Smoke 'em if ya got 'em

What should or should not be legal?

• Tobacco and marijuana should both be legal.

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Tobacco should remain legal, and marijuana should remain illegal.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Marijuana should be legalized and tobacco outlawed.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Both should be illegal.

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
All I need are some tasty waves,
a cool buzz, and I'm fine.

jeffy.JPG

In California you can't smoke in ANY place that has employees. Stores, restaurants, titty bars, gas stations... I'm not even sure if you're allowed to smoke in discount cigarette stores.

paul_valaru said:
here the trick is that you can not smoke in a restaurant, only in bars and lounges, so every restaurant besides "family"ones has a lounge

Here they just passed a law that states that entire establishment must be non smoking unless the bar does something like 70% of the business or something like that. So even if the resteraunt has a bar in it, you can't smoke there. Pretty soon they may pass the no smoking in public (including outside) so you won't even be able to go outside for a smoke after your meal.

HomeLAN said:
Nope. Smoking dope will actually get you ejected from my property.

and as the owner of said propertyI am sure everyone will respect your choice.

even whenI smoked heavy, i would always respect whoevers house I was at

paul_valaru said:
I agree there, and I do beleive that you should be able to smoke outside, in you car and in your house and that is it, no bars, no restaurants, nowhere where it can effect someone else

*Ahem. If the owner of said establishments wishes to allow smoking, then it should be their decision alone. If they wish to ban such activities on their premises it should be their choice alone. They bought the establishment, they run the establishment, and they pay to keep the business going. If people want non-smoking places, let them go to the owner, and say that. The state has no business being involved. If said non-smokers do not get the response from the business owner, they can always go somewhere else, or, heres a thought, open their own damned place. Once again, instead of being intelligent, and using their power wisely, the consumer has let the government make their decision for them. What about those of us who do smoke? It's our air, too. I'm now awaiting the verbal backlash of the non-smoking crowd.

A stoned person would walk into a 7-11 with the intention of robbing it & end up buying a bag of Dorito's. Both legal.

I don't smoke anymore, but I fully understand that if I go to a bar or a nightclub, people will be smoking. We usualy just find a special place to put our stinky smoke smelling clothes until laundry day.

Good lord, we've had tobacco control acts in place since 1993 - can't believe it's only just been passed in some of your home countries / states whatevers! And our's are frellin strict too - have a look: link and another.

But even the chimps smoke o'er here see

BTW, I opted that both should be legal.

Gato_Solo said:
*Ahem. If the owner of said establishments wishes to allow smoking, then it should be their decision alone. If they wish to ban such activities on their premises it should be their choice alone. They bought the establishment, they run the establishment, and they pay to keep the business going. If people want non-smoking places, let them go to the owner, and say that. The state has no business being involved. If said non-smokers do not get the response from the business owner, they can always go somewhere else, or, heres a thought, open their own damned place. Once again, instead of being intelligent, and using their power wisely, the consumer has let the government make their decision for them. What about those of us who do smoke? It's our air, too. I'm now awaiting the verbal backlash of the non-smoking crowd.

What about the workers though,the owner can't force them to work around it,thats why most of the legislations are for is to protect the workers not the patrons.

I just don't understand why it had to be Law.
If the store/restaurant owner wants a smoking area, make one,
if not put up a "no smoking" sign.
It seems to me it's worked fine this long. :confused:

A.B.Normal said:
What about the workers though,the owner can't force them to work around it,thats why most of the legislations are for is to protect the workers not the patrons.
If the worker doesn't want to work in a smoking environment, they can look elsewhere.
I've worked some pretty stinky jobs, but there wasn't a law about it. :confused:

"I just don't understand why it had to be Law."

I'm left to believe you are being serious.

How about seatbelt laws
Motorcycle helmet laws
Child safety seat laws
no talkin' on the cel phone while driving laws
don’t leave yer doggie (or kid) in the car laws
don't let yer four year old smoke peyote laws
and a thousand and one other supposed 'laws'
that are enacted every year?

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law.
Winston Churchill

Truer werds are seldom spoken.

A.B.Normal said:

Slavery was abolished a few years back

Winky said:
How about seatbelt laws governmental interference
Motorcycle helmet laws governmental interference
Child safety seat laws governmental interference
no talkin' on the cel phone while driving laws governmental interference
don’t leave yer doggie (or kid) in the car laws governmental interference
don't let yer four year old smoke peyote laws governmental interference
and a thousand and one other supposed 'laws' governmental interference
that are enacted every year?

paul_valaru said:
and as the owner of said propertyI am sure everyone will respect your choice.

even whenI smoked heavy, i would always respect whoevers house I was at

Yeah. If I'm at your place and you light up, I ain't saying a word. If I don't like it, I know where the door is.

A.B.Normal said:

Bullshit. Nobody is forced to work there, either. No employee has a gun to their head, forcing them to do that job, and take that paycheck. They have the exact same ability to change jobs as the consumer does to change establishments. What you just stated may sound like it's a good thing, but, once again, it's the owners place. If the employee doesn't like it, they can always quit. If the owner values the employee more than what his customers want, he can change his policy fo fit the employee, but this doesn't need legislation.

One more thing...Every job has an element of risk. from the doctor getting a disease to the truck driver having an accident. 'Second-hand smoke' is just another risk when you work in an environment that has smoking.

Back