Tyson foods caves to Muslims

well, for one, that christmas as a holiday is a "given." it's not for a lot of folks. i for one could give two shits about it.

In the United States, Christmas is a federal holiday. You are not required to participate but it is a given that most foks do, in one way or another.

In the United States, Christmas is a federal holiday. You are not required to participate but it is a given that most foks do, in one way or another.

I have yet to see anyone say "I'm not a Christian so I don't want to take Christmas as a holiday."

Here in Canada there are statuatory holidays, you HAVE to get those days off, if you work in a service industry you get time and a half, plus a day off to take at your own discretion. Or you can opt for double time and a half.

Christmas and Good Friday (or easter monday) are some of those days. I get paid for the Jewish holidays because it is my job not to be there those days, most other places it was personal or vacation time I had to use.

One place that was jewish owned, but had 90% Muslim workforce I worked for was closed with pay on the Jewish and Islamic high holidays. The owner figured if we get the christian ones off, we should get those as well.

stop clinging to the current technical and historically arbitrary status of the holiday, and think about it in broader terms, such as... what does it even mean that a christian holiday has been nationalized? hmmmm... maybe we should just nationalize ALL religious holidays. or better yet, arrange so that none of 'em are... no, wait, fuck ideology, let's take all those days off. including cinco de mayo.

Why don't they just give the folks off on their assigned religious holidays? Christians off on Christmas, Jews off on Hanakah, Muslims off on their thing. The aethists can just pick a sect to share off time with. Everybody's happy. Everybody's productive.

here's the thing. Most companies, factories, et al, require a minimum number of employees on site to remain operational. Having more than, say 10% of the staff often results in shutdown, particularly if any disproportionate number of them happen to work the same position. For example. If I should take time off, what does the guy who ships my product do for that day? Zip. If the two guys licensed to operate the forklifts demand the same day off, .... noone gets supplies to do their jobs. If the guys working the loading dock are off, you don't want the production line producing food that's gonna need to be stored for days, and also the truckers don't have anything to haul.

10% is a ballpark figure, but I do know it's very close to reality. That's why many companies with assembly lines require a 'shutdown' during the summer. The alternative would be people trickling in and out all year, and a logistical nightmare where granting vacation times ran into seniority and supply/demand issues. Some key positions are even more severe. They can go as tight as 1%.

But that would mean a separation of church and state.

There's is no such thing. It is not in the Constitution. The court pulled it out of their ass.

Imagine this, though.

The ACLU is okay with the separation clause, that was based on a single letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Church; but they still post on their website that they are in disagreement with the recent SCotUS ruling that the right to firearms is an individual right in the face of the dozens of quotes in the writings of the founders that it is an individual right.

:rolleyes:

here's the thing. Most companies, factories, et al, require a minimum number of employees on site to remain operational. Having more than, say 10% of the staff often results in shutdown, particularly if any disproportionate number of them happen to work the same position. For example. If I should take time off, what does the guy who ships my product do for that day? Zip. If the two guys licensed to operate the forklifts demand the same day off, .... noone gets supplies to do their jobs. If the guys working the loading dock are off, you don't want the production line producing food that's gonna need to be stored for days, and also the truckers don't have anything to haul.

10% is a ballpark figure, but I do know it's very close to reality. That's why many companies with assembly lines require a 'shutdown' during the summer. The alternative would be people trickling in and out all year, and a logistical nightmare where granting vacation times ran into seniority and supply/demand issues. Some key positions are even more severe. They can go as tight as 1%.

Cleaning? paperwork? training? There is always something to do.

There's is no such thing. It is not in the Constitution. The court pulled it out of their ass.

Imagine this, though.

The ACLU is okay with the separation clause, that was based on a single letter from Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Church; but they still post on their website that they are in disagreement with the recent SCotUS ruling that the right to firearms is an individual right in the face of the dozens of quotes in the writings of the founders that it is an individual right.

:rolleyes:

um, pretty sure church-state separation goes 'lil deeper than that jim. right. the danbury letter. and, say, the part of the constitution that it references. oh yeah, and the humanist ideas underlying the enlightenment from which the constitution ultimately springs... just little shit like that.

but as to the ACLU, well, they've tried to claim that people have a constitutional right to state-funded abortions. how fucking kooky can you get? that's so far off the scale fringe it's nothing more than laughable.

Cleaning? paperwork? training? There is always something to do.

In this particular case, you're talking unionized assembly line workers. You do your job, only your job, and noone else's job, or the union comes down on you. I've gotten flak for emptying my own trash can in a union shop. This is usually the case in assembly line work, or any unionized shop.

um, pretty sure church-state separation goes 'lil deeper than that jim. right. the danbury letter. and, say, the part of the constitution that it references. oh yeah, and the humanist ideas underlying the enlightenment from which the constitution ultimately springs... just little shit like that.

But the actual words are not enumerated in the Constitution. There is nothing in the Supreme Law of the Land about it regardless of one man's opinion to the contrary, or the court's creative decision.

The letter was in reference to the portion of the BoR which creates a separation between the government and the establishment of a state church -- like the Church of England. The King was the head of the church as well as the head of the state.

This is what the First Amendment meant. Since the court ruling the "Separation Clause" has been taken to its wildest extremes by the likes of the ACLU.

Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists

The Final Letter, as Sent

To messers. Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson, a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem and approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful and zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, & in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more and more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection & blessing of the common father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves & your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

Th Jefferson
Jan. 1. 1802.

it's clear to me exactly what was meant by it, jim.

by the letter of it and by the obvious context.

if you read something published in 1944 referring to "the allies" you would hardly insist that the US, england, et cetera be spelled out one by one. in context, you know exactly what it refers to.

i'll be happy to recommend a good book on the enlightenment's effect on thinking in early 'merica if you're still struggling here.

Back