Silence Is Golden.......

I love alone time, but don't get much silent time. Like BCD, the sounds in my head are always rambling. :s

When I'm home alone (like right now) I like to have all the radios, tvs, etc off. I keep the computer on, but it's nice to only hear the sounds of my typing or my cat breathing as she naps on the couch.

Sharky said:
Sometimes on Sunday nights we hitch a hay wagon to the tractor and pull it way out into the middle of a field and stop and climb into the wagon and lay on our backs in the hay and watch the stars and satellites and meteors and neither of us says a word.

Hey Sharky I live out in the country also down a dirt road as a matter of fact. You have brought out a whole new point to the topic. The distraction of lights. It is truly amazing what you can see with the naked eye without the lights of the city flooding them. I highly recomend all of you to take a drive get as far away from city lights as u can. When I lived in the city i seen a shooting star maybe 3 times a year. Now i can see a shooting star about every 5 min. There is noting like staring out into space and letting your mind drift.

it's never quiet here...kids, dogs, cats, television, media player....but on the rare occasion that both my children take a nap and i can toss the dogs outside and turn off the cartoons, i still like to listen to music....i love to take 2 hour baths as well - when i have the chance- i bring my radio in there too...and a book and beverages and smoke....barracade the door with the litterbox so the girls can't bust in....it's the closest i come to solitude.

Late at night, when my insomnia kicks in, I take a good long walk outside. In the 'burbs, the streets are so quiet as to be almost eerie. Occasionally, I can see a hare, cat or skunk crossing a lawn, but that's about it. 1am in the burbs defines silence.

Nitro_Daizy said:
Hey Sharky I live out in the country also down a dirt road as a matter of fact. You have brought out a whole new point to the topic. The distraction of lights. It is truly amazing what you can see with the naked eye without the lights of the city flooding them. I highly recomend all of you to take a drive get as far away from city lights as u can. When I lived in the city i seen a shooting star maybe 3 times a year. Now i can see a shooting star about every 5 min. There is noting like staring out into space and letting your mind drift.

i love that. if i get the chance to i love seeing the stars. so beautiful :)

I'd have to travel a couple of hours to get the kind of darkness you're talking about. But there's a part of my commute home on a small island that, if you pull over, you can count all the planes coming in from the ocean to Kennedy and LaGuardia airports. I think at last count, there were close 30 of them that I could see at one time. It's wild. I always think of the air traffic controllers that are moving them around and that movie with John Cusak and Billy Bob Thornton.

yes watcing airplains is fun too

i use to live close to DFW airport and at the north end there is a runway that has a airport access road right at the end of it as the planes come in for a landing they come RIGHT over your head

in highschool the cool thing to do was go have your pic taken as an airplane was landing. (trying to take the pic at just the right angle while u pose with the look of terror on your face) if you were lucky enough to get it just right it looked like the plane was fixn to crash right on ya

i used to watch the airplane take off and land at DC national...oops, showing my age, reagan national airport. sit on the hood of the car and relax. the stars, the lights from the runway and the planes...very romantic in a way. i'd like to do it again.

Just read up on those frogs. They are damned loud... and stand to be more destructive than whitey ever was. Theyre taking over even though theyve only been there for 15 years.

unclehobart said:
Just read up on those frogs. They are damned loud... and stand to be more destructive than whitey ever was. Theyre taking over even though theyve only been there for 15 years.

well, you'll get to experience their loud irratatingness personally. :devious:

tonks said:
i used to watch the airplane take off and land at DC national...oops, showing my age, reagan national airport. sit on the hood of the car and relax. the stars, the lights from the runway and the planes...very romantic in a way. i'd like to do it again.

its never really referred to as Reagan National. most of us refer to it as National. I used to go the Dulles or BWI to see the planes with my mom when I was litte.

Nitro_Daizy said:

That's what it's all about. From my place it's 40 miles to the nearest "city" (Panama City Beach). The stars are so bright I can drive the tractor around in the fields without headlights, even on a moonless night. But not when it's cloudy! :cool:

You can see the Milky Way, and you can see different color stars - blue, yellow, red, white . . .

There's no way I would live in or near a big city again (originally from a suburb of Atlanta).

Quiet time is what you have when you don't have kids and a company to run. Which I have both.. so I don't have it. :swing:

Back