The Realm of Historic Triviality

OK - we know Alexander The Great ordered the city of Alexandria (Egypt) to be built in 332-331 BC, but who designed it and what was his nationality?

I bet ris knows this one. :)

ris has a fair idea it's ptolemies but my guess at nationality would either be egyptian [my history knowledge isn't too brilliant on those sorts of things]

I couldn't come up with the answer, so I cheated. It turned out to be someone who's name I've never heard before in my life. *sigh*

ris said:
ris has a fair idea it's ptolemies but my guess at nationality would either be egyptian [my history knowledge isn't too brilliant on those sorts of things]

I'm disappointed. :( I thought you would know being an architect. A clue - he was a greek. :)

Aunty Em said:
ris said:

I'm disappointed. :( I thought you would know being an architect. A clue - he was a greek. :)

i checked my big-ol' history book after all this passed and while i got the name wrong i got the country of origin thing right. bear in mind that my big old history book is the only one i have and doesn't have his name at all. we only did one course on architectural history and that was only on western architecture [greek onwards] and it was 7 years ago.

just be glad i got anywhere near, i'm a c20th archi boy :)

ris said:
i checked my big-ol' history book after all this passed and while i got the name wrong i got the country of origin thing right. bear in mind that my big old history book is the only one i have and doesn't have his name at all. we only did one course on architectural history and that was only on western architecture [greek onwards] and it was 7 years ago.

just be glad i got anywhere near, i'm a c20th archi boy :)

Well lets face it ris it's historical trivia anyway - I wouldn't have known if I hadn't taken Alixandria as my middle name years ago. It's always good to know who built the thing you've named yourself after. ;)

HeXp£Øi± said:
How was it that in 1917 General Allenby took Jerusalem without firing a shot?

I was under the impression that it fell after a day of fighting which began on 8 Dec, but that Allenby didn't enter the city until 11 Dec on foot, 2 weeks before his Christmas deadline. I presume you say that's why there were no shots fired.

Leaflets were dropped from planes which contained text that caused horror among the population causing them to flee. What was written on the leaflets, anyone?

Back