Tyson foods caves to Muslims

jimpeel

So are they now going to allow Jews time off for Passover? Yeah. Right.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080808/ap_on_bi_ge/tyson_labor_day

Tyson plant adds Muslim holiday, keeps Labor Day

By ROSE FRENCH, Associated Press Writer
Fri Aug 8, 5:16 PM ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Union workers and officials at a Tyson Foods plant in Tennessee said Friday they have agreed to reinstate Labor Day as a paid holiday, and the plant will also observe the Muslim holiday Eid al-Fitr this year.

Tyson had previously agreed to drop Labor Day and substitute the Muslim holiday as part of a new 5-year contract to accommodate Muslim workers at the plant in Shelbyville, which is about 50 miles south of Nashville. The decision sparked widespread criticism, from local politicians to talk radio to the Internet.

The Springdale, Ark.-based company said it requested reinstating Labor Day after complaints from plant workers and the public.

Union members voted Thursday to reinstate Labor Day as one of the plant's paid holidays and keep Eid al-Fitr as an additional paid holiday for this year only. For the remainder of the contract, workers will have Labor Day and a personal holiday, which can be used to observe Eid al-Fitr or another day the employee's supervisor approves.

Union officials have said at least a couple hundred of the 1,200 plant workers are Muslim.

Eid al-Fitr — which falls on Oct. 1 this year — marks the end of Ramadan, the Muslim holy month of fasting.

[more]

Well if there food is Halal, they have to let people off on that day, Our products are Kosher, and I cannot work on the jewish holidays, or we lose our kosher license.

And it sounds like in the future, they use a personal day for the religious holiday.

Some places I have worked gave us 3 personal days throughout the year to use for religious holidays, if we observed them, or just personal days. That way everyone had the same amount of paid days off, and it was fair to religious and aiethists alike. Again, no problem.

Here I have paid days due to the nature of the business, and I am paid to stay away. (If I, a jew, enters the building on a holy day we can lose our kosher certification)

big deal, jim. it's one day.

and yeah, in a lot of the places i've worked and went to school in, we've gotten certain jewish holidays off, too.

why do you care so much about this? how does it harm you?

Why don't they just give the folks off on their assigned religious holidays? Christians off on Christmas, Jews off on Hanakah, Muslims off on their thing. The aethists can just pick a sect to share off time with. Everybody's happy. Everybody's productive.

How about no days off and only one lump of coal for the stove.

Bah, humbug.

why don't they give all of us all those days off?

after all, as most of us know, time at work and actual productivity aren't necessarily all that correlated.

unless yer doing piece work, i guess, but then you're fucked anyway.

Why don't they just give the folks off on their assigned religious holidays? Christians off on Christmas, Jews off on Hanakah, Muslims off on their thing. The aethists can just pick a sect to share off time with. Everybody's happy. Everybody's productive.

i always thought that would be interesting when you start getting into the pagan holidays... that's at least 8x off per year!

Okay so you'd have to pick your top 2 religious holidays and get all the other non-religion based ones.

Too simple.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

No. I like simple. When I design I use the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle.

The problem is that union hacks are like political hacks. They need things to be convoluted and complicated.

Had they traded for Labor Day, it'd be a crock. However, since many places give Good Friday off, it's a reasonable solution-especially when a majority of your workers are Muslim, as they are at this plant.

Christmas is a national holiday so that was a bad comparison (as usual).

The problem with giving each sect an option is one can change thier mind (and their religion) on a regualr basis or there will be some bullshit obscure scap that is used as an excuse & it'll be hard to regulate your worldforce. The solution would be, personal days.

The solution would be, personal days.

We have 2"floaters" (paid days) ,2 Family/personal days (are unpaid) per year(based on start date).If you know most of your workers are going to be off anyway,it just makes good business sense to shut down that day,rather than have 3/4 of your workforce phoning in with a personal day 1hr before their shifts.

well, for one, that christmas as a holiday is a "given." it's not for a lot of folks. i for one could give two shits about it.

At Wal-Mart -- you know, that place that doesn't have any benefits for their associates -- we get five personal days in addition to the ten days vacation. The only holiday that everyone gets off is Christmas day. Other than that, the store is open 24/7/364. The regular Wal-Marts have different benefits from the Supercenters as they are open for a set number of hours each day.

Back