The history of this forum...

Asylumbound

Does anyone one here remember when.....

A million years ago in a galaxy far far away...a bunch of people used to raise hell on a forum known as Hardware central....and eventually their OT forum was completely shut down.... A few people from there (and one in particular) started this site....

Does anyone here remember the names of that crowd..and the original founder etc.

For posterities stake..i used to be "Necessary Evil"; (and for a time i was AB Normal but i lost that one, looks like someone else uses that here now).... ..most of the posters from then are scattered to the wind and or changed names and or dont bother posting any more. I admit i have gotten old and dont do it much any more (except on specific hobby sites like Reefcentral/allfordmustangs etc....some times ill post on Hardocp for computers but thats about it....

Sorry, just having a moment down memory lane... It seems even THIS sites hey day was back around 2006-2007.

I browse through the list and some times i THINK i recognize a screen name from back then (like Fury)..but who the heck really knows (or remembers any more).... Quake III arena had just came out and i built my first computer..a Slot A Athlon machine with Geforce 2 (i think it was) video card...(which was an upgrade from my older machine that had a Vodoo card in it)....AGP 4x was brand new (and unstable) and it would only run at 2x.....but between HWC and playing QIII arena..i lived online (killed many brain cells doin that to i think...thats what i remember). Oh and many many late night fights on HWC..

I guess that is what i am asking..does anyone know? Does anyone remember? I really miss those HWC days...when everyone came here i was in the middle of a divorce and then caught up in an extremely destructive relationship with your very on sexyboo (hope she is happy now).... Oh and does ANYONE remember Necessary Evil from HWC? I dont think i was very helpful/or liked..but i really enjoyed giving people a hard time back then...

Asylumbound

Eh, never mind. I did a search through archives and actually myself debating gamecube vs xbox...lol Wow the time has flown.

catocom

I was on HWC quite regular then too.
I went more over the way of JJR512.com forum that started around the
same time, then came here a few times then, then JJR closed down completely,
I got more into political discussion, but the political scene is what ran many off here.

I have my own little forum, but still come here for the 'heated' debate.

I used to help out on HWC mostly in the hardware/software problem solving,
but it seems many more people are more computer savvy these days so there's
plenty of help/views out there.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
I think the geforce 2 wasn't out by the time q3a was released, could be wrong. I'm positive that at least the original geforce (256?) was out.

I remember playing it with a tnt2 ultra (32MB) and 64MB of RAM on a Pentium III 500MHz!!!!

tommyj27

Not really Banned
I think the geforce 2 wasn't out by the time q3a was released, could be wrong. I'm positive that at least the original geforce (256?) was out.

wikipedia suggests that Q3A was released 12/99 and the geforce2 on 4/00 (geforce256 was 8/99); so I guess you get the gold star for obscure trivia today.:clap:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
I languished with Q3A on a Voodoo3 16M and Celeron 333 until about 7/00, when I got my sweet Slot A 750Mhz and TNT2 32M.

...How far we've come

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
wikipedia suggests that Q3A was released 12/99 and the geforce2 on 4/00 (geforce256 was 8/99); so I guess you get the gold star for obscure trivia today.:clap:

:lol:

I only remember because when I was picking video cards for my then-new puter q3a was recently released and the only available cards were the tnt2 and the gf 256. The price difference was huge, so I settled for the tnt2 ultra (which was quite expensive nonetheless USD$300) :shrug:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
As I recall, that PC died a firey, overclocked death. Replaced by a super-sweet XP1600 with a geforce2 GTS. There was also a Radeon 8500 somewhere around that time with cool 64M of memory.

edit: actually, before the 1600, there was a month or two when i had no money, so i was living with a Pentium 166 notebook. No good for a college student with a gaming habit.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Back in my day, I was tweaking a Voodoo3 2000 PCI to run Quake 3 at 23 FPS instead of 20. :beerbang:

tommyj27

Not really Banned
I think my Voodoo3 is a 2000 as well. I still have it around, for the instances where I require PCI video.

Altron

I think more of the old-timers are on cato's place.

OTC has sorta crumbled outside of TRW.

Came here from Mikhailtech upon recommendations from Kruz, one of the Atlanta guys that was big on here, a year or two after OTC opened up.

ResearchMonkey

Out of respect for cato, I don't post on his forum. I go there occasionally and read though. Seems the lefty's heads all a'spololded and cleared out of here.