The argument for VEGETARIANISM

MrBishop

rex.gif

The Hunger Argument
Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million
Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million
Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people: 20
Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 80
Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95
Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90
How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2.3 seconds
Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000
Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250
Percentage of U.S. farmland devoted to beef production: 56
Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16

The Environmental Argument
Cause of global warming: greenhouse effect
Primary cause of greenhouse effect: carbon dioxide emissions from fossil fuels
Fossil fuels needed to produce meat-centered diet vs. a meat-free diet: 3 times more
Percentage of U.S. topsoil lost to date: 75
Percentage of U.S. topsoil loss directly related to livestock raising: 85
Number of acres of U.S. forest cleared for cropland to produce meat-centered diet: 260 million
Amount of meat imported to U.S. annually from Central and South America: 300,000,000 pounds
Percentage of Central American children under the age of five who are undernourished: 75
Area of tropical rainforest consumed in every quarter-pound of rainforest beef: 55 square feet
Current rate of species extinction due to destruction of tropical rainforests for meat grazing and other uses: 1,000 per year

The Cancer Argument
Increased risk of breast cancer for women who eat meat daily compared to less than once a week: 3.8 times
For women who eat eggs daily compared to once a week: 2.8 times
For women who eat butter and cheese 2-4 times a week: 3.25 times
Increased risk of fatal ovarian cancer for women who eat eggs 3 or more times a week vs. less than once a week: 3 times
Increased risk of fatal prostate cancer for men who consume meat, cheese, eggs and milk daily vs. sparingly or not at all: 3.6 times.

The Cholesterol Argument
Number of U.S. medical schools: 125
Number requiring a course in nutrition: 30
Nutrition training received by average U.S. physician during four years in medical school: 2.5 hours
Most common cause of death in the U.S.: heart attack
How frequently a heart attack kills in the U.S.: every 45 seconds
Average U.S. man's risk of death from heart attack: 50 percent
Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat: 15 percent
Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat, dairy or eggs: 4 percent
Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption of meat, dairy and eggs by 10 percent: 9 percent
Amount you reduce risk of heart attack if you reduce consumption by 50 percent: 45 percent
Amount you reduce risk if you eliminate meat, dairy and eggs from your diet: 90 percent
Average cholesterol level of people eating meat-centered-diet: 210 mg/dl
Chance of dying from heart disease if you are male and your blood cholesterol level is 210 mg/dl: greater than 50 percent

The Natural Resources Argument
User of more than half of all water used for all purposes in the U.S.: livestock production
Amount of water used in production of the average cow: sufficient to float a destroyer
Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of wheat: 25
Gallons of water needed to produce a pound of California beef: 5,000
Years the world's known oil reserves would last if every human ate a meat-centered diet: 13
Years they would last if human beings no longer ate meat: 260
Calories of fossil fuel expended to get 1 calorie of protein from beef: 78
To get 1 calorie of protein from soybeans: 2
Percentage of all raw materials (base products of farming, forestry and mining, including fossil fuels) consumed by U.S. that is devoted to the production of livestock: 33
Percentage of all raw materials consumed by the U.S. needed to produce a complete vegetarian diet: 2

The Antibiotic Argument
Percentage of U.S. antibiotics fed to livestock: 55
Percentage of staphylococci infections resistant to penicillin in 1960: 13
Percentage resistant in 1988: 91
Response of European Economic Community to routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock: ban
Response of U.S. meat and pharmaceutical industries to routine feeding of antibiotics to livestock: full and complete support

The Pesticide Argument
Common belief: U.S. Department of Agriculture protects our health through meat inspection
Reality: fewer than 1 out of every 250,000 slaughtered animals is tested for toxic chemical residues
Percentage of U.S. mother's milk containing significant levels of DDT: 99
Percentage of U.S. vegetarian mother's milk containing significant levels of DDT: 8
Contamination of breast milk, due to chlorinated hydrocarbon pesticides in animal products, found in meat-eating mothers vs. non-meat eating mothers: 35 times higher
Amount of Dieldrin ingested by the average breast-fed American infant: 9 times the permissible level

The Ethical Argument
Number of animals killed for meat per hour in the U.S.: 660,000
Occupation with highest turnover rate in U.S.: slaughterhouse worker
Occupation with highest rate of on-the-job-injury in U.S.: slaughterhouse worker

The Survival Argument
Athlete to win Ironman Triathlon more than twice: Dave Scott (6 time winner)
Food choice of Dave Scott: Vegetarian
Largest meat eater that ever lived: Tyrannosaurus Rex (Where is he today?)

Rose

Okay, I'm still reading through this. But I wanted to comment before the thought slipped my mind.

The Hunger Argument
Number of people worldwide who will die as a result of malnutrition this year: 20 million
Number of people who could be adequately fed using land freed if Americans reduced their intake of meat by 10%: 100 million

Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by people: 20
Percentage of corn grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 80
Percentage of oats grown in the U.S. eaten by livestock: 95
Percentage of protein wasted by cycling grain through livestock: 90
How frequently a child dies as a result of malnutrition: every 2.3 seconds
Pounds of potatoes that can be grown on an acre: 40,000
Pounds of beef produced on an acre: 250
Percentage of U.S. farmland devoted to beef production: 56
Pounds of grain and soybeans needed to produce a pound of edible flesh from feedlot beef: 16

Why the hell is it that all the "worldwide" problems and statistics have to be compared to America as a save-r? As an American, I'll be damn'd if you're going to reduce MY meat intake just to try to save the world's population. If the "world" doesn't help itself, America shouldn't have to be turned to.

Or maybe I'm just on a rant. End venting.

edit Oh yeah. And T-Rex? Isn't there some speculation that he might have been herbivour also? :shrug: I'm just sayin ...

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
I respect people choice to eat a certain type of diet.

as long as I can eat waht I want to.

arguements for eating meat:

canine teeth

don't argue with mother nature

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
The wife and kids and I discussed this a little at dinner last night. While we were eating Pork Steaks of course. Three of the kids and my wife said they could go Vegetarian, but not Vegan, The other three and me all say the same thing. If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat? I mean, I really like Meat.

Bungi

Argument for eating meat: I like the taste.

Other reason for heart disease, obesity.

Dave

The Antibiotic Argument
Percentage of U.S. antibiotics fed to livestock: 55
Percentage of staphylococci infections resistant to penicillin in 1960: 13
Percentage resistant in 1988: 91

this has more to do with the overuse of antibiotics in the medical field than with the livestock. there are a large number of people that expect, and some that demand, antibiotics for every little case of the sniffles. unfortunately, there are too many doctors that are willing to appease them.

MrBishop

Oh...don't get me wrong. I love meat...chicken, beef, pork etc... BBQ it, broil it, shish-kabob the thing...I'll eat it. BUT...I can reduce my intake some.

Is 10% really all that much to ask for? Think about it...skip McDonalds once every two weeks. Instead of a 16oz sirloin, take a 14oz instead and eat a nice ceasar salad :)

God gave us incisors...4 of them, but he also gave us a whole whack more veggie-cunching teeth. Humans are meant to be omniverous...eat pretty much anything, but we focus on meat.

Where's the variety?

Rose... the USA crowned itself as the world-savers when it comes to removing despots etc...why not save a few innocents starving or malnourished while you're at it?

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
Hey I don't only eat meat

I also eat fish, and chicken

and hot dogs!

I eat veggies too, just like the space aliens that seeded our planet with life intended.

Cutting down? I think I have cut down some, at one point I was having red meat 5 times a week, now it's down to once a week.

Tried veganism once, made me sick.

Rose

MrBishop said:
Rose... the USA crowned itself as the world-savers when it comes to removing despots etc...why not save a few innocents starving or malnourished while you're at it?

I'm all for saving starving and malnourished kids/adults. In America where it our people need it most.

tonksy

i was a vegetarian for about a year...i was a silly teenager at the time..nowadays i find cheeseburgers to be simplt too delicious to deny. everything in moderatgion...that's the key.

MrBishop

Rose said:
I'm all for saving starving and malnourished kids/adults. In America where it our people need it most.

By all means...charity begins at home. 100 million people is a lot though...there are only about 10million americans who are malnourished...not on the verge of death, but merely malnourished. What are you going to do about the other 90 million that you can save per year?

BTW... this doesn't count the food that's wasted yearly by fast-food joints, restaurants etc...and the farmers that are paid to destroy their crops or pour out their milk because it would upset the economy. Can you imagine sending this destroyed/wasted food to another counrty and having them pay for shipping?

Too many people die every year because of economic reasons or because of greedy diets.

MrBishop

Top twelve signs of greedy-diets

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1• Because of safety concerns, the Federal Aviation Administration has instructed airlines to add ten pounds to approved passenger weights.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2• When administering vaccines and drawing blood, doctors now need longer needles to penetrate thicker layers of fat on Americans’ bodies[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3• Almost 25% of women in their 50's are too large to have their body fat measured with a traditional skinfold caliper, an instrument developed in the 1950’s[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].4• Liposuction is the most commonly performed cosmetic surgical procedure in the U.S., increasing 118% between 1997 and 2001.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5• Over the last decade, diabetes rates rose 60% in the U.S.5 (Over half of diabetes cases are due to overweight, poor diet and physical inactivity.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6• Today’s size 10 was sold as a women’s size 14 in the 1940's[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].7• The Gap, Limited Too and Target are selling plus-sized clothes for youth[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].8• Plus-size boutique Lane Bryant is expected to increase its number of stores from 650 to 1,000 over five years. Catherine's Plus Sizes is projected to increase from 470 to 700 stores. The plus-size clothing market generates $23 billion in sales a year, accounting for a quarter of women’s clothing sales[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9• Nike changed the size scale for its women’s fitness apparel. A small sports bra use to fit a woman with a 33-inch to 35-inch bust. Now it fits a 35- to 37-inch bust.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10• One of the reasons that the Boston Red Sox decided to rebuild the legendary Fenway Park was that the seats were too narrow for today’s baseball fans. The seats in the new ballpark are four inches wider[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11• More benches and bigger seats have been installed in Seattle’s Puget Sound ferries to accommodate wider riders.[/font]
[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12• Despite the rising obesity rates and the tremendous impact [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]they are having on Americans’ health and health-care costs, federal and state governments still are doing little to address the problem. To reduce obesity, federal, state and local governments need to mount campaigns to promote healthy eating and physical activity, require calorie labeling in fast food and other chain restaurants, decrease the availability of junk food in schools, make walking and biking safer and more convenient by building bike lanes, sidewalks and trails, increase physical education in schools, restrict junk-food advertising and marketing aimed at children, and put into place other policies and programs that help to make it easier for Americans to eat better and be more physically active.[/font]

Rose

Re: Top twelve signs of greedy-diets

HeXp£Øi± said:
This thread is making me hungry.

Agreed.

I know America is Fat. I regularly refer to "Fat America" when I'm at fast food places, especially Taco Bueno. Did you know those bastards serve "medium" cokes in those HUGEass cups?

MrBishop

Hope that no-one's getting pissed at me for calling the kettle fat, but it's a reality...North Americans overeat and we waste food. On the other side of the same planet...people are starving to death at the rate of 2.4 per second. It took me 30 seconds to compose this, type it and hit reply...that's 72 people dead.

Something to think about over lunch, non?

IDLEchild

If the "world" doesn't help itself, America shouldn't have to be turned to.

If it can force its influence on others then it better be prepared to play Mommy to the world.

If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat? I mean, I really like Meat.

I hope that was a joke.

Too many people die every year because of economic reasons or because of greedy diets.

*Is reminded of the horrid waste of food, good unused food, in school cafeterias*

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Why should it be a joke? Do you not think we were meant to eat animals?

IDLEchild

PuterTutor said:
Why should it be a joke? Do you not think we were meant to eat animals?

We are not above animals so we are not condemned against eating them because they do not waste effort thinking whether they should eat us, they just do it.

But the way you put it sounds...well not to be rude...very childish. Anytime god is used as an excuse in an argument it losses all credibility.
I can understand stating the fact that meats provide essential oils and nutrients if consumed in moderation or even the fact that it is on the food pyramid (Which is a shoddy little nutrition guide in itself) but simply saying god made animals out of meat doesn't cut it....animals aren't made of meat..meat is made out of animals.

I agree that there isn't anything wrong or morally reprehensive about eating chickens or cows or dogs (???) or whatever else walks....it is all a cycle of life...sans god.

Rose

MrBishop said:
Hope that no-one's getting pissed at me for calling the kettle fat, but it's a reality...North Americans overeat and we waste food. On the other side of the same planet...people are starving to death at the rate of 2.4 per second. It took me 30 seconds to compose this, type it and hit reply...that's 72 people dead.

Something to think about over lunch, non?

I don't think anyone really has any ground to get upset with you calling North Americans fat. I often bitch about FatAmerica, especially when I try to order a medium drink from Taco Bueno and the bastards give me a hugeass drink the size of ... it's gotta be half a gallon or so. I swear. You know those huge cups I speak of ...