Stupid Pilot tricks

MrBishop

During a period of 3 days, two small single-engine plane pilots attempted the insane. They pulled off emergency landings on busy streets. The first one
Montreal - A pilot landed his small air plane in a downtown Montreal street Sunday after the Cessna aircraft encountered problems shortly after taking off from a suburb, police said.

The plane, carrying two adults and a child, made the emergency landing on a relatively clear Parc Avenue and rolled for 400m before stopping.

One of its wings slammed a street pole, but no one was injured in the incident, Montreal police said.

An investigation was launched to determine if the incident was due to a mechanical problem or an empty fuel tank, police said.
managed it without injury. Parc ave. is abusy street in downtown Montreal and to quote the pilot 'We got lucky and got all green lights'

The second one happened yesterday..about 10 minutes walk from my house.
A small plane's crash near Montreal has left six people injured, but fortunately, no one was seriously hurt.

Max Louben works in an industrial park in Longueil, just south of Montreal, and saw the small Cessna come in dangerously low on Tuesday afternoon.

"Seeing the airplane going down and hit the cars, I ran in the direction of the airplane to see if everyone is OK," he told CTV Montreal.

"Tried to get the people out, called 9-1-1."

With the assistance of a co-worker, Louben forced open the door of the overturned aircraft. There were two people inside -- a woman estimated to be in her mid-40s and someone he presumed to be her husband.

"The husband looked to be in good condition. He was trying to get out. The lady, she was unable to move at all."

They helped the lady out as a precaution in case the plane burst into flames, he said. Afterwards, firefighters sprayed down the wreckage with foam.

As to the cause of the crash, Louben said the pilot told him that the engine wasn't working properly so he looked for an emergency landing site.

On Sunday, a similar incident occurred. A Cessna landed on Montreal's Parc Avenue, but didn't damage any cars or injure any people in the process.

The pilot and his two passengers were also okay.

Right next to some train tracks, about 75 feet from a gas station and on the edge of a residential area.

Stupid idiots! Both look like mechanical failures...stalled engines. You'd figure that they'd get their planes checked or something!

There was one here in Texas in the last few days --- can't find the story. Anyway, he ran out of gas.

Now, I would think the first thing you do before taking off is check the gas tank!

Stupid idiots! Both look like mechanical failures...stalled engines. You'd figure that they'd get their planes checked or something!

Breakdowns happen. Good thing it happened over Parc Ave instead of some woods or there'd be a bunch of dead people.

Breakdowns happen. Good thing it happened over Parc Ave instead of some woods or there'd be a bunch of dead people.
3 people actually... but we're more lucky that he didn't hit one of the skyscrapers that he was flying over when the shit hit the fan.

The one who landed on Parc was a professional...flew banners around for a living.

The guy near my place was just someone with more money than foresight... the road he landed on was 2 lanes wide, next to train tracks AND power-lines and he flipped it 75' from a gas station. THAT one could've been a hell of a lot worst!

A pilot landed his small air plane in a downtown Montreal street Sunday after the Cessna aircraft encountered problems shortly after taking off from a suburb, police said.

On this one the pilot did a good job in that he and his passengers walked away.

I have taken flight lessons and one of the things they drill into you is in case of engine failure and altitude is being lost you look for a safe place to land...

MrBishop said:
two small single-engine plane pilots attempted the insane.

Not entirely, When inflight and mechanical problems arise you cannot pull over and park it on a cloud and call road service...

3 people actually... but we're more lucky that he didn't hit one of the skyscrapers that he was flying over when the shit hit the fan.

The one who landed on Parc was a professional...flew banners around for a living.

The guy near my place was just someone with more money than foresight... the road he landed on was 2 lanes wide, next to train tracks AND power-lines and he flipped it 75' from a gas station. THAT one could've been a hell of a lot worst!

So 3 dead people are ok? What is the number where it goes over the top?

Could have is irrelevent. Did not is the important thing.

What does train tracks have to do with anything? I'm missing the connection. Power lines would have been an inconvenience but they are repairable. Dead bodies aren't. As far as the fuel stop...he missed it-sounds like a safe landing to me (any one you can walk away from)

Here, you have to file your pre-flight with the flightplan at the office.

AFAIK that's true everywhere. Typically nobody checks it though, you just check the boxes yourself and file the pre-flight with your flightplan. I don't know how anyone ever gets to the "I'm going to be thousands of feet in the air, should I make sure everything is working or trust my luck" point, but I've read that up to 75% of small aircraft crashes are due to pre-flight checks being incomplete or ignored. :shrug: Yes, failures do happen but an astonishing (and frightening) number of people take airplanes into the sky everyday with inadequate preparation.

Okay, I'm done preaching now.

So 3 dead people are ok? What is the number where it goes over the top?

Could have is irrelevent. Did not is the important thing.

What does train tracks have to do with anything? I'm missing the connection. Power lines would have been an inconvenience but they are repairable. Dead bodies aren't. As far as the fuel stop...he missed it-sounds like a safe landing to me (any one you can walk away from)
It's the word 'bunch' that I was on about. 3 doth not make a bunch. Doesn't make it nice or forgettable either :shrug:

The train passes their fairly often and it takes a huge amount of space to stop one... if the plane had hit the tracks (even if the wreckage hadn't stayed on the tracks)..any train without enough stopping distance would've been in some trouble, eh.

More than an inconvenience...the plane didn't catch fire, but if he'd hit the power-lines before hitting the ground...it would've been over.

I've always heard that a good landing is one that you survive. A great landing is one that you can use the plane again. So, looks like two good landings to me.

Back