save me from the smart children

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I'm making meself look dumb here...but I don't care cause I am :D

why exactly does a helium balloon stay up for only a day or so but it's still full of air?

helium molecules are smaller than latex ones so the helium escapes? or ???

:confuse3:

Latex is an organic substance. It has a stretchy molecular latice. As it stretches, the latice opens, allowing the tiny helium (and hydrogen, should you be adventurous enough) to weep out. This is why Mylar baloons stay inflated. They don't stretch at all. But once the baloon deflates to a certain point, the latice closes up enough to retain what's left inside.

thanks!!!
and the helium ones are smaller than the um air? ones so that the air can stay where the helium can't?

so I was close then...not bad for a girl :lloyd:

Yeppers. Balloon latex is a rather pourous substance. Helium weeps out fast at the start and then slower and slower all the time.

The helium Faeries get tired playing with the balloon after a couple hours and just let the balloon fall to earth.It just looks smaller because gravity is stronger the closer you get to the ground and pushes the sides of the balloon in making it smaller.

:D

A.B.Normal said:
The helium Faeries get tired playing with the balloon after a couple hours and just let the balloon fall to earth.It just looks smaller because gravity is stronger the closer you get to the ground and pushes the sides of the balloon in making it smaller.

Who needs science when yer got imagination? :D

...When rubber balloons are filled with helium so that they float (restrained by ribbons or strings) they can hold their shape for only a few hours. The enclosed air or helium escapes through small pores, and helium atoms being much smaller than the nitrogen and oxygen molecules in air, it escapes much quicker. Even a perfect rubber membrane eventually loses helium to the outside, and its contents are contaminated by oxygen and nitrogen migrating inward from the outside. The gases in question actually dissolve in the rubber on one side and are released from solution on the other. The process by which a substance migrates from a region of high concentration, through a barrier to a region of lower concentration is called osmosis. The inside of balloons can be treated with a special spray (e.g. "Hi Float" brand) to reduce the helium leakage...

what i wanna know is what is it about some stretchy plastic and some gas that sends small children and jack russel terriers over the edge?

unclehobart said:
...When rubber balloons are filled with helium so that they float (restrained by ribbons or strings) they can hold their shape for only a few hours. The enclosed air or helium escapes through small pores, and helium atoms being much smaller than the nitrogen and oxygen molecules in air, it escapes much quicker. Even a perfect rubber membrane eventually loses helium to the outside, and its contents are contaminated by oxygen and nitrogen migrating inward from the outside. The gases in question actually dissolve in the rubber on one side and are released from solution on the other. The process by which a substance migrates from a region of high concentration, through a barrier to a region of lower concentration is called osmosis. The inside of balloons can be treated with a special spray (e.g. "Hi Float" brand) to reduce the helium leakage...
Sorry, unc, but I think I prefer AB's explanation. :lol:

well it worked...they got it and didn't ask me any other questions, so I guess it was enough. :lloyd:

...but they did flop down in disgust and go...but it's not FAIR!!!

:tardbang:

tommyj27 said:
the real truth is...the helium turns into corn-flakes at the stroke of midnight. :nerd:

*crunch crunch*

[helium voice] He's right!! [/helium voice]

Is there any more milk?

tonksy said:
what i wanna know is what is it about some stretchy plastic and some gas that sends small children and jack russel terriers over the edge?

Almost anything can send jack russell terriers (jack russell terrorists) over the edge. That applies to some kids, too.

Leslie said:
well it worked...they got it and didn't ask me any other questions, so I guess it was enough. :lloyd:

...but they did flop down in disgust and go...but it's not FAIR!!!

:tardbang:

I discovered a long time ago, that the best way to stop the "why's" is to deluge them with more information than they can possibly handle right off the bat. They go into shock and learn not to ask again.

Professur said:
I discovered a long time ago, that the best way to stop the "why's" is to deluge them with more information than they can possibly handle right off the bat. They go into shock and learn not to ask again.
That is PRECISELY why I am not a computer tech today :)

Back