The Big Unit in the Big Apple

PostCode

Major contributor!
I'm telling you all. That Florida team, no, not the Marlins, the other one...those are the guys you gotta watch out for.

:lol2:

Seriously though, Randy had absolutely no support from the lineup last year. It was pathetic. Now with the Yanks lineup he may very become the first 30 game winner in how long.... Think about it. He's still got a few good years left in him. The guy bleeds determination. Just look at his face when he pitches.

Combine that with the Yanks offense and you may very well be looking at a 30 game winner.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
1923...was that the Yanks third season of existance? No? Didn't think so :p

abooja

Gonz said:
1923...was that the Yanks third season of existance? No? Didn't think so :p
It's like this. The Yankees built on that early success for several generations, and continue to build on that success, whereas the Diamondbacks did what exactly? Oh, yeah. They're getting ready to trade the only guy worth anything on their roster because he's too disgusted to continue playing for Arizona. A different kind of tradition, but a tradition all the same, I guess. :p

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
abooja said:
It's like this. The Yankees built on that early success for several generations, and continue to build on that success, whereas the Diamondbacks did what exactly? Oh, yeah. They're getting ready to trade the only guy worth anything on their roster because he's too disgusted to continue playing for Arizona. A different kind of tradition, but a tradition all the same, I guess. :p

As a former true blue Dodger fan, please don't speak of tradition, building success & the Yankee's in the same breath. ESPECIALLY as long as Steinbrenner holds the checkbook. The Dodgers were probably the last farm based team. Then the O'Malleys sold them. :(

abooja

PostCode said:
They played eight games back in 1921 (and who knows how long before that).
Wow, I hadn't noticed that. Very interesting. Wonder if it was a best of 9 series? :confused:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
That wasn't a WS....it was a championship year. 1923 was their first title.

abooja

Gonz said:
As a former true blue Dodger fan, please don't speak of tradition, building success & the Yankee's in the same breath. ESPECIALLY as long as Steinbrenner holds the checkbook. The Dodgers were probably the last farm based team. Then the O'Malleys sold them. :(
My father would agree with you there. Like so many other died-in-the-wool Brooklyn Dodgers fans of his day, he was devastated when they left Brooklyn. He has hated the NY Yankees virtually since gestation, which is why I grew up a Mets fan, like him. My early affection for Bucky Dent was quashed because Yankee games could not be viewed in my father's home, at least not while he was around. The strange thing is, he'll still root for them when they're in the World Series (except for 2000), because he's a New Yorker above all else. :cool:

Stop Laughing

The bigger they are, the harder they fall. Unless you get some fearsome throwers in your pen, you'll be knocked out again.

If the Cubs get Beltran and actually get full seasons out of Prior and Wood along with Zambrano, hmm...

Hey Yanks, we got some stuff on our clearance rack, you guys want Sosa or Farnsworth?

JAWOHL

abooja said:
JAWOHL is another reinforcement, though I doubt she'll ever post.

That's alright. I think two bigmouthed Yankee fans should do the trick. :grinyes:

Apparently, abooja knows how to get me posting. Allow me to introduce myself by saying how damned psyched I am about Randy Johnson's 6'10" frame donning the pinstripes. According to the NYT, Johnson drove around Arizona in a Hummer with a mural on the rear of a caricature of himself striking out a skeleton. I think NYC is going to love this guy! I'd very much enjoy being a third bigmouthed Yankee fan. :D

*party2* <-- this is a great smiley, btw!!

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
I mouse over, see Randy vs. Curt, and what do I immediately think of?

WWF - Randy Savage vs. Curt Hennig

*badly needs help :crying3:

unclehobart

Hmm... That wasn't the first thing I thought as Mr Perfect was a Kurt Hennig.

...but I understand the inference. Savage would have taken him. I've met them both and worked out with them years ago. Savage is short... but one scary strong dude.

abooja

SouthernN'Proud said:
Indeed. Win one for the Gi...aw hell, just win one already, wouldya?!!
Funny, I assumed he was talking about the
nhl_rangers.gif
. :p

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Ahem...

Baseball...the third most boring sport in the world. Three hour games...overpaid players...underappreciated fans...overextended season...*sigh*

*Am I the last Pirate fan in existence?

abooja

Gato_Solo said:
Am I the last Pirate fan in existence?
Well, that explains why you find it so boring. :lol2:

BTW, need some real visceral excitement? Go to a live stock car race. ;)

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
abooja said:
Well, that explains why you find it so boring. :lol2:

Better leave the Buc's alone...Just because they don't have the deep pockets, everybody picks on them. :p

abooja said:
BTW, need some real visceral excitement? Go to a live stock car race. ;)

BTDT...Charlotte a few years ago...Noisy as hell, too. Even through my AF hearing protection.