The things kids say

HomeLAN said:
Is your son ready to move on yet? Dunno, never met him.

We hardly use baby-talk with him... there are a few exceptions..bodily functions being one of them. Then again, he's only 2 1/2 and try to learn 3 languages at once. Language skills slow down for a while and then...rapidly pick up again. Until he's mastered 3-sylable words...I think that I'll stick to 'ca-ca' over 'shit' , 'dump', 'crap' anyday.

It seems that we're discussing two extremes here...atleast in terms of the alternatives for the baby talk of "ca-ca" "pee-pee" and "bum-bum". All of the alternatives I feel are bordering on profanity or just plain rude words (with the expection of the proper "scientific" terms of course). Not saying I don't use them but they are definately NOT words I'd not wanna hear out of the mouth of anyone less than 10 or 11 at the YOUNGEST. This of course is not to say that baby talk is the right alternative. The doubling up of words is often what is used as baby talk it seems. Why not just use single acceptable, non rude or profain words? "poo" "pee" "bum"...I don't think that is BABY talk, it is also not to technical nor rude for a child, IMHO.

The former kindergartners were trying to become accustomed to first grade. The biggest hurdle they faced was that the teacher insisted on no baby talk. You need to use "big people words," she'd always remind them.

She asked Wendy what she had done over the weekend.
"I went to visit my Nana"
"No, you went to visit your GRANDMOTHER. Use big people words!"

She then asked Joey what he had done.
"I took a ride on a choo-choo," he said.
"No, you took a ride on a TRAIN, use big people words!"

She then asked Eddie what he had done.
"I read a book," he replied.
"That's wonderful," the teacher said. "What book did you read?"
Eddie thought about it, then puffed out his chest with great pride and said, "Winnie The Shit."

MrBishop said:
Thanks... my kid's trying to learn three languages. Euphamisms are useful. He didn't ever use a pacifyer though...so when do I start? :D

Ooh, three languages?
We use two languages with my kids - Hawaiian and English.
I wish I knew enough Japanese to teach my kids. I guess I have to leave that up to my mom.

Nixy said:
It seems that we're discussing two extremes here...atleast in terms of the alternatives for the baby talk of "ca-ca" "pee-pee" and "bum-bum". All of the alternatives I feel are bordering on profanity or just plain rude words (with the expection of the proper "scientific" terms of course). Not saying I don't use them but they are definately NOT words I'd not wanna hear out of the mouth of anyone less than 10 or 11 at the YOUNGEST. This of course is not to say that baby talk is the right alternative. The doubling up of words is often what is used as baby talk it seems. Why not just use single acceptable, non rude or profain words? "poo" "pee" "bum"...I don't think that is BABY talk, it is also not to technical nor rude for a child, IMHO.

It's all in perspective. My son can say "It's raining...want umbrella for me!" and follow it up with "Right NOW!"

We use ca-ca, because just 'ca' also sounds like "car" and sometimes "cat" if he's feeling lazy and doesn't pronounce the "t" - ca-ca doesn't sound like anything except messy :D

ku'u - I wish that I rmembered enough of my Japanese to try and teach him 4 languages...and my Latin's pretty much useless to him right now.

kuulani said:
Ooh, three languages?
We use two languages with my kids - Hawaiian and English.
I wish I knew enough Japanese to teach my kids. I guess I have to leave that up to my mom.

*ahem

Ohio gozaimass. ;)

Back