Southern Baptists...

HomeLAN

Greensboro, N.C. — Southern Baptists held the line against alcoholic spirits on Wednesday, passing a resolution expressing "our total opposition to the manufacturing, advertising, distributing, and consuming of alcoholic beverages."

The resolution blames alcohol for the breakup of families and" countless injuries and deaths on the nation's highways."

It urges that members of the denomination's trustee boards and committees be committed abstainers.

The vote followed a volley of debate by messengers to the annual meeting of the 16-million-member denomination.

"Southern Baptists have always stood against consumption of alcohol," said Dwayne Mercer, pastor of First Baptist Church in Oviedo, Fla., a member of the convention's resolutions committee. "Southern Baptists have always believed in total abstinence... My parents always taught me if you don't take the first drink, you don't have to worry about taking the last."

But Benjamin Cole of Parkview Baptist Church in Arlington, Texas, compared alcoholism to gluttony, saying he was concerned that the convention chose to address the sins of others rather than their own.

Opponents of the resolution pointed out that the Old Testament said God blessed wine, that Jesus turned water into wine and that the apostle Paul urged his disciple Timothy to have "a little wine" for his stomach.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/0614baptistsalcohol.html

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

Having lived down here since I was 2, I can tell you that these are the same folks who loudly support blue laws making it impossible to buy beer on "the sabbath" - and then very quietly stock up on Saturday so they can swill their brews in front of the ball game after church the next day.

God save me from your followers.......

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
We've got a different breed of Baptist up here, thankfully.
That's the church Avery attends.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I am Southern.

I am Baptist.

I am NOT Southern Baptist. They do a lot of things I disagree with.

Just wanted folks to know there is a distinction.

catocom

I AM Southern Baptist, but the difference is, I'm not fanatical about it.
Extreme anything is bad IMO.

Professur

catocom said:
I AM Southern Baptist, but the difference is, I'm not fanatical about it.
Extreme anything is bad IMO.

I never would have guessed. Or cared, for that matter, but that's another topic.

highwayman

HomeLAN said:
Having lived down here since I was 2, I can tell you that these are the same folks who loudly support blue laws making it impossible to buy beer on "the sabbath" - and then very quietly stock up on Saturday so they can swill their brews in front of the ball game after church the next day.

that's a no shiter, I have been in more then a few Georgia and Kansas houses that the garage is dedicated to the storage of beer and tools..There are a couple that it was a difficult choise in what to keep there or the living room..

freako104

HomeLAN said:
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/stories/0614baptistsalcohol.html

BWAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!

God save me from your followers.......

Ironically I have not had too much a problem with them and my school is not too far from Greensboro (I think Wilson is about a 45 min drive from there).

SnP: We know there is a distinction my friend. No worries there. You have always come across as respectful and never in any way reminded me of a Southern Baptist :)

rrfield

Why do you always bring two Southern Baptists fishing?

If you bring just one, he will drink all your beer.