Straight to hell.....

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
I don't eat many veggies...I ate them all as a wee one but slowly grew out of them...carrots mostly...I loved and now I hate. When I was little my mom never used to cater to my tastes, she figured I liked it the year before and I should still like it. I ate many a spaghetti dinner with just parmesan cheese sprinkled on my noodles...I liked it like that cause I definately didn't want the veggie ridden sauce...I also picked the kidney beans outta the chili and ate only that. She did her damndest to get me to eat veggies...no alternatives were offered and I missed out on whatever part of the meal had veggies in it cause no substitute was offered...I never did start eatting it and eventually she started taking out some meat and tomato sauce for me before adding the veggies to the spaghetti sauce and putting the veggies for the chili in the rice instead (since everyone else mixed their chilli with rice anyway but I've NEVER liked rice). Her forcing me to eat it would have done no good cause I ACTUALLY gag on carrots, onions, mushrooms...peas, corn and beets I've always loved. Broccolli, celery, cucumber I can eat but I don't enjoy...maybe if you can somehow ensure her that she only has to try one bite...and if she doesn't like it you won't force it...because if something really does make you gag nothing sucks more than having it in your mouth :(

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
We've got a couple picky ones, the main thing for us is that we cook. They eat. We don't force them to eat, but if what we're having isn't what they like, they can eat it or not. But they sure as hell ain't getting a PB & J or a can of Ravioli as a replacement either.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
PT said:
We've got a couple picky ones, the main thing for us is that we cook. They eat. We don't force them to eat, but if what we're having isn't what they like, they can eat it or not. But they sure as hell ain't getting a PB & J or a can of Ravioli as a replacement either.

How many do you have under your roof now anyway?

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Still six, the oldest turns 18 this July, but she's still only a junior.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
PT said:
Still six, the oldest turns 18 this July, but she's still only a junior.

Man...you guys should do reality tv :D It's the newest thing, anything that made a good sitcom 20 years ago makes good reality tv now...I'm thinking Brady bunch :D

Inkara1

Here's the story... of a man named Brady... who was shot in the head protecting Ronald Reagan... and he introduced... a bill to Congress... and it passed so now we have to wait for guns... the Brady Bill... the Brady Bill... that's the way there became the Brady Bill. :D

BeardofPants

God, I forgot how I used to hate tomatoes. Now they're in practically every second thing I cook. I remember just after I discovered how much I liked them (thanks grandma), I ate so many of them, I got hives. :lloyd:

unclehobart

I wonder what a Norwegian taco tastes like. It probably bears no resemblence to what we know as Mexican cuisine... which bears only marginal resemblence to what they truly know as Mexican cuisine.

I remember eating 'fajitas' in New Zealand and remarking how non-'yankee' fajita they were. They were never made from beef or chicken... but rather of venison. The salsa was somewhere between a sweet relish and marmalade. It was tasty... but seriously askew.

HomeLAN

PT said:

I grew up with the same rules, but it was a family of seven. Some things, you just can't do. :shrug:

Nal, I'm not sure what his deal is. He'll eat meats, but only prepared certain ways. He'll do chicken nuggets, and my fried chicken (hell, everyone will eat my fried chicken :D ), but not broiled or grilled. It's...odd.

Cornbread, properly done, is NOT gritty. Sugar be damned.

mondomondo

unclehobart said:
I wonder what a Norwegian taco tastes like. It probably bears no resemblence to what we know as Mexican cuisine... which bears only marginal resemblence to what they truly know as Mexican cuisine.

You mean Taco Bell?

*dodges tomatoes*

Seriously (and don't be a taco snob now), but all of the Old El Paso products can be found on European shelves, providing a reasonable facsimile of the time-saver kitchen taco meals we eat here in the US of A.

That said, Starya's got some Ortega Chipotle taco mix coming in the mail. Hope it's good. (Should have tried it first, probably.)

That said, I ate at an alleged "Mexican" restaurant in Ede in the Netherlands, and what they serve bears no resemblance to Mexican food whatsoever. Then again, tell me where I can get anything resembling Australian food at Outback.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
HomeLAN said:
Nal, I'm not sure what his deal is. He'll eat meats, but only prepared certain ways. He'll do chicken nuggets, and my fried chicken (hell, everyone will eat my fried chicken :D ), but not broiled or grilled. It's...odd.

Cornbread, properly done, is NOT gritty. Sugar be damned.
I betcha for him it just boils down to the texture. I grew up feeling like that, and I`m still like that.

and all the cornbread I`ve had has grit in it. Maybe you don`t call grit what I call grit. Hard bits. (again, texture)

tonksy

Okay, case in point. Tonight we made a macaroni and cheese with ground meat bake. Noodles, cheese, and ground beef. These are all things she'll eat normally but because it was a different appearance to her she wouldn't touch it.
I said "fine, don't eat but don't ask for anything else"
She said "I don't want anything the rest of the night" which means she accepts my conditions.
*sigh....

Starya

Don't worry tonks. Kids can be stubborn, but healthy kids with food available don't starve themselves. For long. ;)