Snow in Parts of Southern California

highwayman

Global warming? Yea right....
Tell me how global warming is doing this....

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=local&id=4929652
LOS ANGELES, January 12, 2007 - A cold snap hit the Southland amid forecasts of record or near-record low temperatures Friday and Saturday night in metropolitan, coastal and valley areas of Los Angeles County.

Post-midnight lows early Friday included 16 in Woodland Hills and 8 in some mountain areas of Los Angeles County, including Warm Springs and Sandberg.
The National Weather Service issued a Freeze Warning, effective from 1 a.m. Saturday until 9 a.m. Sunday, for the Santa Monica Recreational Area and the San Fernando, San Gabriel and Santa Clarita valleys -- areas where a "hard freeze" was expected .

A Freeze Warning is issued when temperatures are expected to dip to 28 degrees or lower for a period of two hours or more.

spike

Evidently still don't have a handle on the global warming concept.

There's been record highs in the midwest. I suppose you would think that proves global warming? :rolleyes:

highwayman

Evidently still don't have a handle on the global warming concept.

There's been record highs in the midwest. I suppose you would think that proves global warming? :rolleyes:

Global warming is that global. 70 degrees in New York with a blizzard in Denver does not constutute global. The term then is isolated areas.

spike

God, I hope so...

Enjoying the weather Gonz? Has any snow stuck to the ground so far this winter at your place? I saw a couple flakes fall in NY and a few patches spanning inches in the so-called mountains of PA the other week.

highwayman

I have seen it snow in the higher elevations in socal over the past 20 years, Even seen smow in Phoenix long before global warming became a catch phrase. This still does not impress me...It only gives the people a way out...

unclehobart

The way they explain the deeper snows under the theory of global warming is that the hotter affectations upon the oceans and whatnot serve to put a greater amount of moisture into the air which makes for greater snowfall when the cold winds do eventually come a-blowin.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Even seen smow in Phoenix long before global warming became a catch phrase.

1n the mid 80s, my buddy & I drove to Phoenix, from LA, just before Christmas. It snowed from west of Palm Springs to Phoenix. Atypical but hardly unusual. Only the second time I'd seen snow in Phoenix. Neither time amounted to squat.

highwayman

One thing that does not come up in the global warming arguements is the facts of changing of weather patterns... If you are going to bring up warming how about cooling, as in ice ages. I am sure the wooly manmoth was thrilled when the weather started getting warm...

chcr

Too cute for words
Enjoying the weather Gonz? Has any snow stuck to the ground so far this winter at your place? I saw a couple flakes fall in NY and a few patches spanning inches in the so-called mountains of PA the other week.

Which, according to your previous argument, proves just exactly dick. And you'd be right. And it's not "global warming" now, it's "climate change." Gotta stay abreast of the current buzzwords.

*sigh* I keep seeing all these histrionics (one can hardly call it a debate now, can one?) on both sides of the issue from people who clearly don't understand the what the real debate is actually about. :grinno:

spike

I was just asking Gonz about the weather out his way and commenting on what I saw out east recently. It was unseasonably warm, not that it "proves" anything.