Speaking of early adopters

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You Europeons & Japanese (do we have any Japanese members) keep your "we've been doing this for decades" comments short please.

Our water heater (almost said hot water heater) is in its final throes. Has been for awhile & it's now urgent. Since there's a DNR, we will need to replace it. I've been looking into tankless water heaters.

Any experiences to share or suggestions from those with experience?

Never heard of them before now, though I suppose that I should look into it. My tank's getting old now, and I need to replace one element.

I had planned on getting 2 tanks to replace mine. 1 60gal reg. electric and 1 20gal. non insulated/non heated tank.
Water comes from outside and sits in the smaller tank while my own house's heat brings it up to about 20degC or so, so that when the 60gal starts asking, the incoming water has to be heated less to get to shower/washing machine levels. Works great in the winter when the water's coming in at below zero.

Every degree that the water doesn't have to be heated by my tank is practically a dollar in my pocket. :)

I bought a tankless (in the states, they're illegal in canada) for the cottage. Never installed it, tho. It's a give and take thing. You don't have any hot water on standby, but you're also not heating water you're not gonna use right away. The cruz is that, while they're not heating water all day, when you do use them, they draw an insane amount of current. The one I bought needed a 45A 220V circuit all to itself. Now, if you were to install ones for each faucet, the total cost is higher for the equipment, but you can stay within realistic electric requirements.

The one I'm look at has a flow igniter...instead of a pilot light, the flow of the water creates a spark & ignites the 117,000BTU natural gas heating elements. No continually reheating the same tank of water or running out of hot water or paying for the pilot.

Oh, natural gas. Much better. But again you see. 117,000 btu is a helluva lot of heat. Can your existing piping supply it?

AT the current cost of NG, I'd actually considered switching to AC, then thinking that our power may go out in an inopportune time (like when I'm showering), decided NG was a better bet.

I'll have to look into the flow, but I believe it'll be okay.

Gonz said:
You Europeons & Japanese (do we have any Japanese members) keep your "we've been doing this for decades" comments short please.

Our water heater (almost said hot water heater) is in its final throes. Has been for awhile & it's now urgent. Since there's a DNR, we will need to replace it. I've been looking into tankless water heaters.

Any experiences to share or suggestions from those with experience?

chill down highwayman.... personal attacks cease now.

highwayman said:
Piss on them, who is paying the bill? Thats right you are not so go fuck yourself....

Dude...that was uncalled for...

Gonz. Tankless is the way to go. You also won't need more than 2, regardless of usage...unless you're running a washer, dishwasher, and 2 showers at once, 2 are more than adequate. The best part is...you get all that space the tank was using up.

highwayman said:
Piss on them, who is paying the bill? Thats right you are not so go fuck yourself....

Care to rephrase so I have some clue as to what you're talking about?

Back