Today is 9/10 - what're you doing tomorrow?

PuterTutor said:
Nah, just shows the Uk is moving on a little better. Not that that's a bad thing. I still feel weak when I think about that morning, It's our generations Kennedy.

I think its more the British way actually...

Stiff upper lip and all that...

ClaireBear said:
I think its more the British way actually...

Stiff upper lip and all that...

Maybe.....but I doubt the anniversary of terrorist attacks here get much of a mention on international news. That isn't a criticism or an accusation of "uncaring", just the way it is :shrug:

Stiff upper lip...make sense...until Buckingham Palace comes down. When it's not yours the magnitude of the situation is less. Which makes perfect sense.

Oz said:
Maybe.....but I doubt the anniversary of terrorist attacks here get much of a mention on international news. That isn't a criticism or an accusation of "uncaring", just the way it is :shrug:

You're wrong, it's on the news everywhere, but since it wasn't on their/our soil it really doesn't matter that much. A thought about it is as much as it would get.

Gonz said:
Stiff upper lip...make sense...until Buckingham Palace comes down. When it's not yours the magnitude of the situation is less. Which makes perfect sense.

Gonz... only a minority of Brits give a s**t about that bunch of inbred leeches anyway... Role on a republic!

Luis G said:
You're wrong, it's on the news everywhere, but since it wasn't on their/our soil it really doesn't matter that much. A thought about it is as much as it would get.

Luis... you live in a country physically connected to the country where it happened of course it'll be on your news!!!!! :rolleyes:

Our countries may be connected, but our minds are always elsewhere. We may see eye to eye on many a thing, but we treat each other like estranged cousins. Mexicans by and large have a greater understanding of the US than Americans know of Mexico... but its still smallish percentages. At least from my local and international news sources you wouldn't know much of anything about them.

Gonz said:

Ineed, Can you, or any other foreign national give the date and time of the Brighton Bombing or the Lockerbie disaster off the top of your head? :shrug:

I guess not, it just don't get the media attention.

Luis: I think you misunderstood me.....I meant "here" as terrorist attacks that have occured on UK territory and the anniversary of those occurances, as the two incidences mentioned above.

Oz said:
Ineed, Can you, or any other foreign national give the date and time of the Brighton Bombing or the Lockerbie disaster off the top of your head? :shrug:

I guess not, it just don't get the media attention.

Luis: I think you misunderstood me.....I meant "here" as terrorist attacks that have occured on UK territory and the anniversary of those occurances, as the two incidences mentioned above.

Brighton - 1984 *I remember one of my Profs talking about it when it happened. I think that it was an attemped assasination of the PM and the cabinet...but it's a bit blurry now. IRA was it?

The Lockerbie one...I'm less familiar with the dates...but the Americans should really be more familiar with it. It was an American airplane blown up over Scotland.

I looked this up on Google.
The crash of Pan Am Flight 103 remains Britain's largest mass murder. One man has been convicted of the crime. He is Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi, a 49-year-old Libyan, who is in solitary confinement in Glasgow's Barlinnie jail serving a life sentence for planting a bomb on the plane.

Relatives of the victims criticised the verdict, describing al Megrahi as "the joker in the pack" of a game of international politics allegedly leading to the door of the Libyan leader, Colonel Gaddafi. Conspiracy theorists are convinced that other Arab nations were involved in the crime. Accusations have been levelled at the late militant Palestinian guerrilla leader, Abu Nidal. Many people conclude that the terrorist leaders who masterminded the crime remain unnamed and unpunished.

Oz,
The same can be said for a lot of other international incidents. It affect the country directly involved more than any other. 9/11 happened to be a BIG example and more 'memorable' because of it.

Hell...I doubt that anyone on here would remember the "October crisis' in Quebec. It was really big here though...especially the useage of the "War Measures Act" outside of times of war was a VERY big thing!

Back