so, about tomorrow ...

nalani

is everyone going to go to work and school and go on about their normal business? I plan to treat it almost like any other day .. just keeping my eyes and ears open ... a little more alert, I guess ...

Nahhh, I've got a flight to catch first thing in the morning.

Ok, really bad. Bad Puter. Bad Puter.

Actually, besides a Dr appt in the morning, it will be a pretty normal day for me.

*edited - very presumptuous of me as a non American to butt into this - apologies*

fi said:
*edited - very presumptuous of me as a non American to butt into this - apologies*

fi, this was an attack on the world, not just the US. Please feel free to put your two cents in.

nah was just saying I'm going to two commemorations, so it'll be a sad day, but work as usual. It will be a good thing to be able to pay my respects.

I'll take a moment to pay my respects to those who died in the attacks, and to those who gave their lives to save others.

I'll have to continue 'normal' life though...a lot of work on school tomorrow :(

But I will definately remember those who have died in those attacks.

My flag will be "half mast" :) I got a black ribbon to drape over it. The rest of the day I will go about my normal business.

hey fi .. it wasn't presumptuous of you in anyway .. what happened last year happened to the world, not just America ...

post on dear girl .. post on :)

Looking at some responses on message boards and such, I've been thinking that the farther people are from NYC, the less they care or are affected by what happened.

I wish other people would think of it as a tragedy for the world, not just America or NY specifically. And for those who could care less about what happened, I hope that they never have to be as close to it as we are here. It's too bad that there is a lack of compassion in some cases but on the whole, I was surprised at the rest of the world's response of sympathy for us.

It's true ... we aren't as directly affected by what happened, but I'm still saddened by it and cried for people I didn't even know.

I'm doing what I would want other people to do if I had died in that event. Fly my flag half mast, think and pray in the morning, and go about my normal business. I personally don't think they would want us to spend the entire day in front of the TV or in some event just to honor them that way.

LastLegionary said:
I personally don't think they would want us to spend the entire day in front of the TV or in some event just to honor them that way.

I think sometimes the media does these things just for ratings.

oops forgot to say what I was doin tomorrow.

Rusty has to go to work and his subway stop lets him off right in front of Ground Zero. He's only a few blocks from it. There is going to be a moment of silence at 8:46am (at least city/state wide, don't know if anywhere else is doing it) and my entire company (or at least those who come to work before 9am) is going to observe the minute of silence.

The 5 bagpipe bands are going to start marching from each of the five boroughs of NYC at 1am and they're going to meet at Ground Zero where they'll have a 'rememberance'.

Besides working, I'm going to call my loved ones and go home to my boyfriend so we can be sad together.

I was in Maspeth today which is only about a mile out from NYC and I was edgy all day-I want to remember but I don't want to be that close. Unfortunately, Rusty doesn't have a choice. I just don't like the idea of him being in the 'hot zone' again. I'll just be happy when we're both home for the day.

Thanks you two. :)

I know most are not as directly affected but I don't understand a total lack of compassion. I feel compassion about goings-on in other parts of world and I guess I assumed most people would feel that way when something as big as this happens. I wonder if it's as huge to other people as it is to me... I keep likening it to the Oklahoma City bombing... but that didn't throw us into a war.

i aught to explain a little more by what i mean by a 'normal day'.

i shall probly mark the moments of silence, as i did last year, but [and without intending to sounding callous] the media run up to this has stripped away what little emotion i had left. we are practically being told to wallow in the terrible, wretched, awfulness of it and i will not cheapen the experiences of those who were genuinely involved, affected and touched by the event by becoming an emotional 'hanger-on'.

in a place like new york i think the situation is a little different, and the rest of the us different from other countries.

i prefer the solemn dignity of remembrance and thought. compassion yes, but nothing more, from me, here in the uk, feels appropriate.

Back