so...the Olympics are on...

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
WOOT! Bronze for the US in curling... our first ever anything in the sport.

I have actually come to like curling during these the twenty-ith olympia...:D

Professur

Curling is ... a spectator sport. The energy and tension just doesn't make it through a cathode ray tube. You simply can't get a true perspective of the length of the ice and the hair's width control they have with 50+lbs granite stones. The echos of the yelling driving the adreneline.

But since they did away with the corn broom, I'm not as big a fan. The slap-slap-slap on the ice quickly became your heartrate. Scrubbing with a nylon brush just (16) kills it for me.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
Curling is ... a spectator sport. The energy and tension just doesn't make it through a cathode ray tube. You simply can't get a true perspective of the length of the ice and the hair's width control they have with 50+lbs granite stones. The echos of the yelling driving the adreneline.

But since they did away with the corn broom, I'm not as big a fan. The slap-slap-slap on the ice quickly became your heartrate. Scrubbing with a nylon brush just (16) kills it for me.

They have brushes with and without bristles too...what's that about?

Professur

Streaker cuts no ice at bronze medal match

PINEROLO, Italy (Reuters) - Britain's match against the United States for the men's curling bronze medal was interrupted on Friday when a male streaker ran across the ice.

With poultry for a loin cloth, the man vaulted the barriers and danced up and down the side of the ice sheet for several minutes before being bundled away by bemused rink attendants.

The British team, skipped by David Murdoch, who were lagging the U.S. 6-2 in the sixth end, rested on their brooms, laughing, while the streaker jiggled past.

As armed police ejected the man, naked into the cold mountain air, he was heard to plead in a Scottish accent: "Please will someone bring me my clothes?"

The British team, made up of all Scots, went on to lose the game 8-6.

Well that made the game more interesting, at least.

Source

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Damn Gushue always making me cry...he called his mom AS SOON as they won...so sweet.

Winky

sash.JPG

K62

Canada wins gold in curling! Wow, that was the first game I have ever watched of curling... I really enjoyed it! It's amazing how much control they have over those stones.

That Mark Nichols feller was great!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
K62 said:
Canada wins gold in curling! Wow, that was the first game I have ever watched of curling... I really enjoyed it! It's amazing how much control they have over those stones.

That Mark Nichols feller was great!

Of course, he's a newfie :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
The primary grades at the school are having a mock Olympics today to celebrate both the Olympics and the beginning of March Break, which starts at end of school today.

The teachers sent a note home yesterday asking for loans of GT Racer sleds

5454_lg.gif

to use for a boblsled run! :eek:

I don`t know that I see this ending well.

Professur

At the cottage last year, I set up a bob sled run using an old aluminium tobaggan. I gave out long before the kids got tired of it.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I was beating myself up all day for not sending him with one. But then he would have got beaten up, so I guess it all washes out.

They got rained out in the end, so everyone got home ok, heads intact :lloyd:

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Leslie said:
I was beating myself up all day for not sending him with one. But then he would have got beaten up, so I guess it all washes out.

They got rained out in the end, so everyone got home ok, heads intact :lloyd:

hmmmm

next year i will tell them it is fun to go down head first.

AlphaTroll

What in the hell is the fuss about curling? Sounds stupid to me - curling is something you do with hair, not a sport for ice.