TV ban on adverts for cheese, the latest 'junk food'

add a few dashes of Lea and Perrins World famous Worcestershire sauce when grilled to perfection .

...mmmmmmmmmmmm....

Ooooh, I was reading an article in a food magazine and they were saying that if you mix grated parmesan with the butter you spread on the bread it makes for a yummy grilled cheese. I am so going to try it.

I like putting a slice or 2 of thick bacon in my grilled cheese.

I am going to try the parmesian.

Perfect timing --- found at MSNBC today

Wichcraft Grilled cheddar with smoked ham, pear and mustard on cranberry-pecan bread A complicated medley of flavors make this grilled cheese a meal in your hand.

8 Slices good quality cranberry-pecan bread
10 oz sharp Vermont cheddar, (8 slices)
8 thick slices (1/8 of an inch) of good quality smoked ham (such as Jambon Royale from Niman Ranch, available through D’artagnan)
6 oz poached pears (see below)
Dijon mustard
Fresh ground black pepper
Poached pears:
Yield: about 1-½ pounds

2 pears
2/3-cup sugar
2/3-cup cider vinegar
2/3-cup water
1 piece star anise
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
2 ea cloves
Pinch of dried hot pepper, such as ground pepperoncino, cayenne, or red chilis
½ cinnamon stick
Combine all ingredients, except for pears, in a pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Peel and core the pears, slice at about 1/8 of an inch. Add the pears to the liquid and simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove from the heat and cool in the liquid.

To assemble the sandwiches:

1. Lay four of the slices on a board and place a slice of cheese on each one. Lay two slices of the ham on each sandwich

2. Remove pears from the poaching liquid, being careful to leave the spices behind. Allow it to drip so the bread stays dry

3. Lay the pears over the ham

4. Grind fresh pepper over the pears and cover with remaining cheese slices.

5. Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard to the top slice of bread and place on top of the sandwich

6. Grill the sandwiches on a hot Panini grill; no oil or butter is necessary. If you don’t have a grill you can cook them on a hot sauté pan, brush the bread with a little olive oil, cook the first side on the top range, flip it and finish in the oven until the cheese is thoroughly melted

Tracie McMillan is a Brooklyn-based writer who covers food and social issues.

© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

add a few dashes of Lea and Perrins World famous Worcestershire sauce when grilled to perfection .

...mmmmmmmmmmmm....

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

lea and perrins is for meat and potatoes...

No...Worchestershire sauce is a key ingredient in all kinds of cooking...I sure missing being able to use it. I have yet to find a suitable substitute.

We found this stuff called pick-a-peppa but it's wrong....but if you mix it with a dark vinegar it almost passes.

Back