Study Finds One-third of Medical Studies are Wrong

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
'Fraid yer wrong about the ghosts, tho. 4 generations of my family have been 'watched over'.

Okay. You believe in some supernatural things and not in others. I believe otherwise. No skin off my nose either way. Still, either belief is separate from science.

Note that my wife is a firm believer in ghosts and such. She's even showed me "evidence." Not acceptable evidence, but of course she accepted it.

Professur

chcr said:
Okay. You believe in some supernatural things and not in others. I believe otherwise. No skin off my nowe either way. Still, ether belief is separate from science.

And there, my friend, is the problem. Science isn't separate from belief. It is merely today's belief quantified.

Professur

Eventually they will.

But, just out of curiosity. What proof do you have, personally, that an atom is made up mostly of empty space? Or that it even exists?

chcr

Too cute for words
You've never seen pictures of individual atoms in an electron microscope? Actually, though, pretty much all quantum "theory" is just that, theory. Most plausible explanation until a better one comes along. Because it's "accepted" doesn't make it a "belief."

Professur

Ah. So you find it easier to accept the plausible theories in a book on quantum physics, but not those in the bible. I hate to tell you this, Chic, but you just made my point for me. But I think I've maybe used this example before.

You know a table is solid, because your coffee cup didn't fall through it.
You believe it's mostly empty space, because that's what the scientists say.
You believe the scientists, because they have degrees, and you don't.
You believe that someone with a degree in something, knows more about it than those who don't.

Anything in there you'd like to object to, or dispute?

chcr

Too cute for words
This argument is pointless. There is a difference that you refuse to accept. The supernatural cannot and will never be quantified simply because it doesn't exist. It was made up to explain things that weren't understood at the time. It's a myth. You wish to choose what myths to believe and which to not believe and it makes it easier for you to get through the day if you think everyone believes things in the same way. Fine, your business. I disagree. I will always continue to disagree. you decide where you think that leaves us. I don't believe in science in the same way that you believe in the supernatural. I don't believe that unconditionally in anything. I can't make it any clearer than that. BTW, I do not know a table is solid although I will agree that it "seems" to keep my coffee cup from crashing to the floor. There are many possible explanations for this.

MrBishop

Lev. 19:31 Do not resort to ghosts and spirits, nor make yourselves unclean by seeking them out. I am the Lord your God.

Lev. 20:6 I will set my face against the man who wantonly resorts to ghosts and spirits, and I will cut that person off from his people.

Lev. 20:27 Any man or woman among you who calls up ghosts or spirits shall be put to death. The people shall stone them; their blood shall be on their own heads.

Sorry...couldn't help myself :D

Professur

chcr said:
This argument is pointless. There is a difference that you refuse to accept. The supernatural cannot and will never be quantified simply because it doesn't exist. It was made up to explain things that weren't understood at the time. It's a myth. You wish to choose what myths to believe and which to not believe and it makes it easier for you to get through the day if you think everyone believes things in the same way. Fine, your business. I disagree. I will always continue to disagree. you decide where you think that leaves us. I don't believe in science in the same way that you believe in the supernatural. I don't believe that unconditionally in anything. I can't make it any clearer than that. BTW, I do not know a table is solid although I will agree that it "seems" to keep my coffee cup from crashing to the floor. There are many possible explanations for this.

ROFL. Chic, did you actually read any of why you just typed? May I?

There is a difference that you refuse to accept. The supernatural cannot and will never be quantified simply because it doesn't exist.

How many centuries ago was it that a similar statement was made about breaking the sound barrier?

It was made up to explain things that weren't understood at the time.

Two words for ya: Dark Matter. Made up out of whole cloth to fill in a gap in their equations. Instead of accepting that their equations are probably, simply, wrong. Made up, by science.

You wish to choose what myths to believe and which to not believe and it makes it easier for you to get through the day if you think everyone believes things in the same way.

We all chose what to believe, every day. We all know that the weather report is falible, but we still check it before leaving the brolly at home. As for everyone believing the same thing ... that's called society.

I don't believe in science in the same way that you believe in the supernatural. I don't believe that unconditionally in anything.

I think you're assuming a bit about the strengths of my beliefs, friend. My belief in my religion lies at about the same level as my belief in quantum physics. In fact (while this might bother you) I don't believe they're all that far removed from one another. And trying to keep them separate might just be the reason so many of those equations don't add up. But my belief in ghosts lies as the same level as my belief that the table's gonna keep my cup off the floor. Personal experience.

If you'd like, we can sit for a spell, and I'll tell you about a few of those experiences, and you can tell me all about how I'm wrong.

BTW, I do not know a table is solid although I will agree that it "seems" to keep my coffee cup from crashing to the floor. There are many possible explanations for this.

Very good. But is it really "seems" or "does"? Ever had an experience that it didn't? Ever kicked in the dark and not hurt a toe?

Winky

I am disappointed in all of you who forward this type of garbage without checking into these stupid e-mails. If this is all you got to do take me off your mailing list...
-----
Subject: Butter

JUST TO BUTTER YOU UP ..
Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it
killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the
research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure
out what to do with this product to get their money back. It was a white
substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and
sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have
come out with some clever new flavorings.

DO YOU KNOW...the difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to
5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating
the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in
other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few
only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the
flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been
around for less than 100 years.

And now, for Margarine..

Very high in trans fatty acids.

Triple risk of coronary heart disease.

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol)
and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five fold.

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS
VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC..

This fact alone was enough to have me avoiding margarine for life
and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added,
changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or shaded
area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that
should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value;
nothing will grow on it

Even those teeny weeny microorganisms will not a find a home to
grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic. Would you melt your
Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Share This With Your Friends.....(If you want to "butter them
up")!

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
ROFL. Chic, did you actually read any of why you just typed? May I?
:shrug: Fine, you're right, I'm wrong. Feel better now? If you won't recognize the difference between scientific theory and religious faith (or even that there is one), then you are right from your point of view. You'll excuse me if I continue to disagree? Actually it really doesn't matter whether you excuse me or not. :D

How many centuries ago was it that a similar statement was made about breaking the sound barrier?

Point of information. There is no sound "barrier." It was invented to explain something that wasn't really understood until we could exceed the speed of sound. People have been trying to quantify the supernatural, OTOH, for countless centuries. Interesting if not indicative, this lack of success?

Professur

chcr said:
:shrug: Fine, you're right, I'm wrong. Feel better now? If you won't recognize the difference between scientific theory and religious faith (or even that there is one), then you are right from your point of view. You'll excuse me if I continue to disagree? Actually it really doesn't matter whether you excuse me or not. :D

Point of information. There is no sound "barrier." It was invented to explain something that wasn't really understood until we could exceed the speed of sound. People have been trying to quantify the supernatural, OTOH, for countless centuries. Interesting if not indicative, this lack of success?

Ah, Chic. Don't go off like that. You're starting to sound like Bish. I never said anything about right and wrong. Everyone's right, in their own mind. It's the ability to see things from another perspective that helps us expand what we know.

If you won't recognize the difference between scientific theory and religious faith (or even that there is one), then you are right from your point of view.

may we discuss this? You say there's a barrier between the two. I say there isn't. Shall we use standard lab proceedures? What evidence can you put forth to prove the existance of this separation?

chcr

Too cute for words
Professur said:
Ah, Chic. Don't go off like that. You're starting to sound like Bish. I never said anything about right and wrong. Everyone's right, in their own mind. It's the ability to see things from another perspective that helps us expand what we know.
I haven't gone anywhere. We can argue about this till we're blue in the face and neither one of us will accept the onthers position, though.

Professur said:
may we discuss this? You say there's a barrier between the two. I say there isn't. Shall we use standard lab proceedures? What evidence can you put forth to prove the existance of this separation?

Easily. Science makes observations and posits explanations. The understanding that these explanations may be proved completely wrong at any time is implicit in the process. Religion (or myth) posits explanations and then tries to show how the observable data upholds the explanation (whether or not it does). Contradicting a religious explanation is out of the question until such time as the contradiction becomes so self-evident as to cost a religion it's adherents (sometimes even beyond that). I refer you to Copernicus and Galileo as evidence of this.

See, I don't understand at all how anyone can believe they're remotely similar, let alone the same.

Again, I don't expect you to be convinced, you're already convinced of your position. I ask therefore, what would be the point in continuing?

Professur

Again, You're more sure of my position than I am. I'm not convinced of anything that I myself haven't experienced. And (to clarify a point) my ghosts and my religion are not one and the same. In fact, I dare say my minister would be quite upset to hear about them. And I'm not trying to convince you either. Simply to make clear my reasoning. Convincing one another is irrelevant. Understanding one another is important.

You're also mistaking a church for a religion. Christianity is a religion. Catholicism, Anglican, United, Mormon, etc are all churches. Religion never oppressed science. Churches did. Symantics, in your view, I know. But an important difference from my position.

Now, just to get us onto level ground, I'm gonna ask you to back up a few millenia for a minute. Sorry, but it's necessary to get us back beyond your view of religion to start off.

The first religions were, in your opinion, based on what?

BeardofPants

Bish and Prof. :rolleyes: Jeezus you two, do you need mommy to smack your two heads together or summit? *handonhip

It's interesting to see how often "theory" gets misinterpreted by those who tend to follow the faith. How hard exactly is it to understand that it's divorced from "faith"?

Professur

BeardofPants said:
Bish and Prof. :rolleyes: Jeezus you two, do you need mommy to smack your two heads together or summit? *handonhip

Sorry BoP, but whacha talking about? Bish and I haven't said a word to each other since the day I got back.