Since when do you have any rights?

flavio said:
It's certainly possible that every last one of the protestors were illegal. Many legal Mexican-Americans also speak primarily Spanish though. Hell, we have street signs in Chinese in Oakland's Chinatown. Also, the signs mentioned violating the civil rights of Mexicans, they didn't say the people holding them were Mexicans.

Are these signs private (owned and maintained by the businesses), or public (owned and maintained by tax dollars). Private I have no problem with, but public?

Gato_Solo said:
Are these signs private (owned and maintained by the businesses), or public (owned and maintained by tax dollars). Private I have no problem with, but public?
It would seem they are public, but I don't know for sure. Looks like this...

istockphoto_50378_streetsign_in_chinatown.jpg

Another nail in the coffin of common sense, and more fertilizer for the crop of PC.

In response to SnP, I've been to countries with signs in two languages as well...but it was understood that those signs were a courtesy, and not to be in place permanently. Two were in Europe, with signs in German and English, and Spanish and English...coincidentally on US bases...and one was in South Korea...and it was during a military exercise (Ulchi Focus Lens). Leave the 'play' areas and you'd better have some grasp of the local language, or pray that the locals are helpful.

flavio said:
The area is called "Chinatown" and I believe the business pay taxes.

So what's your point? Those signs came from everybody's pockets...not just the businesses in Chinatown. Are those signs bringing in more money than signs just in English?

Oh, yeah...before I forget...How many languages is the California Driver's guide printed in...at the expense of the taxpayers?

Gato_Solo said:
So what's your point? Those signs came from everybody's pockets...not just the businesses in Chinatown. Are those signs bringing in more money than signs just in English?
It's extremely likely that they helped bring in more money than they cost ...wouldn't take much.

Oh, yeah...before I forget...How many languages is the California Driver's guide printed in...at the expense of the taxpayers?
Hopefully enough that all taxpayers can read it.

flavio said:
It's extremely likely that they helped bring in more money than they cost ...wouldn't take much.

Hopefully enough that all taxpayers can read it.

BZZT! Wrong answer. And another complete dodge of the question by flavio.

His voting pattern directly fucks me over, too, because I pay California state income taxes.

Inkara1 said:
His voting pattern directly fucks me over, too, because I pay California state income taxes.

Easy, Inky, easy. He's gone now...perhaps looking for facts to back himself up with.

I avoided answering and got the wrong answer on the same question...wow.

The full answer is "don't know, don't care to look it up, hopefully enough that all the taxpayers can read it".

flavio said:
I avoided answering and got the wrong answer on the same question...wow.

And you thought it couldn't be done?

flavio said:
The full answer is "don't know, don't care to look it up, hopefully enough that all the taxpayers can read it".

Ahh...another "couldn't care less because it doesn't directly affect me" answer. Here's a good question for you...

Outside of Chinatown, most, if not all, signs are written in our alphabet. Your state does the following...

Besides English, the basic Class C written driver license exam is also available in the following languages:

Amharic Arabic Armenian Cambodian
Chinese Croatian French German
Greek Hebrew Hindi Hmong
Hungarian Indonesian Italian Japanese
Korean Laotian Persian/Farsi Polish
Portuguese Punjabi Romanian Russian
Samoan Spanish Tagalog/Filipino Thai
Tongan Turkish Vietnamese

Besides English, the basic Class C audio driver license exam is also available in the following languages:

Armenian Chinese/Mandarin Hindi Hmong
Japanese Korean Portuguese Punjabi
Russian Spanish Vietnamese

That information is taken straight from here.

Before you lose your mind, I'm not picking on just Asia. Cyrillic is an alphabet that is available as well. Now...during my time in Korea, I saw a few signs written in English, but, as I also said, those were on base except for during exercises, where the base had to place signs up inside the 'play area' to assist visiting troops. I had to learn some Korean...and they have a 40 character alphabet BTW...in order to function in their country. Most of the Koreans I ran into spoke English, but that's not the language they preferred to speak. In a foreign land, you adapt, die, or leave. They aren't going to provide you with special services because you are a foreigner. You learn their way. As it should be.Not here. We spend our tax dollars and bend over backward to make folks from foreign lands feel welcome. While this may seem good on the surface, it's actually destroying our society from the inside. Those folks feel no need to adapt to our way of life, so now we have an underclass that is unhappy outside their little area.

Gato_Solo said:
Ahh...another "couldn't care less because it doesn't directly affect me" answer.
Not because it doesn't affect me. I'm certainly not going to look it up just because you're all worked up over it.

Outside of Chinatown, most, if not all, signs are written in our alphabet. Your state does the following...

That information is taken straight from here.
Great!

Before you lose your mind, I'm not picking on just Asia. Cyrillic is an alphabet that is available as well. Now...during my time in Korea, I saw a few signs written in English, but, as I also said, those were on base except for during exercises, where the base had to place signs up inside the 'play area' to assist visiting troops. I had to learn some Korean...and they have a 40 character alphabet BTW...in order to function in their country. Most of the Koreans I ran into spoke English, but that's not the language they preferred to speak. In a foreign land, you adapt, die, or leave. They aren't going to provide you with special services because you are a foreigner. You learn their way. As it should be.Not here. We spend our tax dollars and bend over backward to make folks from foreign lands feel welcome. While this may seem good on the surface, it's actually destroying our society from the inside.
That's a bunch of BS. Tax payer money goes to all sorts of things that benefit one group and not another. Much of it on far more expensive things than some metal street signs or printed material in another language. If a large portion of the taxpayers have special needs then there's nothing wrong with helping them out.

Those folks feel no need to adapt to our way of life, so now we have an underclass that is unhappy outside their little area.
There is no one "way of life" in our country nor should there be. Chinatown here and in San Francisco is a great thing for the cities. They are big tourist attractions, good for the economy, and add cultural flavor. There's no freakin' way they're "destroying society".

flavio said:
Not because it doesn't affect me. I'm certainly not going to look it up just because you're all worked up over it.

Great!

That's a bunch of BS. Tax payer money goes to all sorts of things that benefit one group and not another. Much of it on far more expensive things than some metal street signs or printed material in another language. If a large portion of the taxpayers have special needs then there's nothing wrong with helping them out.

One sign is inexpensive, provided the tooling is in place. One manual is also inexpensive, providing the translator has already done the eir work. You lost your sense of perspective on this, because those signs and manuals cost millions per year to keep up to date and in print.

the deluded one said:
There is no one "way of life" in our country nor should there be. Chinatown here and in San Francisco is a great thing for the cities. They are big tourist attractions, good for the economy, and add cultural flavor. There's no freakin' way they're "destroying society".

So now we're Chinese? How about that? I never knew...

Gato_Solo said:
One sign is inexpensive, provided the tooling is in place. One manual is also inexpensive, providing the translator has already done the eir work. You lost your sense of perspective on this, because those signs and manuals cost millions per year to keep up to date and in print.
Since the signs never change and translation isn't as pricey as you make it out to be I would have to guess "millions per year" is a bit far fetched.

So now we're Chinese? How about that? I never knew...
That was kinda out of nowhere....who said that?

flavio said:
Since the signs never change and translation isn't as pricey as you make it out to be I would have to guess "millions per year" is a bit far fetched.

It's not just signs. It's printed manuals, school books, store items, etc. That's where the millions come from.

flavio said:
That was kinda out of nowhere....who said that?

You did, when you typed this in...

Almost every country on this planet has a national identity...and those that do not, for all their promise, are always relegated to the backwaters of history. History shows this time and again.

Gato_Solo said:
It's not just signs. It's printed manuals, school books, store items, etc. That's where the millions come from.
Manuals, school books (for colleges at least), and store items are are not typically taxpayer items. In this case the manufacturer of the item can sell more of the tiem if they put in another language. It's their call though.

You did, when you typed this in...

Almost every country on this planet has a national identity...and those that do not, for all their promise, are always relegated to the backwaters of history. History shows this time and again.
What does this "national identity" have to do with what I typed? Would you do away with the Chinatown's alltogether if it was up to you?

Back