The victor gets a cookie in 6 to 8 weeks.

Me personally...
I have my main on, then one in my moms shop to do digitizing on,
one in my computer lab to run diagnostics with(and play music),
one (right now)in the lab to experiment with overclocking,
3 in the lab ready to sell, theeeenn
There's the Beowulf experiment. (got 7 comps hooked to it right now)
but I don't run it much these days due to high power bills, but I just
bought 3 new books on Linux,;) so I maybe be playing with it some
more soon.

greenfreak said:
Besides using them for different OS and as file servers, what do you use that many comptuers for?

My main machine is used for Windows stuff....stuff I can't do in other environments (primarily programming for school (.NET)) as well as web design (Dreamweaver), email, and Windows games (this one goes to LANs). My secondary machine is for surfing and playing around in linux without having to worry about messing up the fileserver. My XP laptop goes to work with me when I do web design there or if I need internet wherever I go (using wireless or my phone). My faster, slackware laptop is my wardriving laptop, it had RedHat 8 before. My dumb terminal doesn't do much, honestly. However I'm considering putting it in the garage or the workroom in the basement for a internet terminal as well as music via network mp3s.

Mirlyn said:
I was thinking of getting a SparcStation 20 or something like that to have sitting somewhere (they're just cool looking in my opinion). But I know once I got one, and found drives for it, I'd permanently move to the couch in the other room for sleep. :p
SGI boxes are even sexier IMO

My main one runs my graphics programmes, visual studio and web design stuff. Plus it's the one I tend to surf with...

Second one is overclocked (so I don't screw up the first) and is used for all things music related... sound studio, downloads, etc. Plus it's dual booted with Linux as I,m learning to use that operating system.

The third one - technically Katie's - just runs '98 and her 80 odd programmes - scary, she almost has as many as me.

4th will be for my mum to surf with and run the odd program - astrology - need I say more?

5th is for Rachel - stand alone word processing and graphics machine... she has just successfully got into the graphics design diploma course for september. After that, if she does well she'll be able to take her degree.

Last year i could have competed...if you count roommates computers (I had 6 roommates)

1. Me (4)
a. 1.2 ghz AMD, 512 mb ram, 80 GB hdd - main rig
b. 700 mhz gateway laptop, 512 mb ram (since been replaced)
c. 500 mhz AMD k/6, 256 mb ram (ran Linux and 2000 server on different hard drives, to play around with)
d. 233 mxz PentiumII (with MMX!) (i dont remember why i even turned this one on)

2. Chris (2)
a. 233 mhz dell from BackInTheDay
b. 133 mhz laptop

3. Jesse (1)
a. dont remember, didnt really like they guy, but he had a POS.

4. Jeff (2)
a. a sweet machine when he built it, i think around a 1.2 ghz, for music editing (music and telecom/production major)
b. slower machine for other things

5. Ryay (1)
a. a gateway his parents bought him.

6. Andrew (1)
a. a compaq.

7. Nathan (2)
pretty much the same setup as Jeff, his graphics machine was probably a lot faster though, as its newer...had one of the first 128 mb video cards (telecom/production major, focused on computer animation).

8. Bobby Dumpskins/Infospan9000/628(1)
a. this was a PII - 300 mhz (or so) machine set up in the living room for people to piss others off with on Instant Messenger under the name BobbyDumpskins. It was part of a wall in the living room that had 5 televisions and 1 monitor (for the Infospan9000/628). Hooked up to the 5 televisions were an Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis (sucks), PS2 (doubled as a DVD player) and a VCR. All devices could be displayed on any TV, or all TVs, or how ever you like, through a coax switchbox I bought at goodwill for $1.98. This was awesome. Much better then any computer. What's better then playing Bump n Jump on 5 TVs? Jack Squat, thats what.

14 PCs, all tied together with a cheap Linksys router w/8 port switch, plus another 8 port linksys switch, and the Wall of Entertainment.

rrfield

Mine:

Athlon XP 1.53ghz @ 1.67ghz - 512mb PC2700 (@145.7mhz CAS2) - 2x 120gb WD w/ 8mb cache (non-RAID)

My brothers (currently here for me to fix):

T-bird 1.2 @ 1.33 - 256mb PC133 CAS2 - 40gb Western Digital 400AB

My dad's:

K6-2 400 - 256mb PC133 @ 100 - 60gb IBM Deathstar 75gxp

No longer in service, but hanging around for parts storage:
K6-2 450, 2 486 50's, a 386 16

Back