Twat

Jeslek

Banned
I just had someone translate it to American English for me. NOW all of those jokes make sense! :rofl2:

if i remember right it is something like cunt, but not that offensive.

i've learnt so many things from Leslie, ris and Justin, but learning that stuff is just Pete Tong :D

Actually, a twat might be a vagina, but the term is more often used to describe a person than a body part. A female person. The male equivilant would be a prat.

It's more insulting. It's like calling a man a cunt. Or, more precisely, saying he's as dumb as a dumb woman. Calling someone that in a pub is a quick way to leave without paying your tab.

I've never heard it here, unless someones called me that, and I just don't know it. :hmm:

things have changed a bit now prof, its now a lighter insult used by everyone. generally a word used for idiot that won't get you too badly beaten.

same thing happened with berk - once an insult that would get you mashed up easily and now seen on tv programmes every day of the week.

its not related to twit in its origins but its not a million miles away in how it is used today.

Luis G said:
if i remember right it is something like cunt, but not that offensive.

nowhere near as offensive - that's pretty much the last bastion of offensivness. the most offensive word in the language even.

twat isn't too bad. more of a "silly" than a "stupid". a somewhat jocular word, although tempered by the adjective you pair it with. generally an aspersion on inteligence - but mostly used in the context of friendly banter.

it has added potency in the rare case it's used referring to strangers, but again there's worse expletives.

"you were so drunk you couldn't even see the minger you pulled last night, you twat!"

"the barman shortchanged me, the stupid twat!"

"you look like a right twat with that shirt on"

"i was chatting this bird up until that twat came over and shat all over me" (while pointing at a friend)

"who's the twat in the suit?" (referring to a boorish lout introduced into the group as a friend of a friend)

here, twat is a little more serious...it's almost as bad as calling a guy a *peepwall* goof *peepwall*

Back