Superman may walk again

MrBishop

The newest releases from stem-cell research indicate that the use of stem cells to regenrate the spinal column is more than just a possibility...it's already happened. Superman (Christopher Reeve), may yet walk again.
Source :)

This stuff intrigues me and creeps me out at the same time. Where are they getting these embryoes from? Will people feel ok about getting abortions if their unborn are going to be donated to stem cell research? Are we going to keep screwing with nature until we are immortal? It's just freaky, is all.

People like Christopher Reeve and Michael J. Fox are pushing hard for this, seeing as it could cure them. Parkinson's, especially, is so close to being cured but it all has to do with funding and legalities regarding stem cell research and the possibility of using cloning to produce these embryoes.

I'm still on the fence about all this. It makes me uneasy.

Its good to question technological advances. Even when the good outweighs the bad, we know from experience that any new technology will be applied in evil ways sooner or later...Its always been so...and the trend will continue.

The article says one 'side effect' is tumors and they have to prepare the cell so that doesn't happen. Could you imagine Chris Reeve being able to walk again and a year later finding out he has 6 months to live because he's dying of cancer? :eek:

:errrr: That would be terrible...but not at all an uncommon scenerio for those who pioneer breakthroughs in medical technologies. If he weren't a celeb, we just wouldn't be told of the trial and error part...

greenfreak said:
The article says one 'side effect' is tumors and they have to prepare the cell so that doesn't happen. Could you imagine Chris Reeve being able to walk again and a year later finding out he has 6 months to live because he's dying of cancer? :eek:

I don't know about Sup'r guy...but I'd rather walk for 6 months, get chemo and walk bald.

As for the stem cells....they are not harvested from aborted embryos all the time...in fact, it's easier and more efficient to get them from the umbilical cord and placenta...you get more cells and less social duress. The problem is that most women don't donate their umbilicus...they forget, and the placenta/umbilicus is creamated.

They should have a placental-umbilical donation card for pregnant mothers.

I never knew what they did with the placenta. When I was observing births for my hospital rotations, the doctor came over to us after the baby was born with the placenta in his hands. He turned it inside out and started telling us about the scars on it and stuff. I was fascinated but I couldn't help but laugh in the nonchalant way he turned it out and spread it through his fingers.

That sounds like a great idea, donating the placenta and cord for research.

greenfreak said:
Will people feel ok about getting abortions if their unborn are going to be donated to stem cell research? .

If getting an abortion doesn't creep them out, why should they care about the aborted and dessicated foetus? Frankly...if I were to go through an abortion and knew that the feotus would either be cremated or used to help someone walk again...why would anyone choose (I dunno...just throw it away).?

Then again...most people don't sign their organ donation card.

Most people don't realize that their organs are removed and cremated before burial anyway...they think that they're burried intact.

The more I live, the more I think that most people shouldn't have the same privalege. :grim:

I could be wrong but I think in the Jewish faith, their bodies are kept intact in respect for their religion. When I had to bring bodies to the "ECU" (Eternal Care Unit), there was a certain way to package them also.

I'm an organ donor, blood donor and got typed for bone marrow donation years ago. I really should make a Will one of these days, I'm getting too old to leave this up to chance. Maybe after Rusty and I get married, I will.

I hope if that happens that the quality of life is vastly improved and we can live on other planets. Or this place is gonna get awfully crowded with old geezers. :D

Squiggy said:
:errrr: That would be terrible...but not at all an uncommon scenerio for those who pioneer breakthroughs in medical technologies. If he weren't a celeb, we just wouldn't be told of the trial and error part...

If he weren't a celeb, he'd be sitting rotting in a home, instead of testing out revolutionary drugs and treatments that haven't even been cleared by the FDA yet. Like Larry Hagman, fame shortens all waiting lists.

I never said anything about Superdude skipping the line...I just used him as a convenient example of the use of the stem-cell research outcomes. Got a lot of people reading the artical tho'

Personally...I'd rather see Stephen Hawking walk and talk again rather than Chris Reeve. Frankly...he'd gve more back to society...

Back