Speak too much Amurrican?

Odd that M$ Word grammar would mess you up on a test on M$N.

For shits and giggles, check out this classified help wanted ad from today's Fresno Bee and see if you can find the mistake:

The Fresno Bee said:
*PROOF READER*
FT Immed. Req's xlnt
English Grammer skills &
exp. w/MS Word. Fax
resume to: 451-0510

Nice work!
Do you diagram sentences in your spare time? You got 10/10 correct.

I don't know why I bothered doing it as I knew what the outcome would be anyway.

Inkara1 said:
Odd that M$ Word grammar would mess you up on a test on M$N.

For shits and giggles, check out this classified help wanted ad from today's Fresno Bee and see if you can find the mistake:

The Fresno Bee said:
*PROOF READER*
FT Immed. Req's xlnt
English Grammer skills &
exp. w/MS Word. Fax
resume to: 451-0510

I could tell you how many mistakes I found in my paper today, but then you'd probably say that I have some sort of obssession... :lol:

My paper has its fair share of mistakes too. I only posted the ad that I did because of what it was advertising, and the irony of the error in it.

Inkara1 said:
My paper has its fair share of mistakes too. I only posted the ad that I did because of what it was advertising, and the irony of the error in it.

Well, considering that most journalists use computers to write and submit their stories I'm not sure who to blame... them for not using the spellchecker or the type setters... :lol:

Aunty Em said:
considering that most journalists use computers to write and submit their stories I'm not sure who to blame

If the journalists knew how to write correctly in the first place it would be irrelevant whether they used their spell-checkers or not.

a13antichrist said:
If the journalists knew how to write correctly in the first place it would be irrelevant whether they used their spell-checkers or not.
:headbang:

That's why my copy has always been about the cleanest on campus. Usually if there's any change made, it's for a minor AP style error.

the industry standard journalism package in teh uk is quark x-press. it doesn't have a grammar check function.

in my experience writing a fool proof grammar checker that will work across the spectrum of journalistic writing would be almost impossible. quark is first and foremost a page design program, even its spell checker is pretty light weight.

the profession should not need a grammar checker if they trained their staff properly in the first place; sadly many do not.

Back