Superman may walk again

prof: not only celebs get to try out revolutionary treatments that haven't even been approved yet

When my dad was sick he was getting trial drugs that he had to sign a waiver to be a tester for cause they weren't approved

I didn't suggest that only celebs get them, Nixy. I commented on the fact that being a celeb can get you shortlisted.

greenfreak said:
This stuff intrigues me and creeps me out at the same time. Where are they getting these embryoes from? Will people feel ok about getting abortions if their unborn are going to be donated to stem cell research? Are we going to keep screwing with nature until we are immortal? It's just freaky, is all.

[...]

I'm still on the fence about all this. It makes me uneasy.

Think about this then. How on-the-fence would you be if you had a crippled daughter and success in this research would provide her the hope of one day being able to walk again?

This is the way we do things. And it works, nobody can deny that. We now live for 80 years at a time, instead of 40 or 50 just a couple of hundred years ago. Whether it seems freaky or not, fact is that in 20 years' time when it's an everyday thing, people won't even think to look back and question the ethicity of it.

a13antichrist said:
Think about this then. How on-the-fence would you be if you had a crippled daughter and success in this research would provide her the hope of one day being able to walk again?

This is the way we do things. And it works, nobody can deny that. We now live for 80 years at a time, instead of 40 or 50 just a couple of hundred years ago. Whether it seems freaky or not, fact is that in 20 years' time when it's an everyday thing, people won't even think to look back and question the ethicity of it.

Right or wrong, we all do or want things for our own selfish reasons-you're right, I might feel differently if I were personally affected. I can't say for sure what I would do, I firmly believe no one can predict that till they're in that situation for real.

But I'm just theorizing and trying to look at the bigger picture. Is it worth it to live to be 130 if the last 30 years are spent bed ridden, going from one operation to another, taking 15 different drugs, to the point where you don't know who you or your loved ones are? It's all about quality of life. Where I'm for people making informed decisions about euthanasia in instances where their quality of life can only suffer, I'm also worried about those who can't or don't.

The way evolution and science has gone, yes, people live quite a bit longer and for the most part, those extra years are sustainable by your body. But how long is our physical body meant to last? If all your organs start failing you, what does that tell you? People keep their loved ones around sometimes long after they should be, for their own selfish reasons. My parents saw in me the objectivity to be able to abide by their wishes and put aside my own so they made me thier executor of their will and living will.

I've been in that situation actually. My grandmother was dying of cancer and I was supposed to transport her in my ambulance to her home so she could die there. She had a Do Not Resuscitate order. I setup the transport for a week afterwards and was constantly questioning myself, would I be able to watch my Nana die in front of me without using my abilities as a Paramedic to try and save her? It was tough. I didn't cancel and I didn't ask another tech to go instead of me, she wanted me there.

She died in the hospital, the morning of the transport. Call me crazy but I still think that she spared me from making that decision. I've had to watch my patients die before because of their DNR and it's really hard. But someone I love? Shit, that's really tough. But for her, I would have tried my best because that's what she wanted and was very clear about it. :shrug:

This just in. Superman still dead. Stem cells still unable to raise the dead .... or achieve much of anything else either.

Back