The world's worst wrong turn

Who the fuck spends 25 years of her life without learning the local language? She must be stupid too.

Don't say illegal immigrants in the US 'cause at least they are able to communicate with each other ;)

It's a matter of not wanting to or making an effort to learn the language. I know too many people who've lived here for over 25 years and don't know the language.

Who the fuck spends 25 years of her life without learning the local language? She must be stupid too.

Illegal immigrants in the US 'cause they aren't able to communicate with the resident population, and refuse to learn. ;)

:lol:

There goes the fine print, just so you don't have an accident Gato, you're not supposed to use the hairdryer while still in the tub/shower ;)

In all seriousness. A friend of mine's mother is Greek...moved here 40 years ago. She can't speak French at all, and her English will suit her enough to tell people that she can't speak English. Doesn't bother her though...her grocer is greek, her doctor is greek, her neighbours are greek etc...

Went to a family reunion in '99 and the oldest family member was 94 and only spoke russian even though she had lived in Canada most of her life.

My ex-Mother in Law has been here in Canada for 42 years and she can hardly speak any english... she's Italian.

I think the Thai woman just didn't wanna go home. OR... her elevator doesn't reach the top floor.

Spirit said:
I think the Thai woman just didn't wanna go home.
Well she wasn't exactly living the good life.

There she ended up as a beggar for five years, until she was sent to a homeless shelter in the central Thai province of Phitsanulok in 1987.

"I thought I would die in Phitsanulok. I thought about running away many times, but then I worried I would not be able to make it home.

Albuquerque.

The illegals in the US can speak English-when they want something. However, ask them to show you their green card & they clam up.

Thanks...I'll remember that the next time I'm in Mexico and need to get back into the USA. I'm sure there's a tunnel around there somewhere ;)

The legals in the US can speak English too when they want something....

**Up here, it's used as a weapon of sorts. To be in business, you have to be able to speak both French and English, except if you're just a local-only store. But get someone in from Ontario over who rubs the store owner the wrong way and suddenly, the owner forgets how to speak English. :shrug: Happens to American tourists all the time.

I used to work in hotels and once heard some guy on Ste-Catherine street (main downtown street) screaming "Is there anyone in this fuckin' town that can speak English?" - He was in Montreal. 80%+ speak English just fine, thanks. He must've really pissed off a bunch of people to not find anyone who would speak with him in English. :D

Thanks...I'll remember that the next time I'm in Mexico and need to get back into the USA. I'm sure there's a tunnel around there somewhere ;)

The legals in the US can speak English too when they want something....

**Up here, it's used as a weapon of sorts. To be in business, you have to be able to speak both French and English, except if you're just a local-only store. But get someone in from Ontario over who rubs the store owner the wrong way and suddenly, the owner forgets how to speak English. :shrug: Happens to American tourists all the time.

I used to work in hotels and once heard some guy on Ste-Catherine street (main downtown street) screaming "Is there anyone in this fuckin' town that can speak English?" - He was in Montreal. 80%+ speak English just fine, thanks. He must've really pissed off a bunch of people to not find anyone who would speak with him in English. :D

Only 80%! Mon Dieu! Pauvre Canadiennes! ;)

Well nobody knew her dialect and I doubt she could read (not everyone has the benefit of an education), so how could they tell her what things were and make her understand? After all who cares about dirty old beggers when they're just scraping by themselves?

Back