This day in history.....

December 6th

1776: Phi Beta Kappa, the first collegiate fraternity, is founded at William and Mary College in Williamsburg, Virginia.

1933: The 21st Amendment to the Constitution of the United States ends Prohibition.

1955: The American Federation of Labor and Congress of Industrial Organizations (AFL-CIO), a federation of autonomous trade unions in the United States, Canada, and Mexico, is formed.

1955: The Montgomery bus boycott begins. Planned in part by Martin Luther King, Jr., the boycott is a protest against the city's segregation laws, following the arrest of NAACP secretary Rosa Parks.

Mare said:
December 6th

1776: Phi Beta Kappa, the first collegiate fraternity, is founded at William and Mary College in Williamsburg, Virginia.

Psst...Mare..today's the 5th...

December 7, 1776: The first batch of date rape charges associated with a fraternity are filed against Phi Beta Kappa by the first sorority, Tappa Kegga Brew. The charges are, of course, ignored.

PROHIBITION ENDS:
December 5, 1933

The 21st Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is ratified, repealing the 18th Amendment and bringing an end to the era of national prohibition of alcohol in America. At 5:32 p.m. EST, Utah became the 36th state to ratify the amendment, achieving the requisite three-fourths majority of states' approval. Pennsylvania and Ohio had ratified it earlier in the day.

The movement for the prohibition of alcohol began in the early 19th century, when Americans concerned about the adverse effects of drinking began forming temperance societies. By the late 19th century, these groups had become a powerful political force, campaigning on the state level and calling for national liquor abstinence. Several states outlawed the manufacture or sale of alcohol within their own borders. In December 1917, the 18th Amendment, prohibiting the "manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors for beverage purposes," was passed by Congress and sent to the states for ratification. On January 29, 1919, the 18th Amendment achieved the necessary three-fourths majority of state ratification. Prohibition essentially began in June of that year, but the amendment did not officially take effect until January 29, 1920.

:toast:

December 6th

1907: In West Virginia, an explosion kills 361 coal miners.

1917: A French munitions ship explodes after colliding with another vessel in the harbor of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Over a thousand are killed.

1921: The Irish Free State, composing four-fifths of Ireland, is declared as part of a peace agreement with Great Britain.

1922: General Electric's Utica Gas and Electric Company plant becomes the first commercial carrier of electricity.

1941: The Manhattan Project is formed in Chicago, Illinois, and Los Angeles, California. Its aim is to develop an atomic bomb.

1973: Gerald R. Ford is sworn in as vice president.

Marc Lepine kills 14 women at Ecole Polytechnic, University of Montreal, and injures 15 others. It is the worst mass murder in Canadian history. On him is a suicide letter explaining his actions as being specific revenge against 19 "feminists who have ruined my life... I have decided to put an end to those viragos."

Mare said:
December 6th

1907: In West Virginia, an explosion kills 361 coal miners.

1917: A French munitions ship explodes after colliding with another vessel in the harbor of Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Over a thousand are killed.

1921: The Irish Free State, composing four-fifths of Ireland, is declared as part of a peace agreement with Great Britain.

1922: General Electric's Utica Gas and Electric Company plant becomes the first commercial carrier of electricity.

1941: The Manhattan Project is formed in Chicago, Illinois, and Los Angeles, California. Its aim is to develop an atomic bomb.

1973: Gerald R. Ford is sworn in as vice president.

1956: Randy Rhoads, who some (present company chief among them) consider the greatest rock musician to ever live, was born.

My question was actually meant to disparage his guitar-playing, and not an attempt to name a group he's been in. I may not know metal, but I have enough sense to google before I respond if I don't know the guy. :p

Gato_Solo said:
My question was actually meant to disparage his guitar-playing,

That you can never accomplish. He put 'em all to shame. Had he lived, Lord only knows what he could have achieved.

Only the good die young, and he died wwaaayyyyyy too young.

SouthernN'Proud said:
That you can never accomplish. He put 'em all to shame. Had he lived, Lord only knows what he could have achieved.

Better than Jimmie Hendriks? I doubt it.

It's Jimi. And Hendrix.

And tastes/opinions vary. To my ear, he was the greatest rock musician ever. Hands down. Bar none.

SouthernN'Proud said:

So did Jimi...without having to resort to singing "We're not gonna take it"...:rofl:

That was Twisted Sister, not Quiet Riot.

Randy's recordings with QR have never been legally released in the US. His only recorded mass released work is on three Ozzy Osbourne LPs. Diary Of A Madman, Blizzard Of Ozz, and Tribute.

Again, tastes vary. I choose to memorialize the man. Do as you like. I've heard, quite literally, thousands of guitarists. None have even come close to him to my ear.

Jimi was an inovator, had great ideas and went with them.

Rhodes was an amazing technical guitarist, very clean notes, could play heavy metal and classical.

while they both played guitar, they plaed it diffrent, and you can't really compare them.

It is like comparing steve vai and BB King, king is a great blues guitarist, but can't really even play a cord, while vai is great technically, butI find he has no real....soul

December 7th

1732: The Covent Garden Theatre opens in London, England.

1787: Delaware is the first state to ratify the Constitution.

1917: The United States declares war on Austria-Hungary.

1941: The Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

1972: Apollo 17, the sixth and last of the Apollo landing missions, is successfully launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida.

December 8th

1644: Queen Christina, at the age of 18, becomes the active ruler of Sweden. She pursues a policy aimed at peace in Europe rather than territorial expansion and national aggrandizement.

1886: The American Federation of Labor (AFL) is founded.

1929: The first ship-to-shore mobile telephone commercial service is launched.

1940: The German air force attacks London in the Battle of Britain.

1941: The day after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the U.S. Congress passes a declaration of war against Japan, and the United States formally enters World War II.

1987: At a summit meeting in Washington, D.C., U.S. President Ronald Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev sign the first treaty to reduce the nuclear arsenals of both countries.

Back