School massacres - from a cop point of view

I recommend it, but make sure you know what the farmer is feeding the cow shortly before the slaughter. My parents bought half of a cow from a local farmer who let the cow graze on only grass for the last (some ammount of time). The meat didn't have the best tatse and the texture was a bit off (stringy? I don't remember exactly, it was well after I moved out and only had burgers from that batch).

Start 'em in the field then move 'em to a large corral & feed 'em oats & corn.

So I guess this is one time where chcr's "fuck 'em and feed 'em beans" attitude would be a bad thing...

If I ever buy a pig from a farmer, I want it to eat sauerkraut and drink beer about 6 months prior to death.

I've been tempted several times to buy beef like that. I've got a 6' chest freezer that would be perfect.

My mom always bought beef by the side when I was young. I continued the habit until just a few years ago --- finding a good butcher is getting more difficult.

Besides, now that the hubby and I have hit 60, we don't eat as much beef.

And I'm with SNP, anything past medium rare is a waste of good beef. :toast:

Only if they're medium rare.

Seriously, the era of parasitic meats has all but died out in civilized countries. The need to totally cook out a piece of unground meat is hardly warranted anymore.

But you have to be sure to cook your salad greens to keep from getting E-Coli...

If you're going to cook a thick steak, for goodness sakes, put a temperature probe to it before you remove it from the cooking area. If the interior is not 180F, leave it sit until it is. Doesn't matter if it's rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, or well done. If the interior temp is not 180F, you risk more than worms...

If you're going to cook a thick steak, for goodness sakes, put a temperature probe to it before you remove it from the cooking area. If the interior is not 180F, leave it sit until it is. Doesn't matter if it's rare, medium rare, medium, medium well, or well done. If the interior temp is not 180F, you risk more than worms...

If the middle is 180, it's shoe leather.

Back