The Primaries

Gotholic

you mean much better than you perceive I think?

I keep up with it.

No, did you check out that vid? In Tampa, we may have a better idea on the total delegates for Ron Paul.

8LjYf.jpg

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
You all need to stop. Electing a government should not be a popularity contest, which the primary system we use and our two party choices has given us. It should be more like a job interview. We, as citizens, have started thinking that it is more correct that "our guy" get in than which person is best suited for the job. We start out with a field of candidates and, whichever one promises us the most stuff, winds up being the person that gets elected. Nobody asks who is going to suffer to pay for our 'stuff', and nobody looks to see what the long-term will be like when our stuff is delivered. You may now go back to your cheer-leading and second-tier candidates, as most of our first choices are now gone...

catocom

Like I said...
I like Paul. He's my #2 choice, and close now to the top.
I definitely Do Not like Maddow though.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
You all need to stop. Electing a government should not be a popularity contest, which the primary system we use and our two party choices has given us. It should be more like a job interview. We, as citizens, have started thinking that it is more correct that "our guy" get in than which person is best suited for the job. We start out with a field of candidates and, whichever one promises us the most stuff, winds up being the person that gets elected. Nobody asks who is going to suffer to pay for our 'stuff', and nobody looks to see what the long-term will be like when our stuff is delivered. You may now go back to your cheer-leading and second-tier candidates, as most of our first choices are now gone...

That's the problem. Everybody is concerned about "who can get elected" instead of the best choice for office. It's not always who promises us the best stuff.
Hell, Mitt has no idea what the best stuff is & Newt changes his best stuff to suit his audience.

Palin/Daniels 2012

2minkey

bootlicker

right.

so... pick your president. anybody. reality of the current campaign aside. who is best qualified? who would most likely do something worthwhile?

my vote would go to... hmmm... a certain automotive exec i worked with years ago. she was super cool yet tough as shit, and seemed to get things done forcefully when need be. but, then, she rose through the ranks of powertrain, which is a total sausage fest and mightily sexist... so she had to learn to cornhole people for sport. i would combine her ability with another automotive person, an old-school engine guy (also executive level, as VP) who is the shrewdest investor i know. needless to say neither is particularly "liberal" when it comes to economic matters, nor a buddy of rick "i want to regulate your bedroom" santorum.

right, i know, the auto industry is hardly a shining example at the moment, but, when it comes down to it, i have by far been most impressed with CERTAIN individuals in that industry... i've a seen a few other big industries up close and ugly. for me it seems that there is less MBA-style bullshit and more practical problem solving than we see elsewhere. while all big organizations have their problems, it seems like a technical emphasis is better than an administrative/beancounting emphasis. i suspect you would agree.

i'd like to see big cuts to shit that does not pay off, and avid interest in fostering - by incremental deregulation and tax incentives - productive industries.

i do think deregulation is important in the sense that the older big US companies are getting pretty shit-clogged, and have enough lawyers to deal with regulation, but newer businesses don't have those resources. and they need to thrive unless we want the chinese to feed us our own butts. there needs to be a new wave of american companies that haul ass, and a government friendly to that would kick ass.

in short, we need real talent in the white house. not some smiley guy dick.

right. what you said.

catocom

well, we know Paul has no chance now, and Newt has one heartbeat left.

Santorum is coming on strong.

I don't see it going past May.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Newt shot his wad last night. It landed on the floor. He needs to step aside. When Romney was the projected winner, I was sad but set to accept it. With Santorums wins, it's a two man race & the remaining need to vacate ASAP.

2minkey

bootlicker

if he gets the nomination, obama WILL win again. santorum would do horribly with independents and women who reject his social agenda, providing obama with a healthy margin of victory.

...and given his mixed record on unions and pork, he's not going to hold up as a fiscal conservative.

pray for mitt HA HA.

Gotholic

well, we know Paul has no chance now, and Newt has one heartbeat left.

I don't see it going past May.

No, you don't know. The beauty contests do not determine the nomination. We will have a better look during the convention.

catocom

No, you don't know. The beauty contests do not determine the nomination. We will have a better look during the convention.

yes, I do know.
I know how to count on more than just my fingers and toes.
The numbers just don't add up.