The Real Electoral Map

gonz said:
Every American is liberal or conservative.
a finite statement

gonz said:
There are varying degree's but in the end, every body is on one end or the other of the center line.
an open ended statement.

which one you want?

Spot said:
saying every american is either liberal or conservative is rather limiting. there are varying degrees. to me that is like saying colors are either red or violet.

I was thinking more black or white, but well put.

Gonz said:
They both work because they say the same thing.

Once again, in your mind things say what you believe they say regardless of what they actually say. :shrug: They in no way say the same thing. In one you make a definitive statement and in the other you prove my point for me. I've said it many times, but trying to put people into these simplistic little boxes is simply impossible. You can be conservative and pro-gay marriage for instance or you can be liberal and pro-life. Why do you find it so unlikely that you can be neither and still support both stands? Sorry Gonz, but your position is unsupportable. The problem with your arbitrary "line" is that each individual draws it in a different place.

Sure you can, Eric. Of course Gonz would say that makes you one or the other.

chcr said:
Once again, in your mind things say what you believe they say regardless of what they actually say.

Instead of asking for clarification you challenge me on what I wrote?

chcr said:
Why do you find it so unlikely that you can be neither and still support both stands?

Because I abhor hypocrisy.

freako104 said:
can we be in the centre leaning a certain way? like centre leaning left or right?

There is no center. One may well stand near the the balance between left & right but it's off to either side they must be. There are far too many possible positions to be perfectly balanced.

Gonz said:
There is no center. One may well stand near the the balance between left & right but it's off to either side they must be. There are far too many possible positions to be perfectly balanced.

Okay, I give up. There is no center. How do you know when you're near something that doesn't exist????????

Gonz said:

so we can be close to the balance but there is no true balance? is that a paradox?

Because I abhor hypocrisy

so its hypocrisy for me to have any conservative values since I am a liberal?

so its hypocrisy for me to have any conservative values since I am a liberal?

In general, no. It would be hypocritical to espouse values you don't believe in.

Unlike some people here believe, life can be concurrently complex & simple.

so it is NOT hypocritical that I am for the death penalty and against gun control?

I always defined hypocrisy as the

Do as I say not as I do saying

That is the definition of hypocrisy. The death penalty & gun controlare not related subjects. If you owned a gun shop & called for gun control, that's hypocrisy.

conservative
Function: noun
1 a : an adherent or advocate of political conservatism b capitalized : a member or supporter of a conservative political party
2 a : one who adheres to traditional methods or views b : a cautious or discreet person

liberal
: a person who is liberal: as a : one who is open-minded or not strict in the observance of orthodox, traditional, or established forms or ways b capitalized : a member or supporter of a liberal political party c : an advocate or adherent of liberalism especially in individual rights

The words mean what they mean regardless of what one thinks they mean. To reiterate, most Americans are not "either/or" but instead neither and being neither, they pick and choose their political stands based on what they believe is right regardless of what arbitrary, meaningless label someone else wants to put on it.

conservatism
1 capitalized a : the principles and policies of a Conservative party b : the Conservative party
2 a : disposition in politics to preserve what is established b : a political philosophy based on tradition and social stability, stressing established institutions, and preferring gradual development to abrupt change

liberalism
1 : the quality or state of being liberal
2 a often capitalized : a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity b : a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard c : a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties d capitalized : the principles and policies of a Liberal party

Well damn now. They are the same. Well, except the part of forcing all to bow to the will of a few.

Back