Those crazy Baptists...

Jerrek said:
Its an opinion ok? I just don't like his style and there are lots of other books to read ;) An opinion.

Ah! Well, here are some tips on how to express an opinion, as opposed to a fact:

1. If the opinion is something you believe to be a fact, but you know that it might be considered controversial, preface it with a qualifying phrase acknowledging that other people may not accept it as fact:

Example: "It's my opinion that Tolkien's writing style sucks."

2. If you are merely expressing a personal preference, then qualify your statement so that people will know that's what you're doing.

Example: "I don't like Tolkien's writing style. He's too wordy for my taste."

3. If you don't feel you have enough evidence for a factual claim, then point out that you're not completely certain that what you're saying is true.

Example: "I don't know whether it's true or not, but it has long been rumored that Tolkien was C.S. Lewis's boy-toy."

4. If you think that there are no such thing as facts, and that everything is merely a matter of personal opinion, then you are free to make all sorts of outrageous claims while always prefacing your remarks with phrases like "I think" and "imho". If anyone calls you on it, just point out that you were merely expressing a personal opinion.

Example: "I think that Tolkien was a fudge-packing sodomite with the writing style of a pre-adolescent girl, but that's just my opinion."

Example: "I think that Tolkien was a fudge-packing sodomite with the writing style of a pre-adolescent girl, but that's just my opinion."

:rofl:

good read on using arguements to make your opinion clear, ards :D

Back