Taking apart stuff

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Does anyone else do this when they get the chance? I just love tearing apart radios, cd players, speakers, whatever I can get my hands on. I do usually wait until it doesn't work anymore, and attempt to fix it, but I've torn apart some stuff that still works and worked after I put it together too! Of course I also build my own computers, and tear into them on a weekly basis, usually using cleaning or some other excuse to dive in.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
yeah, i like to fix things, most of the times i success, unless the damaged part is not reparable and it costs too much.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The magnets in electronics are a bonus for me. Have you ever gotten the magnet out of an old hard drive?

Jeslek

Banned
Yes :) If you like magnets, order some neodymium-iron-boron magnets. Neodymium is probably the most magnetic substance, and can make super magnets. I have two as big as watch battery, and they can attract each other through 1 inch wood. A 1/2" disc would run you about $5 - $10, but they are so much fun. Anything bigger than hm, a few grams and the post office won't ship it because it is so, um, darn magnetic. :D

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
That is how i ended up in the computer field, tearing things apart and fixing it. I just love doing it. Never been afraid of anything yet.
Hell this weekend im replacing the head gaskets on te wife van. Should be real fun...:D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
PuterTutor said:
I do usually wait until it doesn't work anymore, and attempt to fix it

I do that, anything broken I dismantle and try to repair, I figure its worth a shot if its trash anyway, and at least its a learning experience. :)

I rebuilt a carb that way a few years ago, all by myself :D

Stop Laughing

I took apart almost everything I could get my hands on, even when I was little, I'd take apart fans and stuff, but sometimes I didn't exactly wait until they were broken (this got me in trouble). I've still got an old hitachi VCR that I'd like to disassemble some more, but it's still currently in use as an adaptor for the PS2 to hook up to one of our TVs that doesn't have the A/V connection (yeah, I'm too cheap to go to Best Buy and pay $10 for the part right now). It won't be able to take any tapes, I bent the track that the tape carrier goes through too much and I'm not gonna bother with a bunch of stuff to bend it back, the cover is completely missing now anyways, and some of the wires may be cut as well, I've already soldered a couple of them back trying to get it to work again. :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I tore everything apart when I was a kid. I had to know what makes it tick. Then one day, I got the bill. Everything is still together now. ('cept my computer)

greenfreak

PuterTutor said:
The magnets in electronics are a bonus for me. Have you ever gotten the magnet out of an old hard drive?

I have one, taken apart, next to me right now. I also like the platters, they're so pretty. :)

My job keeps me busy with taking stuff apart. But when stuff does go bad, I hoard it in my cube. One of these days when I'm bored, I'll go through all the stuff and take it apart. So far I have four hard drives, a keyboard and a cracked laptop LCD display.

Scanty

My brother used to do that when we were little. Take apart stuff like torches. Except that when he put them back together again they didn't work. :retard:

Jeslek

Banned
Scanty said:
My brother used to do that when we were little. Take apart stuff like torches. Except that when he put them back together again they didn't work. :retard:
Yes that happens to me too, quite often.

Shadowfax

<b>mod cow</b>
I always take things apart, look very good when I'm doing that, and then I put it back together.

Love doing that :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
My brother enjoys taking stuff apart, although he rarely is ever puts it back together and I don't think anythign has EVER worked again!

As far as magnets go LL: I have 2 "earth magnets" they are almost an inch in diameter and will attract to each other through a desk that is almost 2 inches thick (i have tried anything thicker)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I've unintentionally taken my keyboard apart (by means of repeatedly smashing it against the desk), but other than my computers, 4 websites, 2 PSU's, a hard drive, and a few VCR's, I don't take much stuff apart

:beardbng:

greenfreak

The first time I had to replace a laptop motherboard at work, I was sweating it. PC's I have no problem with but I had never worked on a laptop and everything has to fit just so with the right size screws, etc. I did pretty good and I only had to reseat the CPU once to get it working again once I put it back together.

It's been a year and a half since I did that and I had to do another one last week and I was totally cool with it. Amazing what a difference it was in just one year. I have always wanted to go into networking but when I have to take a laptop apart or something like that, it keeps me satisfied in pc repair for a little while longer. :)

Coolest thing i did with a laptop is on an old 486 66MHz with win 3.1, took out the hdd used a converter to standard desktop IDE (laptop had no cd or floppy) and put the win 95 setup files on it, still ticking today (when i use it) with 95 and 8MB i think of ram lol.