today's tour in my city, pics inside

Whoa... thats pretty high... higher than Denver. I think Denver is in the 1750m range. It must cool quickly at night.

unclehobart said:
Whoa... thats pretty high... higher than Denver. I think Denver is in the 1750m range. It must cool quickly at night.

Pretty high, but not that high, Toluca is 2,680m above sea level. On winters they get some snow.

There are a lot of mountains in Mexico, that explains the high altitudes (more info search for sierra madre occidental and sierra madre oriental).

The highest altitude that I ever spent the night in was at 1970m. My hometown is at about 360m of elevation. The oxygen and pressure differences gave me some brutal headaches. I'm only comfortable at about 1700m or so without need ing time to get used to it.

It happens to me, but on the exact opposite, i don't get headaches, but it takes me about 2 days to get used to the pressure at sea level.

I feel so much air that i find it difficult to breathe.

I didn't forget Luis. :)

I wanted to know if you used photoshop on any of these pictures and if you were altering the f-stops on the camera as you were taking the pictures or if the light exposure is manual?

I ask because in some pictures (especially the first one), the colors look a little 'too' vibrant. The stark difference between the purple in the tree and the green of the hedges is startling. I noticed it's also cloudy which tends to make colors look more vibrant rather than washed out by sun.

Some of the other pictures look a little too dark also, possibly because of a change in the cloud cover or a different light exposure setting? It all depends on whether the camera was set to auto or not.

I'll be more specific, I just wanted to know if you altered these pics at all in the computer or if you were using manual settings on the camera...

I didn't alter the pictures at all, well, just the resize to be able to post them here.

As for the first shot, and only that one, i selected the "cloudy white balance", but on the rest of the pics everything was set like this:

Exposure value: 0
Resolution: 1280x960
White Balance: Auto
Focus: Multi AF
Sharpness: 0
ISO: auto
Quality: fine
No flash and all effects off.

Also, it is kinda tricky to do set everything to manual or adjust the flash power, 'cause the brightness of the lcs is too high and dark pics appear nice.

You lost me.

I thought we were talking about a good old 35mm camera, I didn't realize you had digital. There's not really much to say about the pictures unless you can start playing with f-stops, depth of field, light metering... Can you change f stops on your camera?

Boy, you even leave it on auto-focus huh? Lazy boy. ;)

:), i guess i was too ambiguous when i asked your opinion, the thing that i'm always trying to improve is what i shot at, i remember your old sig: "a camera is machine that teaches you to see without a camera" (or something like that).

But is just that i can't seem to capture what i see, apparently i appreciate things in certain way but the pics can not capture that.

Have you ever seen "Dead Poets Society" with Robin Williams? He teaches them to see things from a different perspective. There's a memorable scene where they're all standing on top of their desks. The view looks different from up there.

That's what I always think of. So I get down low, lay on the ground, lay on my back, lay the camera against a wall... Things like that to get a different shot than the first 10,000 people who took a picture of the same thing. :)

Oh and the quote in my sig was from Dorothea Lange and it was: The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." Meaning, once you really start getting into photography, you see everything in a different light-you notice more than you did before. It's cool. :)

This is one of her most memorable pictures from the Great Depression:

8b29516r.jpg

Ohh yeah, i've seen the dead poets society, a long time ago thou.

A few years ago, something happened to the way i appreciate things, it is way too different than before, just to put an example, i used to see a tree with their leafs and colours and all that, now i see life and beautiness growing within the space, hosting many other living forms completing a endless and perfect cycle in the nature.

I wish i could capture that with a pic so everybody would feel what felt when i looked at it. Kinda hard to accomplish i guess.

Pretty nice picture you posted gf, it almost looks like a painting.

Okay, Luis. Since you asked for critiques...

My main critique is this...

Donde eres las mujeres bonita? :D

I know exactly what you mean Luis. To see it yourself and appreciate it is one thing but to take pictures that invoke that in others is harder.

I'm much more observant of things since I took on some new hobbies. Gardening makes me appreciate all forms of plant life and notice their growing habits, the ways some trees are budding right now and some aren't, what can take the cold and what can't... Feeding the birds in my area got me noticing the personality differences in birds, which ones are more agressive, which ones visit at different times of year, seeing birds that you don't normally see here (like the red bellied woodpecker I was surprised to see the other day). And Photography just makes you notice everything, the beauty in mundane things. Something you have seen every day for years suddenly becomes interesting. Or something that looks plain becomes spectacular when you take the time to come really close and study it.

I'm rambling, sorry. :) Don't get me started!! :D

Back