This may sound racist but where do black Americans come up with names?

markjs

Banned
I don't just mean all the weird sounding ones like (spelling?) shineequa, or things like that but there is this guy who plays baseball for the Aneheim Angels named Chone Figgins, and his name is pronounced like Sean or Shawn.....I knew another black girl in school named Shithead...I kid you not it was spelled shit-head, but it was supposed to be pronounced shi-theed....sorry I just had to ask...they always say "it's African" but I don't buy that in many cases....

Re: This ma ysound racist but where do black Americans come up with names?

markjs said:
I don't just mean all the weird sounding ones like (spelling?) shineequa, or things like that but there is this guy who playes Baseball for the Aneheim Angels named Chone Figgins, and his name is pronounced like Sean or Shawn.....I knew another black girl in school named Shithead...I kid you not it was spelled shit-head, but it was supposed to be pronounced shi-theed....sorry I just had to ask...they always say "it's African" but I don't buy that in many cases....

Most Americans can't pronounce names of any other culture accept their own (some even fail to correctly pronounce even most basic of American names)...not another society's or culture's fault.

Buttcrackdivine said:
Most Americans can't pronounce names of any other culture accept their own (some even fail to correctly pronounce even most basic of American names)...not another society's or culture's fault.

I am talking about Black Americans...not black Africans...I am not really condemning the way they name their children...I am just kind amused by it...

markjs said:
I don't just mean all the weird sounding ones like (spelling?) shineequa, or things like that but there is this guy who playes Baseball for the Aneheim Angels named Chone Figgins, and his name is pronounced like Sean or Shawn.....I knew another black girl in school named Shithead...I kid you not it was spelled shit-head, but it was supposed to be pronounced shi-theed....sorry I just had to ask...they always say "it's African" but I don't buy that in many cases....

Some names Ive heard:

Cash Money

(In the same familY) Charhonda, Chartoyota, and Charnissan (glad they didnt have another...Charmazda would have just sounded dumb).

ABCD Pronounced "Abissidy" Im glad this lady didnt have another one...what were they going to name it? 1234?

I used to know a bunch of these but Im pretty tired right now....maybe Ill check in and add some more tomorrow.

Oh but I did go to high school with a withe guy named
"Augustus de Gaydick" And another named "Eric Faggart"

In the case of Chone Figgins why not name him Sean Figgins and save trouble?

Another funny one is I knew this really mentally slow white trash lady who named her son Gerald and pronounces it gare-ald.

markjs said:
I am talking about Black Americans...not black Africans...I am not really condemning the way they name their children...I am just kind amused by it...

I included culture in my post didn't i?. Black American culture is different from White culture and the way they name their kids is different that's all...just variety..and as usual most Americans fail to pronounce it as do other nations fail to pronounce American names. I can't say most Russain last names if my life depended on it.

bleach said:
What's in a name :confused: :confused:

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet...and die out just as fast.

Buttcrackdivine said:
A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet...and die out just as fast.

Exactly........a name either respects an hereditory tradition or makes a statement.

bleach said:
Exactly........a name either respects an hereditory tradition or makes a statement.

I read a wonderful quote by a 18th century auhtor who made a bold statement that his name was just a label, so he could be identified by the world around him..he went on to say his name is nothing more than a label....his name does not define him..he defines himself. A name to him was a prison that stopped the world from getting to know the real him because after hearing his name they just turned away.

Oh man guys I started the topic so we could hear all the funny insane names....not so we could wax philisophical about the meaning of names....LOL

"wax philisophical" is an old saying that means to converse about and build on philisophical points

It should have been obvious given the context though....

markjs said:
Oh man guys I started the topic so we could hear all the funny insane names....not so we could wax philisophical about the meaning of names....LOL

I would be delighted at such a turnaround on my thread..ususally mine head the opposite way.

markjs said:
"wax philisophical" is an old saying that means to converse about and build on philisophical points

It should have been obvious given the context though....

I always thought wax was something that should be heated up to encourage greasiness............my bad.

Until tonight the best one I've ever heard was "Syphilis" (si-phillus)

As of tonight, it's now shi-theed :rofl3:

tradidtional irish and welsh names can be similar in that they look like impenentrable collections of vowels or consonants but are in fact fairly normal names.

you have to factor in pronunciation into the welsh names though, names like rhys and dewi have particular ways to be pronounced that the english just love to get horribly wrong :D

Buttcrackdivine said:
I read a wonderful quote by a 18th century auhtor who made a bold statement that his name was just a label, so he could be identified by the world around him..he went on to say his name is nothing more than a label....his name does not define him..he defines himself. A name to him was a prison that stopped the world from getting to know the real him because after hearing his name they just turned away.

that really gives a person something to think about...very interesting :)

Buttcrackdivine said:
i like this. people are forever asking me my name...it's tonks. that's what i identify with. tracy is what my mother calls me. when i think of myself, i think of tonks. it baffles me that people insist upon my given name. it's not a secret i keep. it's tracy. i just always thought i was more of a tonks.

Back