TV Troubles

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Hubby and I went and bought a TV at an auction yesterday - we viewed it and it worked great. We get it home and now there is something wrong with the picture. :grumpy:

I think it might be because it sat next to our speakers for about an hour or so while we rearranged our livingroom to fit this TV in. I know that when these speakers were too close to the other TV, the same thing would happen but typically it went away after about an hour or so.

It's been 17 hours now and the change has been slight, but it's still discolored.

Anyone know if there's a way to fix that?

Sharky

Try turning it off and then back on. Most TVs have an automatic screen degauss upon power-up. That might clear it up.

highwayman

Try turning it off and then back on. Most TVs have an automatic screen degauss upon power-up. That might clear it up.

You might want to take this a step further and disconnect the power for a short time, I am thinking 30 minutes, then hook it back up and see if the problem is gone...

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
The link Sharky provided lead me places that gave good info. (Thanks).

Ya - I read that I should try a couple of cycles of turning it on for 1 min then off (unplug) for 20 mins etc... I am in the middle of my first cycle - we'll see what happens!

chcr

Too cute for words
Yup. The thing to remember is that when you turn off your TV it doesn't really turn off, it goes into stand-by mode (so when you turn it on it comes on more quickly). You have to unplug it long enough for the power to drain out of the HOT (high output transistor) to affect the picture tube, usually. Depends on the TV when or how it degauss's itself, but just about all of them do it. Some even have a manual degauss button (usually on the back).

Edit: If all else fails, any TV shop will degauss it for you inexpensively. If that's not all that's wrong with it, they may be able to tell you right off hand what is.

BB

just me ..but i thought this might be something to do with A.B. Normal !!!

(just the name and the AV, mate! :D )

best, BB

Sharky

The link Sharky provided lead me places that gave good info. (Thanks).

Ya - I read that I should try a couple of cycles of turning it on for 1 min then off (unplug) for 20 mins etc... I am in the middle of my first cycle - we'll see what happens!

I thought the power drill and magnet trick was very Tool Time-ish. :D

[Tim Taylor] Raaaarh! Raaaarh! Raaaaarh!!!! [/Tim Taylor]

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
The speakers are 3 ft away - so that should be enough space... shouldn't it?

I tried the cycles and it's still there.

I'm not too happy about this!

BB

so ..tech debate ...we've tried the ol 'turn it off and on again' ...

tried thumpin' the motha Fonz style? ( ...wear a leather jacket ...)

(DOES sometimes work!)

chcr

Too cute for words
You might have to degauss it... which may require a pro tool. $$

A shop will usually do it for a fraction of the cost of the tool. Ask around, folks'll know the shops that are reputable. A mom and pop type shop is usually best, IMO.

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Ya - I'll have to call aroud tomorrow I guess. The TV weighs 216lbs. I'll have a tech come over :)

Inkara1

I've been able to move a big magnet close to a screen before and kinda play with it to re-arrange the colored spot.

unclehobart

A shop will usually do it for a fraction of the cost of the tool. Ask around, folks'll know the shops that are reputable. A mom and pop type shop is usually best, IMO.
I haven't seen a mom and pop tv shop since.. I don't know when.

rrfield

I've been able to move a big magnet close to a screen before and kinda play with it to re-arrange the colored spot.

yeah, i got pretty good at that too. It happens when you grow up with speakers all around you (dad is a speaker engineer)