This guys got a lot of nerve

Send a paper invoice.

Accept only cheques as payment.
50% up front...50% at delivery. Open a seperate bank account to hold the 50% deposit. Only touch the money when the client is satisfied.

That's the freelancers credo. Learn it, live it, love it!

It's what I do and I don't get fucked over... hell, I've walked away with my 50% deposit because they broke contract before I had started the work. Seems that they decided to let the owners nephew do the work instead of hiring me.

* on a side note, they contacted me a year later to see if I could fix what the nephew had done. Hehehehahahah.!

PayPal is very convenient, especially on tight deadlines. I always get a 50% on any significant project.

The problem with PayPal is that I upgraded my account so I could take credit card payments which has been very handy for the most part.

It does open you up to people claiming "unauthorised transaction" and taking money back though. PayPal is not setup to help you much in this situation if the payment was for a service. They're geared for protecting Ebay sellers where yoi could simply provide a tracking/confirmation# and prove that buyer recieved the item you shipped.

instead of putting time and energy into bitching over people ripping you off, you might want to put that energy into looking into why and how people are able to rip you off... :shrug: just a suggestion

nalani said:
instead of putting time and energy into bitching over people ripping you off, you might want to put that energy into looking into why and how people are able to rip you off... :shrug: just a suggestion
How I thought I had described pretty clearly in my posts.....why I looked into and it's just because sometimes you run into dishonest people. It's bound to happen and you just can't let it make you distrust everyone.

One needn't distrust everyone. They just give smaller amounts of it until more is earned.

Gonz said:
One needn't distrust everyone. They just give smaller amounts of it until more is earned.
No, they don't get any until they earn it. I'm reasonably intelligent. When life teaches me a lesson, I learn it.

Interestingly, there are people I really barely know that I know I can trust and members of my immediate family that I know I cannot. I wonder whether or not these circumstances apply to everyone?

Back