Sharky

Gonz said:
Is that not the great struggle? I'm not sure my lack of belief is any more correct than the Pope's (asssumed) absolute belief.
I could assure you, but you still have to decide for yourself. I can't remember where I read this now: "Faith is a useful trait in a priest, but hardly essential."

IDLEchild said:
The most depressing Philosopher. He started the trend of Nihilism...followed by intellectuals who saw through society but instead turned out to be well educated, emo, pseudo intellectuals who had a depressing personality and a even more depressing existence.

He made some good observations but the guy was whino and a cynic of heroic porportions.

he was also a misogynist. but i will admit i liked what he said about religion

chcr said:
"Faith is a useful trait in a priest, but hardly essential."

See. Now ... that's just wrong. :( Faith should be the most essential trait in a priest, first and foremost.

But I guess there's a lot of "should be"'s in the world.

IDLEchild said:
You're an exception then.

Has anyone ever told you your user name is horribly used out of context.
I suggest a name change.

I've mentioned to her on numerous occasions that she's misnomered and is, in fact, not a misanthrope...but she's repudiated it time and again. ;P

BTW - Sharky...I remember seeing your AV assocaited with a poster "Every time that you masturbate, God kills a kitten."

I can't see it without thinking about it an nearly pissin myself. :) Thanks

Squiggy said:
:eek6: That can't be true. If it were, there wouldn't be any cats....Not around my house, anyway...:faptard:

It's on the internet...has to be true. Must be a glitch in the Matrix!!!
gkak.jpg

chcr said:
I could assure you, but you still have to decide for yourself. I can't remember where I read this now: "Faith is a useful trait in a priest, but hardly essential."

Interesting. You have the ability to prove one of the hardest things around to prove (a negative) as well as the ability to prove that there is no God.

Enlighten me, please.

Gonz said:
Interesting. You have the ability to prove one of the hardest things around to prove (a negative) as well as the ability to prove that there is no God.

Enlighten me, please.
Didn't say I could prove it, just that I can assure you. You would then have to decide how much my assurances mean to you. It seems blindingly obvious to me that there is no god, cannot possibly be one. The whole busieness is superstitious claptrap made up by one shaman or another to keep the rank and file in line. You realize that 90% of Judaism was pagiarized from earlier works? It just doesn't hang together; it's clearly a myth system.

I've never fully believed & since my mid-20's I've not had the tiniest bit of faith. I have, however, never felt that I was more enlightened than those that have some or complete faith. It's no easier to disprove than it is to prove. In fact, on a more primitive level, it's pretty damned easy to prove there is one. We exist.

Wow! An intellectual philisophical discussion in a thread bearing my name! The irony! :lloyd: :D

Bish: Hehe - I nicked my av from that "God kills a kitten" thing.

Here's the "kitten's revenge" version:

Gonz said:
I've never fully believed & since my mid-20's I've not had the tiniest bit of faith. I have, however, never felt that I was more enlightened than those that have some or complete faith. It's no easier to disprove than it is to prove. In fact, on a more primitive level, it's pretty damned easy to prove there is one. We exist.
1. You're agnostic, not atheist. Not having faith is not the same as believing there is no god (not beliving in god is not the same as beliving there is no god, but those folks are still atheists, I guess). This is my problem with folks who "used to be" atheist. If you seriously believe there is no god, how do you ask a non-existent deity for guidance? I don't get it. That could be my failing rather than their's (but I doubt it:) ).
2. Enlightenment is an entirely different matter. I don't feel more enlightened than anyone else (okay, more than some). You can be spiritual and not believe in god. you can be enlightened and believe or disbelieve, they aren't related.
3. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to prove or disprove. If something is impossible to prove, how can it be true (note that this is not the same thing as not knowing what the proof is).
4. We exist. Thanks for making my point. Deities were invented by primitive people to explain things they didn't understand. As our knowledge has grown, I think some of us at least have come to realize that unknown does not mean unknowable.

I don't believe that religious believers (my wife is one) are inferior to me. I don't believe they are stupid. That is clearly not so. I believe they look at the same facts I look at and come to an incorrect conclusion based on the fears and prejudices of millenia. I will say that I feel I put more thought and research into becoming atheist then any member of any religion who has ever taken time to discuss it with me has put into their faith (and that's a lot of people over the years).

P.S. I hate it when my kitten jumps on my balls while I'm masturbating.

P.P.S. Philosophical enough for you, Sharky???? :lol:

If something is impossible to prove, how can it be true

Describe red to a life-long blind person.
Prove that our universe in infinite...hell, prove infinity is even possible.

Many things that we know exist require faith.

[edit]after dinner[/edit]

You can be spiritual and not believe in god.

That is one of the most ridiculous arguments I hear, especially from the enlightened ones. Being spiritual is, by it's very essence, religious. Spirituality holds God, or gods, most dear. Don't confuse Spiritual with Incorporeal or Metaphysical.

Unfortunately, Gonz, words mean what they mean, not what you personally define them to mean. Spirtuality doesn't require a supernatural existence (except of course in the mind of the religious person).
spiritual: 1 : of, relating to, consisting of, or affecting the spirit
spirit: 1 : an animating or vital principle held to give life to physical organisms
metaphysics: 1 a (1) : a division of philosophy that is concerned with the fundamental nature of reality and being and that includes ontology, cosmology, and often epistemology
Note that I don't believe in spirituality either, I just point it out as an example. What animates you? Oh, and if you think you're enlightened (not you specifically, but anyone in general) I would have to wonder if that wouldn't be proof you're not. I'm not.

In any case Gonz, the whole idea of proving or disproving a myth is moot. It's all a myth.Do some reading on the subject, it's really very intersting. I'm kind of sorry I got into this discussion with you at all. You want there to be a god, you just have too little faith in the concept.

Finally, believe what you will, I do. If you can't prove it to me then I don't believe it. Red does not exist in the world of someone blind from birth (now that's metaphysical).

Squiggy said:
:eek6: That can't be true. If it were, there wouldn't be any cats....Not around my house, anyway...:faptard:

I don't remember your exact age, but for argument's sake I'll say 45. Now, if you discovered masturbation at 15, that would be 30 years of stroking it. If you stroke it an average of four times a day, that comes out to 43828 telescope polishings in 10957 days (including leap year days). That's really not all that many kitties.

You want there to be a god, you just have too little faith in the concept.

Interesting Dr Freud. That I can't answer because I don't know. I can say that it would certainly simplify matters.

If you can't prove it to me then I don't believe it.

Time

Spiritual
Merriam Webster said:
2 a : of or relating to sacred matters <spiritual songs> b : ecclesiastical rather than lay or temporal <spiritual authority> <lords spiritual>
3 : concerned with religious values
4 : related or joined in spirit <our spiritual home> <his spiritual heir>
5 a : of or relating to supernatural beings or phenomena b : of, relating to, or involving spiritualism : SPIRITUALISTIC

Inkara1 said:
I don't remember your exact age, but for argument's sake I'll say 45. Now, if you discovered masturbation at 15, that would be 30 years of stroking it. If you stroke it an average of four times a day, that comes out to 43828 telescope polishings in 10957 days (including leap year days). That's really not all that many kitties.

He's 51 Inky, but I can't believe you atually did the math!!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

Oh, and Gonz, the most accepted definition is always 1. That's how dictionaries work.
I can say that it would certainly simplify matters.
Further this deponent sayeth not.

Gonz said:
Describe red to a life-long blind person.

"Describe" is in no way related to "prove".

chcr said:
3. As far as I can tell, it's impossible to prove or disprove. If something is impossible to prove, how can it be true (note that this is not the same thing as not knowing what the proof is).

It's elementarily simple to prove that God doesn't exist. The laws of physics and logic preclude it.

The problem is that believers don't rely on logic and adherence to physical laws to substantiate their beliefs. Proof is a logical deduction, which is irrelevant to the minds of believers because his existance is not dependant on logic but on blind faith.

Back