Tim Hortons is sexist!

MrBishop

To whom this may concern,

I am writing to you today to lay a complaint against what seems to be a
widespread sexual discrimination issue with your otherwise fine restaurants.

This past weekend (August 6-8, 2004) I was travelling from Montreal,
Quebec to Petawawa, Ontario and stopped in your restaurants 4 times while in transit and 3 times whilst in Petawawa. Something became evident which had never really occured to me before regarding your restaurants. I happened to be travelling with my 2 year old son and had to stop to change his diaper.

Taking the opportunity to get a coffee in Renfrew, Ontario while I was
stopping, I went into the men's bathroom to change my son. Imagine my
surprise when I found that there were no change tables there. I asked a cashier if there were any elsewhere and I was told "No, sir".

I had to go to my minivan and change my son on the passenger seat with
the door open. In case you were not familiar with the weather that weekend, it was cold.

After this was over, I went back into the restaurant to complain to the
manager and was told that the cashier was wrong. There was indeed a change table...but situated ONLY in the women's bathroom.

Since that time, I have gone into 5 more Tim Horton's restaurants
(Casselman, Petawawa, Montreal, Greenfield Park and St.Lambert) and have found the same thing.

It angers me to no end that in the 21st century, a restaurant that is
as reputeable as Tim Hortons should use outdated and blatantly sexist
beliefs when planning the layout of its restaurants.

I have no intention of stopping my purchases of coffee from your
restaurants but I would appreciate a list of restaurants which feature
diaper-change tables in both bathrooms, at least for the Ontario and Quebec regions, if such a list exists.

Thank you.

OK. This ticked me off.
Comments?

I remember when the changing tables started appearing in mens restrooms. I made a comment to my wife about it. She looked at me like I was stupid and informed me that they had been in the womens restrooms for going on five years or so. Yep, you have a right to be ticked off.

Depending on the place...they're fairly comman here too. McD's and BK and Harvey's has them.

That being said...Timmy's is a "As Canadian as..." kinda place. That's what threw me off the most.

I've been known to change my son on a table in a restaurant that didn't offer change tables at all...just to prove my point. Timmy's tables are pretty friggin small for a 3' tall 2 year old kid though. Shame really....he'd really filled his diaper and the smell alone could've really punctuated my point :D

Are theses older Timmy's restaurants ,I could see it being difficult to retrofit a Changetable into those tiny Bathrooms ,but if the Newer Timmys aren't being fitted with them then they're doing something wrong.Most of the Tim Hortons out here are quite small with limited seating so realstate inside is at quite a premium.I may have to visit the restrooms of a few ,I've already been in most ,but not having kids have never thought to look for them.

A.B.Normal said:
Are theses older Timmy's restaurants ,I could see it being difficult to retrofit a Changetable into those tiny Bathrooms ,but if the Newer Timmys aren't being fitted with them then they're doing something wrong.Most of the Tim Hortons out here are quite small with limited seating so realstate inside is at quite a premium.I may have to visit the restrooms of a few ,I've already been in most ,but not having kids have never thought to look for them.

This one was fairly new...the area around it was still being built up.
Change-tables don't take up all that much space. They're usually wall-hanging, and take up about 3" of wall space (depth) and close up when not in use.

CHANGESTNSTEEL.jpg

Koala makes the best.

3 kids later, I have never in their lives used a public change table :shrug:

Put my babies on an e-coli smeared something that every Tom Dick and Harry has had their 'infested with god knows what disease' children on? fuck that action.

*has public restroom issues*

Just another thing that we haven't needed & now we can't live without them. :rolleyes: The world is one huge changing table.

Gonz - what would you prefer? That parents change diapers in bathrooms or on the table-top that you might be eating at 20 minutes after the parents have left?

Personally...I'd have change my son on a table-top if it had been winter time... mind you, I would've changed tables for eating afterwards. :p

Does it have to be the table top? I'd never have even considered that. What's wrong with changing 'em on the seat next to you? Or on the floor? Or in the car? Or....

Mine have always been changed in the car. Then we could enjoy the continuing fun of cleaning up the grain should the diaper have exploded. Summer, winter, never made that much difference.

But if they had one in the woman's washroom, why didn't you just use that one?

Professur said:
Mine have always been changed in the car. Then we could enjoy the continuing fun of cleaning up the grain should the diaper have exploded. Summer, winter, never made that much difference.

But if they had one in the woman's washroom, why didn't you just use that one?
Because I was told that such a thing existed after I'd been told that there was none in the whole Timmy's and I had already change JAG in the car. It was only when I complained to the manager that I was told that a change table existed but ONLY in the women's bathroom.

Gonz said:
Does it have to be the table top? I'd never have even considered that. What's wrong with changing 'em on the seat next to you? Or on the floor? Or in the car? Or....
No benches...only chairs with a surface slightly larger than a serving plate...my kid's 3 feet tall... an Impossible mission. The floor? Sure...put my kid on the floor with me kneeling in between tables and chairs with people trying to walk around me??! C'mon!

I did change him in the car. Normally, this wouldn't have been an issue, but all available space was used up except for the passenger's seat... which meant that I had to keep the door open. That's fine in the middle of summer, but try that in -30cel. weather...not too easy.

** Look...the whole point wasn't that I demand that all restaurants have change tables...that's patently ridiculous. The point is that if you're going to go through the trouble of putting changing tables up in your bathrooms, why are you doing it in ONLY women's bathrooms?? THAT is the issue...and that's why it's a sexist thing to do...you're assuming that the only people who are responsable for taking care of kids are women.

In this day and age, where full-custody cases result in the men getting custody 50% of the time instead of a few years ago where women got it nearly 80% of the time, and where men are picking up the slack in taking care of their kids in relationships...that this kind of assumption wouldn't happen.**

Professur said:
**Nonsense. They put them in the ladies because the ladies is almost always larger than the mens.**

Like I said before...they don't take up all that much space. Hell, I've been in men's bathrooms with change tables in them and barely noticed that they were there. I was thankful that they were though, come changing time.

Back