So now it is against the law to have a baby without professional assistance?

jimpeel

It seems that this woman had a baby in her hotel room without calling for assistance. She thinks she had a spontaneous abortion and the authorities think she gave birth. Regardless, the baby is dead and she is in the hospital and is charged with infanticide.

Has it gotten so bad that a woman cannot have an unassisted birth without the government intervening? Just how much should a twenty-year-old woman supposed to know about having babies anyway? Hell, three years ago she was considered too young to have sex.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,389461,00.html

Greece: British Vacationer Charged With Infanticide After Unassisted Birth
Wednesday, July 23, 2008

ATHENS, Greece — A 20-year-old British tourist has been charged with causing the death of her baby son after she gave birth alone in her hotel room in Greece, a prosecutor's office said Wednesday.

The office on the island of Crete said the woman was charged late Tuesday with infanticide, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years.

A coroner said the baby appeared to have been suffocated.

The incident occurred early Monday at a resort that is popular with British tourists.

The suspect remains hospitalized under police guard after suffering extensive bleeding. She told hospital officials she had suffered a miscarriage.

She is due to appear Thursday before an investigative magistrate who will recommend whether she will be taken into custody.

British authorities have identified the woman as Leah Andrews, from London.

The woman was on vacation at the Malia resort with her sister and a female friend.

And just so you know, you linked to the wrong article. Not that I'm complaining, the one you linked to is highly amusing. :lol2:

It was probably the suffocated part that did her in.

Yup

Wouldn't trust the Greek authorities as far as I could throw em though... very reactionary! They had 5 Brit plain spotters incarcerated for years under suspicion of terrorism because they weren't aware such a hobbie existed!!!!

The girl is probably unmarried, taken a flight (she either didin't know or look pregnant... as pregnant ladies in the final trimester normally can't fly... more likely early in the pregnancy) not ready, extremely scared, etc etc etc...

Its the suffocation part thats got her into trouble but they'd have to prove the baby's lungs were developed enough for suffocation not to occur naturally... the cord didin't wrap round the neck... mucus wasn't unintentionally not cleared from the airway... etc etc etc...

For me its a clear case of missadventure... starting right back with who ever it was the girl slept with!!!

Oh, and as for the initial comment. Not entirely sure about the USA..or Greece for that matter...but up here, midwives are finally able to perform home-births. Before, it was only at a clinic or birthing center. In Spain, you can have your kids wherever you want to - but you accept responsibility for any mishaps

Yeah...I think the point here is that there is a difference between 'suffocated' and 'been suffocated', and coroners can tell the difference.

There is also a difference between 'spontaneous abortion' and 'born alive and mother didn't do shit to help it/mother smothered it with pillow' - coroners can tell the difference there too.

58573.jpg

Oh, and as for the initial comment. Not entirely sure about the USA..or Greece for that matter...but up here, midwives are finally able to perform home-births. Before, it was only at a clinic or birthing center. In Spain, you can have your kids wherever you want to - but you accept responsibility for any mishaps

When did that come about? Are you sure it's not just crazy Quebec? I'm relatively certain that other provinces have allowed home births for quite some time.

Yeah...I can't remember home births 'not' being allowed.

Sometime in the 90s they made midwives covered under OHIP here, but they weren't 'disallowed' ever.

Perhaps crazy Quebec law...

For my son, we weren't allowed... for my daughter we were allowed and it had just changed. We decided NOT to have the home birth for Luna Rose, because we didn't want to have the added stress of entertaining added to birth.

Weren't allowed? or wasn't covered under provincial healthcare?

You should move out of that crazyassed place. :p

Every province is different.
Ontario is stupid too, the only province that still has sealed adoption records that are next to impossible to get opened.

My sister in law was born in a taxi. It's never been illegal for a woman to give birth outside of a hospital. The baby being dead afterwards falls into the same category as if my oldest didn't wake up in the morning. Naturally any unusual death gets investigated. That's SOP.

Prof said:
It's never been illegal for a woman to give birth outside of a hospital.
Nope - but that's accidents for you. Having a midwife plan a home birth prior to the change would've cost her her license..same as if she insists on handling a difficult birth (like breech or twins f'r instance).

If you can't get to a hospital in time and you happen to have your doctor or midwife handy - those got overlooked - as long as the woman got taken to the hosital for a checkup shortly thereafter. Failure to do so might mean the license (especially if something goes wrong - like in this case)

It was probably the suffocated part that did her in.

There are many ways for the baby to suffocate without anyone's help. If she did not know how to clear the mucus plugs in the baby's nose and throat. If the umbilical cord was wrapped around the baby's neck.

Back