The bottom of the slope is near

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Please.

LONDON (Reuters) - A terminally-ill patient has lost the last stage of a legal challenge for the right to receive nutrition and drink when he is close to death, his lawyers said on Tuesday.

Leslie Burke, 46, who has a degenerative brain condition, fears artificial nutrition could be stopped against his wishes when he cannot talk anymore.

Burke was seeking to overturn a ruling made by the Court of Appeal in London last year, which said it would be lawful for doctors to refuse him artificial nutrition and hydration (ANH).

But the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg said in a written judgement released to Burke and the government last week that it had declined his appeal.

All those people who warned about this kind of behavior & then were lambasted for being reactionaries need an apology.

Scotsman

Oh fine, since you want to be dense. There are lots of people who said that allowing assisted suicide (more commonly known as homicide in some circles) will open a path to elder & medical abuse. The "quality of life" argument. The Netherlands were one of the first to decide that the infirmed were useless. Now they've gone to this point.

Just because you don't want to read all the RW threads doesn't mean we have to reiterate old posts.

Oh fine, since you want to be dense. There are lots of people who said that allowing assisted suicide (more commonly known as homicide in some circles) will open a path to elder & medical abuse. The "quality of life" argument. The Netherlands were one of the first to decide that the infirmed were useless. Now they've gone to this point.

Just because you don't want to read all the RW threads doesn't mean we have to reiterate old posts.

No need to act cranky, it was a simple question.

The answer it seems is that you think assisted suicide ala Kovorkian led to this man losing his court case. The trick now is to show some correlation between the two.

See, Spike, we've already covered this topic. When I found this story, it was just another example of how once you open th egate, just a little, you can't close it again.

If you'd care to make statements or rebuttal, go ahead. It makes for more interesting threads.

I can close my gate after I open it.

Rebuttal? I'll wait until you show the relationship.

He's trying to overturn a law that affects not just himself, but pretty much everybody in such a condition. If a person doesn't not want to be in a vegetative state and states as much in his living-will..the law states that given enough proof..the Doctors (in conjunction with the family) can deny ANH. If he'd won his inunction, nobody could have such a choice.

The current law doesn't stop him from requesting ANH, nor is it forcing doctors into denying it..it still falls to a combination of the Living-will, the family and the doctor's recommendations. :shrug:

The door hasn't budged.

lost the last stage of a legal challenge for the right to receive nutrition and drink

the door has fallen off the hinges & floated downstream

Back