Snow tires to become Mandatory!

MrBishop said:
/me mumbles something about not being *real* Canadians unless you have to shovel at least 6ft of snow per year.

I'm awful close to being Canadian then... At least we don't live on the other side of the lake, SW Michigan seems to have perpetual lake effect snow all winter. I wonder how large our salt truck/snow plow fleet is here in Chicago, we've had quite a few blizzards here. I remember when I was little I found a board game in our basement called "The Great Chicago Blizzard." That was a real cool game. :D

Professur said:
I've ditched a front wheel drive sporting 4 winter tires before. At 5mph.
Done it twice myself, it helps but it also tends to make people a little cocky. Same goes with the big 4 x 4's though, I can't count the number of good size trucks I've seen in ditches because they thought they could go through anything. When a vehicle starts sliding, they all slide about the same.

Oh yeah, snowtires, here in MO they aren't required at all, but they are forbidden ( the studded ones) between certain dates, something like March to November.

PT said:
Done it twice myself, it helps but it also tends to make people a little cocky. Same goes with the big 4 x 4's though, I can't count the number of good size trucks I've seen in ditches because they thought they could go through anything. When a vehicle starts sliding, they all slide about the same.

Oh yeah, snowtires, here in MO they aren't required at all, but they are forbidden ( the studded ones) between certain dates, something like March to November.

I BELIEVE studded tires and forbidden here all together. They're allowed in Newfoundland me thinks...I guess they're almost necessary there...but here they're a no no.

Ontario is the only province to ban them
canada.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/cars/tires/tirestud.html

Nixy said:
That's because ontario is filled with idiots who will put the studded tires ON but not take them off and it'll rip the road all to hell!!

I swear...Ontario is BY FAR the stupidest province populationwise

Thats only because the politicians in Ottawa skew the stats in favour of lunacy.
:nerd:

Oh that and Maple Leaf fans.

A.B.Normal said:
Thats only because the politicians in Ottawa skew the stats in favour of lunacy.
:nerd:

Oh that and Maple Leaf fans.

HEY NOW! Maple Leafs fans are good people!

It's snowed once in my lifetime here. That REALLY doesn't justify the cost of winter tires, especially the gas mileage hit. My all-seasons channel away plenty of water and all I need in this area are the ability to drive in the rain and on dry pavement.

Never heard of winter tires compromising fuel economy ,but they do wear faster due to their softer compound,so there is an economic hit there.

Gato_Solo said:
I'm all for the f'n pina coladas, but, believe it or not, sometimes it actually snows here in SC. They close schools and state government offices at the threat of a dusting of snow... :rolleyes:
Same here. As a state employee, I can't complain much. :D

PT said:

People assume that if they havce a 4x4 that they don't need snow tires...but they actually need it more than regular cars... their 4WD will accellerate them better in snow, but they're top-heavy and will tend to swerve more on snow and ice than most. That...and, like you said, the ego! Drive like a lunatic because they have 4x4. Schmucks!

Lesson #1 - ABS is useless without the right tires. Your brakes won't lock, but it's not your brakes that stop the car/truck/SUV. The brakes stop the tires...the tires stop the vehicle. Shit tires...welcome to ditch-ville.

Back