Spring is springing!!

greenfreak

My tulips have broken ground and the leaves get bigger and bigger by the day, I can't wait till they bloom! Last weekend it was beautiful, over 65 degrees and it looks like none of the overnight temps are going below freezing anymore. Tomorrow is going to be 60 again!!

In celebration of spring, I went crazy for daisies and ordered a whole bunch of seeds:

1095M_large.jpg
6 packets of Livingstone Daisy 'Harlequin Mixed'

1296_large.jpg
2 packets of Osteospermum 'Passion Mixed'

728_large.jpg
2 packets of Swan River Daisy 'Purple Splendor' (did you know some daisies smell good? I didn't but this one and the next one have a sweet smell)

728a_large.jpg
and finally 2 packets of Swan River Daisy 'White Splendor'

How's weather by you? Growing anything??

growing anything? lol the snow's not even gone yet :lol:

but it definitely smells like spring out there! WOOHOO!

Oh, I plan on harvesting them sometime towards the middle of summer. Top them before that. :D

I didn't plant anything. But the ground is soft enough to dig for worms. Almost time to go fishing. :D

PuterTutor said:
I threw some seeds out back a while ago, does that count?

:laugh:

We just dropped grass seed in some bald spots a couple weeks ago. Just dropped seed, nothing else. It's coming in nicely, about 1.5 inches high.

Leslie, I went shopping around at a bunch of sites to see who had the best stock, who shipped to the US, checked with the experts over at gardenweb and www.stokeseeds.com had the best selection/price/reputation. Since I ordered over $30. worth, I got free shipping also. And they do ship to Canada, although I don't know if you'll get the free shipping after $30. too.

Q, I really wish you would get those pics up, I had you in mind when I started this thread. Show those Sweet Peas off!! At least give us a running list of what you have so far. :D

I just found out a neat trick for potted plants. I put rocks inside on the bottom to promote good drainage and save some dirt but a lot of people use styrofoam peanuts. They don't bio-degrade so they won't get all mushy and gross and they're a hell of a lot lighter. I have tons of the stuff at work that I don't use so I'm bringing a bunch home with me.

greenfreak said:
Q, I really wish you would get those pics up, I had you in mind when I started this thread. Show those Sweet Peas off!! At least give us a running list of what you have so far.:D
Dino, the puter with the big HDD is having some kind of a meltdown. I haven't been in the mood to screw with him, so he's grounded for the time being. He has the camera software on him :(
The sweet peas are really tall, about 15" now. The other flowers are: 2 portulacas, an impatien, a hanging new guinea impatien, a dracena, a fire cracker, heather, lavender, 2 dianthus, pansies, and assorted blue things which don't have any flowers yet, and some other sprouts, which I can't remember what they are anymore :D oh and one other one which may or may not be something along the lines of good smelling garlic.

:laugh:

She's HOOKED!! :dance:

I took the day off on Friday to wait for the plumber to come fix my toilet so I figured after he leaves and the UPS guy comes and I sign for Rusty's new keyboard, I'm off to the Garden Center again!! I need more peat pots for all these seeds I'm getting. At least, that's the excuse I'm going to give Rusty when he finds out. :D

I think you need to get to your garden center too, Q, because I just found out that Sweet Peas are VINES. You need to get a trellis put in the ground for them to climb on because they're just going to keep getting taller and taller, and you won't be able to stake them. They'll just fall over.

I made the same mistake with Morning Glories last year, thinking they were Petunias. Needless to say, they looked terrible unless they were wrapping themselves around something.

Yeah, the sweet peas are already outgrowing my engineering genius craft dowels + stem wire :D
I have to go to Home Depot later to get some more pavers. ( I added about 15sf to my patio by surrounding the cement slab with 6x8 pavers...looks cool too) I'm sure they'll have a trellis there. I've also been considering painting my charcoal grill some festive color...maybe flamingo pink :D

things are starting to grow here...weather has been great the last week! lots of sun, and 15 deg C....:)

gotta love spring :)

The daffs and crocuses have been waving their little yellow and purple heads over here for about 2 weeks now... they're planted on every verge and traffic roundabout in town. They look lovely and it really does brighten the place up and make you feel happy. :)

Back