Summer Gardens

MrBishop

Well...my summer gardens are almost completely up. My vegetable garden is at about 80% (tomatos, peppers, jalopenos, cukes planted...beans, lettuce, beets and carrots not planted). My fine herbs are all in place. My roses are coming in. My front garden is pretty much done 'cept planting the snowcloth. The side garden needs a lot of work (but I may be adding some bleeding hearts to it, so you never know), and my flowering vines are going in tonight.

Another 2-3 days and it'll be growing nicely and it'll be just upkeep...whew!!

So...do you have garden(s) and how are they coming along?

**Oh..in case you're wondering why I started so damn late, it's because I had to tear up my front yard entirely, add earth, level it, fertilize and seed it with grass. Bloody June bugs and weeds! Bloody GVT laws re: Pesticides and herbicides!!! **

*sigh*

I only moved into my current home last November......the owner before me had sorely neglected the garden.

Through the winter I made plans for a nice rose garden, handy vegetable plot/herbary and turn the rest of the land into a country cottage style garden, lots of "wild" looking flowers that while carefully selected would still give a natural "overgrown" feel to the place.

In the spring the garden did turn up a few nice surprises.....bumper crops of snowdrops, daffodils and crocus. But once the heavy work started...removing the old garden shed, a few enormous trees had to go........a bloody privet hedge that had grown to the second story window etc .......I then realised that this year is gonna have to be concentrated on actual landscaping etc in preperation for the garden I want. ie a lot of heavy bloody work and very lil' reward this year :D ...... I did manage to secure a lil' empty space which I've planted nasturtiums, surfinias in pots, and simple bedding plants etc....for this year that's me kinda mini-garden...somewhere to relax in :) The rest is gettin' transformed slowly but surely.

One good thing about moving into a place with a badly neglected garden is that the soil is beautiful and rich.....I'm lookin' forward to a bumper crop of veggie's next year :swing:

Oz said:
One good thing about moving into a place with a badly neglected garden is that the soil is beautiful and rich.....
No such luck in my area. The south shore used to be a swamp until they drained it and boosted the riverbanks to keep it un-irrigated :D

I've got about 8-10" of half-decent soil (filled with rocks, sand and pebbles - the spring heave) followed by about 30 feet of clay. Every year, I try to make the soil better with cow and pig manure, as well as several turnovers of the soil...but it's a job-and-a-half. Sounds like oyu've got a decent lot, Oz. What're you working with? 1/2acre?

Prolly a lil' more (I think quarter hectare is more than half acre, not by much tho')

I hate clay with a passion :D nothing can make me spit and curse like knowing I have to be diggin' clay when the rain has been falling the night before.

That reminds me.......I really should be diggin' in a coupla tons of cowshit while the weather is still hot enough for it to break down quickly.....that way it should be ok to add another coupla tons before autumn frosts are here :)

Rich soil is ok......but If I'm leaving the majority fallow here, might as well make it richer :D

Oz
Living likes it's his last day on earth, and gardening as tho' he'll live forever :swing:

we've had such miserable weather the last 3 weeks that the landscaper hasnt finished the back yard yet. still havent planted a thing. i'm not too happy about that but i cant control the weather. well...maybe if i stop washing the car....

Spot said:
we've had such miserable weather the last 3 weeks that the landscaper hasnt finished the back yard yet. still havent planted a thing. i'm not too happy about that but i cant control the weather. well...maybe if i stop washing the car....

OH PLEASE send some rain this way. We'll take any extra that you don't need. It's so dry on the Panhandle, there are wildfires breaking out all over the place.
We've had afternoon thunderstorms fairly regurlarly for the past couple of weeks, enough to save the corn - the ears were beginning to twist, but it rained enough to revive it, the stalks went from half a meter to two since it rained. We still need a good, steady, soaking rain for a day or two. The cotton and peanuts look pitiful, though. It probably won't be as good a year as last year for them.

everything is so green here..lariope grass and these gorgeous daylilies that surprised me this may...(until they bloomed i had no idea what they were)...i don't have a veggie patch and i miss it but i am picking up more potted herbs here and there so it's almost like having a veggie patch...but not really :eh:

tonksy said:
everything is so green here..lariope grass and these gorgeous daylilies that surprised me this may...(until they bloomed i had no idea what they were)...i don't have a veggie patch and i miss it but i am picking up more potted herbs here and there so it's almost like having a veggie patch...but not really :eh:

Heh heh heh . . . you said "potted herbs" . . . heh heh heh

tonksy said:

You've got the space and the tools. What's the delay?

HomeLAN said:
You've got the space and the tools. What's the delay?
A pesky little document called a homeowners covenant is the delay. It lumps a tomato plant in with the equivalent of letting hogs roam freely and leaving a camaro on blocks in the front yard, aka... nyet, comrade.

unclehobart said:
A pesky little document called a homeowners covenant is the delay. It lumps a tomato plant in with the equivalent of letting hogs roam freely and leaving a camaro on blocks in the front yard, aka... nyet, comrade.

The day they pay the mortgage is the day they can tell me I can't use my yard for my own wants.

Gonz said:
The day they pay the mortgage is the day they can tell me I can't use my yard for my own wants.

Yes and no. He knew the covenents going in, so he knew the job was dangerous when he took it.

At the same time, I agree with you. You'll notice that my neighborhood has no such restrictions.

You know I'm going to have a really big reply to this one.... :)

I was watching "Gardening by the Yard" with Paul James last weekend on HGTV and he was talking about how he prepared a bed that had heavy clay. All he did is spread some compost and then mulch over it and left it for months. If you can afford that kind of time, it softens the ground and encourages earthworms which enriches it even more. I have mostly sand, not clay, so my challenges are much different.

So far, what I've accomplished this year:

Dug up the containers of spring bulbs from the trench against the foundation on the side of the house. Put the containers in front to enjoy the flowers and layed down mulch and topsoil in the trench. Once the bulbs were done, I put them back in the same place to prevent any weeds from growing there. I'll be laying sunflower seeds all along the trench in a week or so.

The Lollipop Asiatic Lillies Rusty planted last fall have started blooming (white with deep reddish pink on the edges) and the first Coral Sunrise Asiatic Lilly opened today (orange in the middle fading into pink on the edges). I still have the "Pastel" mixture of white, yellow, peach and purple lillies which have yet to bloom. I timed it so while one color was fading, the next wave was starting.

My pink rosebush and yellow rosebush are both in bloom. My three pots of daylillies are budding, they should be blooming in about a week.

I made three pots of "Elephant Ears" and one of them has broken ground. They're growing really slow. I'm going to be mixing in some low growing plants once they really start growing.

I made three pots of yellow, white, purple, blue and brown daisies. They're all in bloom now.

My prickly pear cactus doubled in size from last year and is budding, they should be in full bloom in about two weeks.

I mulched the lilly bed and the rosebushes with red cedar. I'm going to be setting up my little white wire fencing around once I figure out where I'm putting everything. My landlord's landscapers broke some and then ripped them out of the lawn. I was not happy.

But they also took the rotting wood fence down so the place looks SO much better.

Still left to do in the next couple of weeks:

Bring the other plants outside that are currently in my living room: four different kinds of coleus, two pots of Plumeria, two pots of Cymbidium orchids, and a Ficus plant.

Start all my Morning Glory seeds in pots and train them up the stakes I bought on sale last year. I found a really cool way to get them to grow in any direction I want. Just tie clear fishing lines wherever you want, and they'll grow up them. You can't really see the fishing line so it looks like they're growing in midair. I can't wait to see how this looks.

Plant sunflower seeds with bamboo stakes to tie them to as they grow. (this year I'm planting four different kinds, including the giants that grow to 10 feet tall)

Mulch the rest of the flower beds and put more fencing up so the idiots don't hurt my plants.

I'm planning next year's garden already. That's how you know you've got problems. ;)

Gonz said:
What's really fun is when the CC&Rs allow the homeonwer's association to come onto YOUR land, fix what THEY don't like, and CHARGE YOU for it.

That was a deal-killer when my grandparents were looking at a house along the golf course here. They found another nice house a few blocks away that was better for their needs anyway.

Inkara1 said:
What's really fun is when the CC&Rs allow the homeonwer's association to come onto YOUR land, fix what THEY don't like, and CHARGE YOU for it.

Say what? :alienhuh: How does that work then? :eek6:

Its a rarely used element within the covenant that allows the association to take direct action to control out of control neighbors. If someone refuses to take care of their yard and it all goes to hell, the association will make calls and write letters and give them chances to correct the problem. If they let it go too far, the association will hire someone to do it for them and then send them a bill. If they refuse to pay, the association can put a lein on the property. So far it can kept people in my neighborhood from opening a car repair business, a wild color paint scheme, failure to repair sprinkler leaks, unmown lawns, derelict cars in the street, illegal waste disposal... bla, bla... mostly minor stuff.

You lost me a while back Unc...a covenant? IS that like a Condo agreement? You living on church property or sumthin?

Sometimes I wish that our neighbourhood had some controls over property aesthetics. I've killed myself redoing the entire front lawn...it's growing in nicely now, but the neighbour that I'm attached to ignores his for weeks on end. There are enough dandylions, honeysuckle and crabgrasses on his half of the lawn to kill anything foolish enough to walk across it. I work hard to control my rose bushes and the same neighbour's bushes (in the back) overgrow my property every damn year. I end up trimming his bushes from my side to protect my plants. :(

My garden's finished now...I've still got to transplant two plants from my back-yard to the front, where they'll serve as ground cover, but I've got to wait until the new grass can be stepped on without killing it. Everything else is coming along swimmingly, and I've even got about 4 jalopeno peppers growing. :D

Can't wait!!

GF- Morning Glories climb fishin wire well enough...just make sure that you get a heavy guage wire. I had them climbing my front window one year and one of the wires snapped in two...the whole bloody thing came crashing down. Impossible to put back up again. Not fun. I've got some planted to cover up the new chain fence that my other neighbour put up to replace my old wooden fence. I've also put some up at the church where I work, so that it'll hide the old rusted fence we've got there.

Back