SPRING whooo

greenfreak

What's happening by you? You tending to your soil at all in your parts?

The forsythia is just about done blooming, as are the daffodils. Each day I come home and find something else I didn't know I had. The cherry trees, magnolias and dogwoods are in peak here. I can't believe how many ornamental trees there are in my neighborhood.

When I look out my bedroom window, I can see four shades of pink, two yellow, one white, and varying shades of red, green and blue from all the trees and shrubs.

Lilacs are in bud too, I should have some open flowers this week.

As far as what I'm doing, I didn't plan on buying any plants or flowers. But I couldn't resist. I bought some light blue creeping Phlox, some white/yellow/green Sedum, one pot of purple Pasque flower and one red, and a flower I can't remember the name of but will go in a mixed pot I'm making for my Mom.

chcr

Too cute for words
I cut the grass.

Dara, OTOH, is doing lots of shit that I'm going to ignore or mow over. ;)

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Veggies are downstairs, getting their start. I brought a pickup load of :horse: home to till into the garden. I made a 8'x4'x10" bed for potatoes. PLaneted some onions & lettuce in the coldframes.

Cut the grass for the first time time year yesterday...just in time for the 29 overnight expected tomorrow ( I hope our peach trees set fruit...the blossoms were off today)

2minkey

bootlicker
i've cut the grass a few times.

a couple weeks ago i realized that i've got a full herb garden in back. now the rosemary i knew about of course but turns out, upon inspection, that i have sage, purple sage, parsley, some variety of oregano, chives, and some other shit that i don't know what is yet.

i also transplanted some heirloom tomatoes from the little starter pots. basil will go out in the yard soon. need to figure out how soon i can put it out...

tonksy

My roses are beginning to bloom! We planted heirloom tomatoes and one jalapeno plant. We'll do more shortly.
We planted a few more items here and there and have been fortunate to have some rain recently.
We will be adding a cedar floer box in a hard scrabble area where we have had little luck of anything taking root. We are not sure what will go in it- maybe veggies, maybe flowers.
Next year will see the uprooting of 2 hiddy scraggly bushes and another cedar box put in place for a shade garden. I am excited by that as I haven't been able to play with many shade plants here.

greenfreak

Now that I can actually do veggies, I'm a little iffy about it. I keep hearing about all the diseases, fungus, blight, pests and all that that can decimate a veggie garden. I know it's going to be trial and error when I do get around to it, but I think I might just visit my neighborhood farms instead this year.

Do you guys have a lot of issues with losing plants/crops to bugs and diseases?

I bought a new lawn mower and edger that I haven't used yet and my brother in law gave me a spreader yesterday. I just attended some gardening classes last weekend and one of them was about turf management. I suppose I no longer have any excuse to not be taking care of my lawn. :D

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Our autumn must be like your spring, our winter like your spring, our spring like your hell and our summer too.

Green plants all year long.

Inkara1

My parents have had a vegetable garden every year I've been alive. Bugs hven't been a big problem generally... the occasional tomato hornworm, maybe, or possibly a few aphids, but generally nothing bad. The big problem has always been gophers. In 2001, a gopher got the zucchini plant and so there was no zucchini the whole summer... for the first time in my life. It was really weird. Usually, if my mom or dad sees a gopher hole near the garden, the solution is to put the cat next to the hole and tell him he doesn't get fed again until he catches it. 99 percent of the time, he has it devoured by the sliding glass door before noon. The one time that didn't work, my dad had to use a gopher bomb.

Lori and I are growing a few vegetables and some herbs... all in pots, though. I don't think gophers will be much of a problem for us.

tonksy

The bugs haven't really been an issue for us...the occasional loss to a worm but not bad. The river otters (can you believe that?) got a few of our tomatoes last year and the year before but I figured out I was the cause of that as I would throw the wormy ones or the ones that snapped off prematurely into the culvert by the house that flows to the creek and apparently they figured where they were coming from.
Our roses on the other hand have had problems with black spot and some leaf eating infestation. We need to remember to spray often and early.

Had a groaner of a surprise today. Last year we had the lawn crew install 5 rose bushes at the top of the driveway. The were supposed to be all white (and all the ones that bloomed last year were) but the one that is now blooming is pale pink...sigh. It's a theme for me. I planted a bunch of bacopa to edge the flower bed by the mailbox. They were suppose to all be standard white but one bloomed purple. Whatcha gonna do?

tonksy

It's cafe mocha...not beige :p and it's a VAST improvement over the Miami Vice pink it was - pink roses or not.
I am still waiting to banish the last remnants of the interior pink *Grumble*

Inkara1

It looks a little light to be "mocha" to me...

Picture1.jpg

catocom

the first purple hull pea, in my garden, broke ground just now.
We'll have baby sucker leaves this evening.:beardbng:

doing about 1/2 acre, high yield this year.

Corn, okra, peas, butter beans, and potatoes, so far. (from seed)

Tomatoes, cucumbers, and not sure what other prepared plants yet.

catocom

Do you guys have a lot of issues with losing plants/crops to bugs and diseases?

Lost the entire crop of Silver queen corn last year, to worms, because my seven dust was bad, and I didn't know.
got a new bag this time.

The local bees got plenty of excellent pollen though.