Stem cell transplant wipes out HIV!!

MrBishop

Now THAT is a surprise
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Infection with the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) requires the presence of a CD4 receptor and a chemokine receptor, principally chemokine receptor 5 (CCR5). Homozygosity for a 32-bp deletion in the CCR5 allele provides resistance against HIV-1 acquisition. We transplanted stem cells from a donor who was homozygous for CCR5 delta32 in a patient with acute myeloid leukemia and HIV-1 infection. The patient remained without viral rebound 20 months after transplantation and discontinuation of antiretroviral therapy. This outcome demonstrates the critical role CCR5 plays in maintaining HIV-1 infection.

[/FONT]

catocom

I break ranks with many conservatives on this one.
I believe more like the Jewish faith in this instance.

This is a good thing, IF...they don't cross certain lines.

chcr

Too cute for words
Where's the "stem cells are evil" crowd when you need them?

I'll stand in for 'em...

AIDS is Gawd's punishment for the homos so this is just more proof that stem cell research is the work of Satan! Think of the dead babies!!!!

How'd I do?

MrBishop

That is so awesome!! Does it wipe out AIDS as well?!
AIDS is a condition, not a disease. Once the HIV is killed off, a simple bone-marrow transfusion would be sufficient to rebuild the immune system to normal (Kind of like after chemotherapy/radiation therapy).

Once the immune system is back in working order the 'acquired immune deficiency' is reversed and you can't say that the person has AIDS anymore.

So..in a matter of speaking..it 'cures' AIDS.

Similar to saying that you cure the stomach flu, but get rid of the diarrhea.

Professur

I'm right here where I've always been, Spike. As so often is the case .... the black and white paint tossed about doesn't land here. I've never been against stem cell work. I've always been against destroying embryos to harvest them. All three of my wife's placentas were donated with my blessings.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I'll stand in for 'em...

AIDS is Gawd's punishment for the homos so this is just more proof that stem cell research is the work of Satan! Think of the dead babies!!!!

How'd I do?

not bad for a liberal.

as for the topic....I haven't had a chance to read it

valkyrie

That's good news. I'm wondering if this works out as a cure, if this can be mass produced cheaply for those suffering in Africa.

MrBishop

"Although this is just one case it does show that we need to be careful about the cell populations we are using." He said not all clinics used good quality cells.

No treatment is ever perfect the first time, or even the tenth time it's attempted. That's the whole point about continued research and ensuring that the clinics who are performing this research aren't hampered in the quality of the cell lines they have access to.

Professur

"Although this is just one case it does show that we need to be careful about the cell populations we are using." He said not all clinics used good quality cells.

No treatment is ever perfect the first time, or even the tenth time it's attempted. That's the whole point about continued research and ensuring that the clinics who are performing this research aren't hampered in the quality of the cell lines they have access to.

Noone hampered their quality... just their source. Indeed, noone hampered that either .... 'cept to restrict the tax dollars funding it. But then, if it's that fantastic, I expect the pharmaceutical companies would be lined up out the door to invest.

And frankly, given some of what I've heard from the mouths of some of the leading researchers in this field .... I'd rather see them hampered. I posted in some long past thread a quote where a spokesman for a lab, when asked about the moral implications of the work done there, replied .... that's for politicians to worry about. Now I don't know about you, but when someone passes the buck on a moral decision to politicians ..... Whoa. I can't remember if the lab was doing cloning or stem cell research ... but personally, i paint the lot of them with the same brush. That kind of thinking is what gave us the atomic bomb.