So I finally have a flat panel monitor...

JJR512

An aquaintance of mine bought a Samsung SyncMaster 730B from Best Buy several months ago. Out of the box, it didn't work. The image on the screen was totally garbled. He called Samsung, they told him to download new drivers and try them. He did, it didn't help. He never did anything else about it, so it just sat there, not working. I asked him what he planned to ultimately do about it, and he said I could have it, and do whatever I wanted with it.

So I took it, tried it, called Samsung, explained what was going on, and they asked me where I wanted my replacement sent. :)

So now I have a monitor that costs at Best Buy right now about $335, and all I had to do was spend about two hours of my time (on the phone with Samsung, and at a UPS store, where the new one was sent to exchange with the old one).

My 1999-era 17" Sylvania curved screen has served me well, but it's time for it to go.

Now that I have one, can someone tell me the product or procedure to use to clean the screen? I don't want to scratch it.

And any other tips, too.

JJR512 said:
Now that I have one, can someone tell me the product or procedure to use to clean the screen? I don't want to scratch it.

And any other tips, too.

If it's just dust just wipe it with a soft cloth...like an eye glasses cleaning cloth. If you need to get smudges (mine always ends up with little water spots...for some reaosn...) use a moist cloth...always do both while it's off and if you use water make sure it's dry before you turn the monitor back on.

i used the washcloth from the kitchen sink to clean my laptop off this afternoon. You can buy the special cleaning cloth if you want, i only clean my display when i have trouble seeing it though, so i'm not overly concerned with wearing scratches into it.

Try not to touch/spit the screen, and by all means avoid any other person from doing it. Those water spots are saliva ;)

If everything it catches is dust then a soft cloth will be enough (just like Nixy said).

Luis G said:
Try not to touch/spit the screen, and by all means avoid any other person from doing it. Those water spots are saliva ;)

If everything it catches is dust then a soft cloth will be enough (just like Nixy said).

Actually...for me they're often from my hair after a shower...I don't like blowdryers...and i tend to turn my head forgetting my hair is wet and little droplets go flying.

Nixy said:
Actually...for me they're often from my hair after a shower...I don't like blowdryers...and i tend to turn my head forgetting my hair is wet and little droplets go flying.

Ohhh that could be too. But I've found that when I laugh hysterically some of them appear :lol:

Luis G said:
Ohhh that could be too. But I've found that when I laugh hysterically some of them appear :lol:

hahaha I don't sit THAT close to my monitor!

Back