So much for...

*came back*

I go one further than chcr...if you were wrasslin' it down by hand, that would be sport. If you got face to face with it, that'd be hunting.

Leslie said:
*came back*

I go one further than chcr...if you were wrasslin' it down by hand, that would be sport. If you got face to face with it, that'd be hunting.
I did stare one face to face, from about 10 yards away. Unfortunately my bow was hanging from my stand about 20 yards away.

chcr said:
1. I don't know anyone who hunts because they'd starve without it. ;) (What's hunted venison cost, about $150 a pound?)
I think closer to $20 a pound, but surely more expensive than a beef or pig.

PuterTutor said:
I think closer to $20 a pound, but surely more expensive than a beef or pig.
I'm talking about when you hunt it. Including equipment, time spent, etc. :D

Oh, and if you couldn't tell the most travelled deer trails in the woods...

Les, I have a friend who says it isn't a sport unless the deer have an equal chance of killing you. :lol:

chcr said:
I have a friend who says it isn't a sport unless the deer have an equal chance of killing you. :lol:
Precisely the reason I don't hunt bear, mountain lions, etc..
I have gone on a wild boar hunt though, those little fuckers can be dangerous.

PuterTutor said:
Precisely the reason I don't hunt bear, mountain lions, etc..
I have gone on a wild boar hunt though, those little fuckers can be dangerous.

I've never done wild boars (bores from time to tim, but you aren't allowed to kill 'em), but javelina are kind of fun. Good eatin' too.

I've heard some wild stories about them things too. Apparently their head is very hard. I've heard stories of an arrow sticking in the skull and all it did was piss it off pretty good.

I started to cry when I read that about the poor widdle piggy. Then I read your sig, PT and I started to giggle.

I think I'm crackin up :blank:

That poor widdle piggy is one of the most dangerous animals on earth & makes a good roast. Nice combination.

chcr said:
Tracking is pretty much never impossible although it can be quite difficult. There were only two years that I hunted with a bow that I didn't get a deer. Maybe they were more plentiful where I was. I'm sorry, but I have very strong feelings about this. It's not personal, I just have known a lot of people who consider themselves "mighty hunters" that I personally have a low opinion of.

Okay. I'll bite. Where did you bow hunt, what type of weather, and how close did you actually get? Perhaps you were/are a better shot than me. Perhaps, after a good rain, or a heavy snowfall, the ground vegetation was silent. :shrug: Taking those scenarios into consideration, I'll grant that tracking can be easier. Deer population is also key in this, as you've mentioned.

PuterTutor said:
I've got a Merlin Storm, draw weight is right at 65 lbs, shoot 100 grain Montecs on Gold Tip Traditional Hunter carbon arrows. They leave the bow at about 315 feet per second. My drop between 20 and 30 yards is just over two inches, 20 to 40 it drops about 15 inches.

I'm assuming that you're not using these on the tips
BHD.jpg

I've got a Bear 30/60 and with these heads on, I get far too much drop to really make it worthwhile shooting at anything beyond about 20 yards.

If you'r just using regular arrow-heads...that's not so bad.

MrBishop said:
I'm assuming that you're not using these on the tips
BHD.jpg

I've got a Bear 30/60 and with these heads on, I get far too much drop to really make it worthwhile shooting at anything beyond about 20 yards.

If you'r just using regular arrow-heads...that's not so bad.
Montecs
i415362sq01.jpg

That tip weighs the same as my field tips. 100 grains.

Gato_Solo said:
Okay. I'll bite. Where did you bow hunt, what type of weather, and how close did you actually get? Perhaps you were/are a better shot than me. Perhaps, after a good rain, or a heavy snowfall, the ground vegetation was silent. :shrug: Taking those scenarios into consideration, I'll grant that tracking can be easier. Deer population is also key in this, as you've mentioned.
Upstate New York in late fall (probably early fall to you, but it's practically Canodia up there ;) ) at first, and the last couple of years in AZ (much harder there, BTW). To be fair, the deer population in Upstate New York was fairly high back then. I probably couldn't do it now, but back then I could hit a stationary target accurately with minimal wind at 45-50 yards, moving target out to thirty or so. Needless to say I would try to get closer. :) Even today, fat and out of shape I can frequently get within 20 yards of a deer before it spooks (I just play now, I never really liked venison that much anyway). Tracking and skulking (for want of a better word) quietly in the woods is an acquired skill as I'm sure you well know and I used to be pretty good at it. For me, the hardest part was always staying downwind regardless of terrain. Well nigh impossible in AZ as I can't fly. Sometimes there you have to just give up on one you're almost close enough to shoot.

Otherwise, a Jennings Arrowstar compound bow (compounds were pretty new back then). I had learned to shoot with a recurve and I fell in love with the Jennings, although I have no idea what happened to it now. :shrug: 65 lb, 26 inch draw. Other than that, I had good teachers. For me, the most important part of hunting was always the skill and the woodcraft involved. And, since I'm an opinionated, disdainful jackass, I frequently present my opinions in an opinionated, disdainful and jackassed way. I long ago stopped apologizing for things I'm not really sorry for, so I won't. It was not my intention to denigrate someone else's way of having fun, just putting in my two cents. :D

Edit: Ooh, look, piccy. :D

PuterTutor said:
Montecs
i415362sq01.jpg

That tip weighs the same as my field tips. 100 grains.

Wow...fairly lightweight. Then again, it's been a while since I tried buying one or using it. I havn't shot my bow in almost 1 year now...trying to setup a target at my father-in-law's cabin to keep in practice.

I have given up big game hunting with guns, I now shoot 'em with a Sony 330, and hopefully soon a F828 or better (often armed while doing it thoo)

I remember as a kid there being far more deer in my area then there are now. Thanx to the moratorium on mountain lions, they have reduced the deer population even more. (every cat eats ~1 deer week). I haven't seen any big cats in 20 years but I increasingly do see their tracks, sometimes very close.

We've had an increase of attacks on people by big cats around here. When we're in their turf I keep a good eye on my tasty little children. Moratorium or not I would not hesitate with an approaching cat.

My brother hunts boar with a bow, he likes it.

chcr said:
And, since I'm an opinionated, disdainful jackass, I frequently present my opinions in an opinionated, disdainful and jackassed way. I long ago stopped apologizing for things I'm not really sorry for, so I won't. It was not my intention to denigrate someone else's way of having fun, just putting in my two cents. :D

Edit: Ooh, look, piccy. :D

I hadn't assumed you were an opinionated, disdainful jackass. I was just trying to get a bit of clarification...but now that we all know...:D

Gato_Solo said:
I hadn't assumed you were an opinionated, disdainful jackass. I was just trying to get a bit of clarification...but now that we all know...:D
Meh... You knew it before, you were just bein' polite. :D

chcr said:
Meh... You knew it before, you were just bein' polite. :D
*Raises Hand

I knew, I knew!!

oh wait. nevermind.

Nice old bow you got there chcr, I'll have to take a pic of mine when I get home.

PuterTutor said:
Nice old bow you got there chcr, I'll have to take a pic of mine when I get home.

Actually, that's just a pic I found online. I gave the bow to my little brother years ago. I'd be awful surprised if he had it anymore, although he still hunts. Knowing him he probably buys the newest, most high-tech job available about every third year.

Back