Technofetishism - what toys turn you on?

At the moment, just a plain ole copy machine - our new one that is.

Old news I'm sure, but the copier is actually a copier/printer combined. So you can hook it up to the network and make fast copies from your workstation.

So now, I don't have to print my docs out at the printer, then take them over to the copy machine to make copies.

Takes for friggin ever on a regular printer - and some of our documents get quite large. And you don't get automatic sizing or auto double-siding or any other standard copier features. Oh, and 98% of our documents are electronic documents - printouts and copies are more for reference and ease of reading more than anything else.

Basically, anything I can do at the copier, I can now control from my desktop. (So can everyone else in the office, for that matter).

Laptops

I know they are old news but they get me all hot and bothered

Especially my ex's laptop. It has a removable base that houses the battery, disk drive, etc...

But you still have to get up off your nice, comfy chair and pick them up.

As for the rest, you simply need a better printer. I've a HPIID that does does duplex, resize, and all the rest. Even has an envelope feeder, with 250 envelope capacity. Yours for $50 plus shipping.

Fast ass video cards. Ohhh baby, I want that Radeon 9800 :brow:

Anything with a touch-screen (stylus), so all PDA's, some cell phones, some laptops...

Prof: Vince is the ex with the hot laptop. I am going to his house next week. He will be mad when he wants to watch a movie and all I wanna do is fiddle with the laptop :)

I like Fast Video cards, DDR, PDA's, Laptops, PC's, Microwaves, Toasters with built in Timers and crust drawers, TV's, VCR's, DVD's, Telephones, light bulbs, should I keep on going? OH yeah, Gas Powered, remote control cars. :headbang:

Me too, fast video cards. For the first time my system is really kicking some serious ass blowing away every Geforce on the market minus the FX, and i am lovin it. My machine in general. It's just so awesome having such a powerful multi purpose device. For just a little money i can replace a typewriter, TV, stereo cd-amp-equalizer, complex recording equiptment, video game consoles, radio, calculator, telephone and international library of congress just to name a few. Me with such power? What hath god wrought?!

Professur said:
But you still have to get up off your nice, comfy chair and pick them up.

True that. But if I had one in my office, my butt would just get that much bigger. It's nice to have an excuse to walk about sometimes.

Fast hard drives too. I don't really care for the PC being able to be an all-purpose device, I prefer to watch my TV and play my game consoles from a bigger screen and sitting on a couch (Although the second one is still accessible with a computer, a bigger screen that supports a good resolution is pretty expensive)

It's interesting. I quite like high-tech gadgets in general.

But I'm most impressed with the things that save me time/energy/whatever.

Like my watering timer for the yard. It's electronic although fairly low-tech, but now there's one less thing I have to worry about on a daily basis.

Here's another, a sub-set of stereo controls on the steering wheel of my van. I like that innovation. Let's me keep my eyes on the road while fiddling with the stereo.

Janimal said:
But I'm most impressed with the things that save me time/energy/whatever.
Yeah, those things are good too. This Intellimouse Explorer has saved me about 80-90% of all my mouse usage by having 2 extra buttons. (one for refresh, one for back; of course I have those buttons on the keyboard but I seem to use the mouse more)

fury said:
This Intellimouse Explorer has saved me about 80-90% of all my mouse usage by having 2 extra buttons
Mine are set to Windows Explorer and Back. :headbang:

I have too many locations that I browse through to waste a button on starting up Explorer. I usually just keep shortcuts to frequently accessed folders as a toolbar on the taskbar

Back