the winter doldrums

tommyj27

Not really Banned
i'm not a winter person, which sucks because i live in a frigid icebox better known as minnesota. last week was relatively warm and i a had a wonderful time, went running outside and the whole bit. but now that the temperature is dropping and there's snow in the air my energy has just dropped. i want to go biking and toss a frisbee around with my brother. i want to sit in a screen porch with my buds and watch a summer thunderstorm roll. most of all, i NEED to climb outside.

random thought, all you peeps in the frigid north, what are you looking forward to doing once it warms up?

Lack of cold & green. Bar-B-Qing ( I still do a little in the winter), gardening, fresh air, warmth , wearing far less clothes, sitting outside.

I know what you mean, I'm not a big fan of winter either. The cold, the lack of outside life...

I've kept my spirits up this winter by stepping up my plant collection at home and at work. The greenery reminds me that spring isn't far away. Also, being a gardener, you have to plan for spring months ahead. Planning what you want to plant, buying seeds, planting them inside and caring for them while they're little ting seedlings, replanting them when they get big enough, acclimating them to the temps outside...

I haven't been down to the boardwalk to do a sunset walk with Rusty in a while, that would be nice. Watching all the birds come back to my feeders, driving with the sunroof open, going on short weekend trips to take pictures... I miss all of it. But I appreciate spring, summer and fall more because there *is* winter. I really missed that when I lived in Florida. It just wasn't normal to me to have no discernable change of season.

the summer thing I miss most is being up at 6am, when it's like...20c out there...going outside in my bathrobe, and sitting in a lawnchair, watching the day begin, sipping my coffee and listening to the birds, watching the squirrels. :)

*sigh*

looks outside at the drab whiteness :(

You're reading my mind, Leslie...I love having coffee on the deck and watching the sunrise paint the sky.....listening to the birds come to life and begin their busy day with a song.....

The terrain is much too hilly here to watch the sunrise. :eh: It doesn't peak above the treeline until roughly 90 minutes after the day begins.

morning time is when I like it best...

the other time I like is tennish (late enough for the bugs to have gone away), on the nights where it's still real warm out there, same thing, coffee, lawnchair, listening to the quiet and the crickets,

and the odd creepy rustle from the bushes.

leslie said:
(late enough for the bugs to have gone away),
the bugs never go away here, they lie in wait all night until you dare to leave the safety of a screen ed area then they swarm

Kickin' the soccer ball 'round the yard with my children.

Tryin' to prove to my boys that their old man CAN do that skateboard thing.

Takin' our family to the park for walks an' some black an' white photo shoots.

Climbin' inside the rack of my '75 Renegade Jeep, topless beneath the warm rays of sunshine, smilin' laughin' an' jus' bein' together makin' memories that will last our lifetimes!:)

Walking through the bluebell woods, going to our secret picnic area at Arlesford, walking across the salt marshes when the tide is out.... things we can't do much now because there's no wheelchair access.... sitting out in the garden for tea, strolling on the promanade above the beach, enjoying a walk through Highwoods Country Park.... :)

tommyj27 said:
i'm not a winter person, which sucks because i live in a frigid icebox better known as minnesota. last week was relatively warm and i a had a wonderful time, went running outside and the whole bit. but now that the temperature is dropping and there's snow in the air my energy has just dropped. i want to go biking and toss a frisbee around with my brother. i want to sit in a screen porch with my buds and watch a summer thunderstorm roll. most of all, i NEED to climb outside.

random thought, all you peeps in the frigid north, what are you looking forward to doing once it warms up?

I live in Minnesota too, I hate this weather :crying3:
But, that means I get to spend my time in a warm apartment in front of my computer :headbang:

75renegade said:
Tryin' to prove to my boys that their old man CAN do that skateboard thing.

I did that a couple weeks ago. The bruises are just starting to go away.

i think that's just a bad thing to try and prove in general, something about balance and the hard pavement :lol:

I could do ollies and kick-flips when I was 18. Guess 15 years does something to coordination.

I had one of those when I was a kid too. About 3" wide. The kids skateboard has room for two to sit on it.

The metal wheels made it much trickier to control....I made mine from a piece of teak. Had a lot of fun on that thing....

I prefer inline skates. But I haven't skated since my knees have been giving me trouble. Christ, I even went to classes at the local rink just to prove a 42 year-old mum can do it. :rolleyes:

Still got my boots in the cupboard though ~ 1 pair indoor, 1 pair outdoor ~ maybe when I've lost some weight and the knees are better I'll get back on them.

I rollerskated all the time in my younger years but I didn't like that the brake was on the back of inline skates. I only went on them a few times and gave them away.

I taught Rusty how to ice skate this winter, that was fun. :)

I can't wait till I can walk out of work at 5:30, have it still be light out, and drive home with the windows open past all the beaches, the water, the sunset.

Back